What was the most malware infected computer you ever saw?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 3426 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

What was the most malware infected computer you ever saw?

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I just uninstalled a bunch of malicious toolbars, removed 6 trojans, 300 tracking cookies (which aren't really malicious), 20 spyware programs, and a few other things from my parent's computer. I also installed a new antivirus. Lets just say that it runs one hundred times faster now thanks to me :D

Also, what are your favorite security programs to use? I am using Avast! Free, Zone Alarm, Malwarebytes, and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: What was the most malware infected computer you ever saw?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What was the most malware infected computer you ever saw?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

I uninstalled Windows once. That was pretty much it B)

Seriously though, I just install Avast on all the computers I'm responsible for, and tell people to always click "No", or "Cancel", or "Deny" in any dialog, unless otherwise instructed by somebody computer-literate. Has been working out fine so far, for the most part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

I've removed some facebook keyloggers this year. Most infected though was some poor girl that had her camera taken over, they took photos of her & wrote demands on them, threatening to post more to facebook (with her password acquired by a keylogger) if she didn't do things for them.

Though the infection wasn't that bad, it was the first time I had to deal with a police investigation for a customer.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

In high school, my friend had a habit of downloading things from limewire. Anything that had lesbian in the name, he downloaded it.

He had no anti-virus, So i set him up with Avast! After the scan, his computer actually ran like XP, and not at the speed of an old 95.

This post has been edited by Ticon: 15 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

When my brother discovered Diablo he went and downloaded some bot tool for it. That bot tool came with a virus, of course. I discovered this when I was trying to play a MUD and the system was just crawling. I start poking around, start getting all sorts of weird reactions. I open one thing, something else opens, it was weird. So I did some investigation (how I know where it came from, that virus was apparently exclusive to that program but was apparently prolific), checked all the various search engines for what might be the problem. Explained it to my mom, we went and bought Norton (I was a noob at this, I was like 12), installed it and scanned.

I swear every file on the system was infected. I didn't have any idea about how to reformat or anything, at this point I thought the computer was hosed if it was that bad. Did a boot-time scan. It took 3 days to complete, hundreds of thousands of files infected. Norton removed the virus and all seemed to be well after that.

And so I was become tech support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Postdepricated, on 16 September 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

I've discovered a great solution to this affliction: Always install the open-source/free equivalent of things for people, instead of the "correct" thing. - Like, install OpenOffice/Libre Office instead of MS Office. That one alone is almost a guarantee that people will go to that other IT savy guy in the family instead of you from now on :)
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostAtli, on 16 September 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

I've discovered a great solution to this affliction: Always install the open-source/free equivalent of things for people, instead of the "correct" thing. - Like, install OpenOffice/Libre Office instead of MS Office. That one alone is almost a guarantee that people will go to that other IT savy guy in the family instead of you from now on :)/>

“If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor
Maybe they won't let you
Dry the dishes anymore”

― Shel Silverstein
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostAtli, on 16 September 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

I've discovered a great solution to this affliction: Always install the open-source/free equivalent of things for people, instead of the "correct" thing. - Like, install OpenOffice/Libre Office instead of MS Office. That one alone is almost a guarantee that people will go to that other IT savy guy in the family instead of you from now on :)/>

I meant that was what lead to me developing the skillset I did to start in tech support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

My parents got a virus on their computer a few years back. To this day I don't know what caused it, but the symptoms developed over time. First the computer was becoming slower and slower. I ran a scan and the scan removed some things, and all was well for about 2 days. Then It started becoming slow again, and so I ran a 2nd scan, this time the scanner didn't find anything. I did some basic troubleshooting things, and ended up stopping some processes from starting on boot using msconfig, the most curious one being ABCD.exe, then restarted. When the computer came back on I tried opened task manager and saw something running that I had turned off in msconfig. I tried stopping it through task manager and I got a message saying I didn't have the correct permissions to do it, even though I was admin on that computer. I restarted into safe mode and the process was running there as well. I booted back into normal windows and suddenly I no longer had a taskbar, my background was black screen, and my desktop icons were all broken. I couldn't open task manager anymore either. I ended up re-installing because I didn't have access to anything, Just a black screen with broken icons on it that didn't work :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

All of your icons were hidden. That's common for the rouge software alerts to further sell the 'something is wrong'. After the offending program is removed, it kicks into gear & hides everything. Running a simple attrib -h will bring them back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

I often have to repair friends laptops and PC's

The worst I have had is 1648 virus entries 10 trojans and 350 tracking cookies on a very unresponsive laptop.

I use a combination of Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Pretty much in combination with an antivirus removes everything a few things I had to remove manually from the Task Scheduler.

That was a lot of restarts and a fair few hours. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

My parents computer has an old Athlon II CPU. It took me forever to remove everything :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

To combat the speed issues, I don't even scan the hard drives in their own infected environment. I like to think that I have a fairly nice setup.

But I'm also doing many per week, not just one here & there for a friend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

So the scans on my computer would run faster if I booted to Arch Linux on my secondary hard drive and ran a scan on the first hard drive's Windows partition?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well yeah, a windows virus can't run when it's mounted on a non-ntfs executable file system. If it's running at startup, & everything is at a crawl... well then that's the environment you get to scan & clean in.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +