6 Replies - 1956 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How Long Would It Take Me To Learn Enough Programming To Start Earning

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hello all!

I do not know anything about programming at the moment. But I am considering learning it.

I am pretty good at math and I like problem solving.

How long would it take me to learn enough web programming to start earning money? I am mostly thinking about freelance work on sites like Elance or Odesk (Is that the right path for a beginner?).

So, I am not asking how long it would take to become an expert web developer, just to start earning. That would be my first goal.

Consider that I would put at least 8 hours of learning EVERY day. And I'm a pretty dedicated and motivated person.

I know it's a vague question and it depends from person to person but please give me a number.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How Long Would It Take Me To Learn Enough Programming To Start Earning

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How Long Would It Take Me To Learn Enough Programming To Start Earning

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

With knowing nothing about you, and you recognizing there is no definitive answer I will say four months to three years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I was originally thinking around a few years. But then I thought, I've heard stories of people getting everything down and start making money in as short as 6 months. However, I know they can't be that good, it takes practice. It would at least take them another 3-5 years to hone their skills. So, i'm leaning at around couple of years to make real dough, if that was your main goal. Please don't take offense. This is my opinion only.

This post has been edited by salazar: 14 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

6 ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

If your immediate goal is making lots of money as fast as possible, quit now, you won't make it. If your goal is to learn, to understand, to cultivate a passion and a lifelong interest, then you'll know when you're ready. There's not some magic number.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well, you guys are too harsh with him. It's true that you need years to learn how to code properly, especially when you're now to programming, but in fact as a freelance web developer you can jump on making money very fast.
The best thing you can do now is to surf and learn all you can do about HTML, CSS and JS, coding 6-8 hours a day for about 3 months. Don't stay too much on a thing, try to advance as fast as you can because you will understand and solve your past issues with new knowledge.
After this time, when you will alrady know what wbe development really is, you will choose one CMS (content management systems, look it up) like Drupal and Wordpress, at that time you will know the difference between them and you can make a whise decision. Here you will need about 2-3 months to learn it. You don't really need to know it by heart, you need to know enough to make something.
So in 6 months you should get all the knowledge you need to start as a freelance. In that moment you will make a portoflio based on what you already have done practicing, search some advices to know how to handle clients, but you will have enough knowledge to actually work for money.
But remember this is only a drop in the ocen, you will have to learn a lot while working. Clients will ask for things that you won't know how to do, you will yes you can do it, so you will be in position to learn something new really fast and do it.
I think you started already to search stuff about programming and you already have a vague impression about what you want to do. If not and you just posted here because you heard this is easy money and you want to make money for something else, you're not in the right place. You can reach big money, but after years of hard work, when you have a client network and good reputation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

There's a stark difference between being harsh and being realistic. Knowing the difference will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1