XNA Game Programming Challenge 7 - Pong!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 9444 Views - Last Post: 14 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

XNA Game Programming Challenge 7 - Pong!

Post icon  Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

POPULAR

Official Entry - Please Sign Up Below

Challenge:
Make Pong!

Description:
This challenge will last approximately 2.5 months. The goal is to make a complete "pong type" game with sound, menu, and so forth. Music is optional. A big part of this challenge is to get creative and go well beyond the minimum requirements.

Requirements:
  • You have to have a "ball" which is not required to be round.
  • You have to have a "paddle" that hits the "ball" and the "paddle" is not required to be any particular shape.
  • You have to have "walls" that do not have to be flat, but the "ball" must bounce off the walls.
  • The primary goal of the game would be to keep the "ball" inside the playing field.
  • You have to have a clearly defined playing field and if the ball leaves that playing field that's a bad thing.
  • You must have a menu system before the game starts up that you can select something on the menu to start the game.
  • Some sort of score should be kept.
  • You should have sound, but music is optional. (You could use this BFXR.)
  • There should be a single player mode, and multi player mode would be optional.
  • Entries must be submitted using XNA 4.0, XNA 3.1, or the latest version of MonoGame.

Scoring:
  • Submissions must be submitted to BBeck via PM in a .Zip file before the deadline.
  • "Register" to join by posting that you are joining in this thread before 23:59 November 1st, 2013.
  • You are allowed to work on teams but mention who's on your team (like "My brother's doing the music.") in your registration post below.
  • Obviously, don't break any copyright laws.
  • I will be judging two completely separate categories with one focused more on game play and the other on art work.

Submissions will be scored according to the following weights:

Primary Category
  • Bugfree - 10% (Every time it crashes, and yet is still playable, expect to have a point deducted. If it's unplayable then it will affect a lot more than just this score.)
  • Number of Levels - 10% (Mainly, just the shear number of levels and overall amount of work that went into it. I'm a terrible twitch/button-mashing game player, so you may want to give me a "ridiculously easy" mode so that I can get past your first two levels. But even in easy mode it should progressively become more challenging and especially interesting. I prefer to play with the Xbox 360 controller, but I'll try not to deduct points for coding it to the mouse and/or keyboard.)
  • Sound Effects - 10% (This includes both sound effects and music. Music is optional, but it will be part of this score and so having it will help a bit. Again, you can declare a friend as being on your team and have them record the music for you and such.)
  • Animation - 10% (I think of animation as sprite sheets or skinned animation, but here the category means simply "movement". If it moves, it will be judged under this category whether 3D, 2D, or anything else. If a pixel on the screen changes, it falls into this category.)
  • Menu - 10 % (Primarily having one as well as having instructions available from the menu.)
  • Game Concept - 50% (This is kind of just the overall fun and coolness factor.)

Creative Category
  • Music - 20% (This is the amount of music and just how impressed I am as a musician.)
  • Sound Effects - 20% (Again, this is the amount of work and how much I am overall impressed. I will supply/link a synth so that everyone can at least produce the minimum requirements for sound effects.)
  • Visual Artwork - 20% (Everything from line, to sprites, to 3D models.)
  • Creative Game Play - 20% (This is just for "thinking outside of the box" and having levels and stuff that is just generally awesome and/or different (imaginative).)
  • Work - 20% (This is just shear amount of content. 1,000 poorly hand drawn sprites should get some recognition against 1 superbly drawn sprite, for example. The superb sprite is likely going to be already getting recognition in the Visual Artwork.)

Deadlines
  • Register by posting in this thread that you are going to participate and anyone that you are working with as a team no later than 23:59 November 1st, 2013 UTC.
  • Entries must be submitted to BBeck via PM in a .Zip file no later than 23:59 December 1st, 2013 UTC.
  • Expect it to take a week or two after that for me to go through all the entries. A 1st Place and Runner Up will be declared for the primary category, and a Most Creative will be declared for the Creative category.

Misc:
If you have any difficulties with your project, feel free to ask for help in the XNA forum. I also hope you will chronicle your progress by posting in the main XNA forum here.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 15 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: XNA Game Programming Challenge 7 - Pong!

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: XNA Game Programming Challenge 7 - Pong!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I will join!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hmm I think I will do this, mostly as an introduction to C# and XNA, more tools for the toolkit.

Sign me up :)

Apparently I will have to get VS2010 for this.

This post has been edited by Mylo: 14 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostMylo, on 14 September 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Hmm I think I will do this, mostly as an introduction to C# and XNA, more tools for the toolkit.

Sign me up :)/>

Apparently I will have to get VS2010 for this.

It's good to have you guys! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I need to make sure I said this in the rules, but this is open to XNA 3.1, 4.0, and the most recent version of MonoGame. You will need VS 2010 and XNA. Both are free downloads from Microsoft. Visual Studio or Visual C# 2010 express is a free edition, and then you have to install XNA 4.0 with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Sign me up too. :)

•Entries must be submitted to BBeck via PM in a .Zip file no later than 23:59 December 1st, 2013 UTC.

What will the entries be? Will it be the project file or only executables with content? Or like the installation package?

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Posttraxix, on 14 September 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Sign me up too. :)/>

•Entries must be submitted to BBeck via PM in a .Zip file no later than 23:59 December 1st, 2013 UTC.

What will the entries be? Will it be the project file or only executables with content? Or like the installation package?

Cheers!

At a minimum, what I need to run it. The entire project is fine, or just enough to run it is fine too. I don't usually trade programs with people like this. So off the top of my head, I'm not certain what the minimum to run it is. But I have XNA 3.1, 4.0, and MonoGame installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi all, I am new here, but not to XNA, I would like to give this a go, not really thought about it, but fancy giving it a go :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Count me in! New to this forum, but not new to XNA development.

Thanks
Peter.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Awesome! Welcome!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 aaron1178  Icon User is online

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Count me in BBeck, even though I have minimal XNA experience, I should pick it up very quickly. I would like to ask a question though, should it be a 2D, 2.5D or 3D game?

This post has been edited by aaron1178: 14 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Postaaron1178, on 14 September 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Count me in BBeck, even though I have minimal XNA experience, I should pick it up very quickly. I would like to ask a question though, should it be a 2D, 2.5D or 3D game?

BBeck told me it can be any D you want. xD

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

Another long time XNA user here, a friend linked to this earlier today and looks like something I might fancy having a bash at :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

Aw, man, my post seems to have been lost. :C Oh well.
TLDR
This'll be a good goal, I've never made a game before nor do I know what "XNA" is (I'm not kidding when I say I'm a noob) but 2.5 months isn't bad (especially considering I have nothing better to do), and having a deadline to figure it all out will get me going. :3 I'll mark the date on my calendar and start setting benchmarks.

Let's see how many silly mistakes I can make in that time frame! :clap:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Glad to have you guys join!

You can make it any 2D, 2.5D, 3D, or what ever you want as long as it meets the requirement. A big part of this challenge is to just make a complete game, which is something that is easy to avoid when you're learning, even if you've been doing this for awhile. I know I'm going to have to learn a couple things and do a couple things I've never done before to complete it, like learn XACT. Pong is easy enough that someone who has just started can do it, while someone who has vast experience can get imaginative and do it. I expect most people to do 2D, but you never know.

I won't be eligible to win in either category, obviously since I'm judging, but I'm going to make 3D pong just to join in and be working on it with everyone else. This is primarily about the camaraderie of getting together and working on the same thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

I forgot the link to BFXR and just added it. qwertyuu pointed it out the other day and I think it's pretty cool. At a minimum, someone could use this to produce sounds and meet all the sound requirements. You can just hit randomize to create new sounds and you can save them as .Wav files.

Incidentally, I have worked with synths for many years and even took a class with the University at Berklee on the Internet on synth programming. And I still find that just trying random stuff generally produces the best results. I understand a lot of the ins and outs of synths and when it comes to finding good sounds little of that helps. So, don't be afraid to hit randomize, just be careful that you save something good before you hit randomize again.

I wanted to make sound effects a requirement because it's so easy not to do sound when you're a game maker yet the game is really incomplete without it. I'm guilty of that a lot. So, I know for me, it's a challenge just to complete it with sound. I'm a musician and know how to produce sound, but I rarely put it into any of my projects and so have not even tried XACT for the first time. So, I'm looking forward to the sound requirement.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 15 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +