This challenge will last approximately 2.5 months. The goal is to make a complete "pong type" game with sound, menu, and so forth. Music is optional. A big part of this challenge is to get creative and go well beyond the minimum requirements.
- You have to have a "ball" which is not required to be round.
- You have to have a "paddle" that hits the "ball" and the "paddle" is not required to be any particular shape.
- You have to have "walls" that do not have to be flat, but the "ball" must bounce off the walls.
- The primary goal of the game would be to keep the "ball" inside the playing field.
- You have to have a clearly defined playing field and if the ball leaves that playing field that's a bad thing.
- You must have a menu system before the game starts up that you can select something on the menu to start the game.
- Some sort of score should be kept.
- You should have sound, but music is optional. (You could use this BFXR.)
- There should be a single player mode, and multi player mode would be optional.
- Entries must be submitted using XNA 4.0, XNA 3.1, or the latest version of MonoGame.
- Submissions must be submitted to BBeck via PM in a .Zip file before the deadline.
- "Register" to join by posting that you are joining in this thread before 23:59 November 1st, 2013.
- You are allowed to work on teams but mention who's on your team (like "My brother's doing the music.") in your registration post below.
- Obviously, don't break any copyright laws.
- I will be judging two completely separate categories with one focused more on game play and the other on art work.
Submissions will be scored according to the following weights:
- Bugfree - 10% (Every time it crashes, and yet is still playable, expect to have a point deducted. If it's unplayable then it will affect a lot more than just this score.)
- Number of Levels - 10% (Mainly, just the shear number of levels and overall amount of work that went into it. I'm a terrible twitch/button-mashing game player, so you may want to give me a "ridiculously easy" mode so that I can get past your first two levels. But even in easy mode it should progressively become more challenging and especially interesting. I prefer to play with the Xbox 360 controller, but I'll try not to deduct points for coding it to the mouse and/or keyboard.)
- Sound Effects - 10% (This includes both sound effects and music. Music is optional, but it will be part of this score and so having it will help a bit. Again, you can declare a friend as being on your team and have them record the music for you and such.)
- Animation - 10% (I think of animation as sprite sheets or skinned animation, but here the category means simply "movement". If it moves, it will be judged under this category whether 3D, 2D, or anything else. If a pixel on the screen changes, it falls into this category.)
- Menu - 10 % (Primarily having one as well as having instructions available from the menu.)
- Game Concept - 50% (This is kind of just the overall fun and coolness factor.)
- Music - 20% (This is the amount of music and just how impressed I am as a musician.)
- Sound Effects - 20% (Again, this is the amount of work and how much I am overall impressed. I will supply/link a synth so that everyone can at least produce the minimum requirements for sound effects.)
- Visual Artwork - 20% (Everything from line, to sprites, to 3D models.)
- Creative Game Play - 20% (This is just for "thinking outside of the box" and having levels and stuff that is just generally awesome and/or different (imaginative).)
- Work - 20% (This is just shear amount of content. 1,000 poorly hand drawn sprites should get some recognition against 1 superbly drawn sprite, for example. The superb sprite is likely going to be already getting recognition in the Visual Artwork.)
- Register by posting in this thread that you are going to participate and anyone that you are working with as a team no later than 23:59 November 1st, 2013 UTC.
- Entries must be submitted to BBeck via PM in a .Zip file no later than 23:59 December 1st, 2013 UTC.
- Expect it to take a week or two after that for me to go through all the entries. A 1st Place and Runner Up will be declared for the primary category, and a Most Creative will be declared for the Creative category.
If you have any difficulties with your project, feel free to ask for help in the XNA forum. I also hope you will chronicle your progress by posting in the main XNA forum here.
This post has been edited by BBeck: 15 September 2013 - 12:41 PM