How's it going with the Pong challenge!?

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

199 Replies - 12474 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

How's it going with the Pong challenge!?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

I wanted to get a thread started just to have a place where everyone can discuss what they're up to with the Pong challenge. (Signup in the Challenge forum.) It's okay to start a separate thread of your own, but I thought if we kept it in one thread (unless the thread starts getting super long) we would be less likely to miss it when someone posts. For example, just being subscribed to this one thread should get you an email every time someone posts an update to this thread whereas you would have to subscribe individually to everyone's thread if they create a separate thread.

So how's it going?

I'm going to participate, even though I'm judging and thus will not be eligible to win in either category.

Anyway, I just woke up a little while ago, and have dedicated the day to this (although I really need to find some time to mow the lawn - I know you were dying to know that). :rolleyes2: But I'm just trying to figure out where to get started.

I plan on doing a 3D version of Pong. I can kind of see what I want in my head although I've never seen anything exactly like it before. I can even hear some of the sounds I want. But this will be a fairly huge undertaking for me and something that goes way beyond the minimum requirements or basic pong.

I've looked at some ideas on the Internet too.

Anyway, I thought it would be best to make something close to just basic old standard pong, to get started with. A prototype, in 2D, if you will. And make it so that it is a full game except for composing music. That way I'll be certain I have all the non-3D concepts figured out and get an idea of how to organize the game code. Plus, I may be able to do Proof Of Concept for ideas in the 2D version before I try and implement them in 3D.

So, today is going to be about getting the basic 2D game going.

How is your's coming along?

This post has been edited by BBeck: 15 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: How's it going with the Pong challenge!?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How's it going with the Pong challenge!?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Game Design Phase!! And mine will probably turn out WAY different than basic pong. But It will have all the requirements you posted on the signup page.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

That's good! I listed the requirements so that it should have at least some sort of pong/break-out feel, but left them loose enough that you can get pretty crazy with it if you want.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 15 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

I intend to spend at least a month learning before starting. I don't really have any special idea yet, but I have time to think about them.

The 3D pong sounds interesting, not quite sure what that would look like.

Also, a question, I don't have an XBox controller to use, since I don't have the cable/receiver, but I do have a PS3 controller with MotionInJoy that I can emulate the XBox controller with. However, will such things as the sensitivity of sticks be the same for me as it is you?

This post has been edited by Mylo: 15 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostMylo, on 15 September 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

I intend to spend at least a month learning before starting. I don't really have any special idea yet, but I have time to think about them.

The 3D pong sounds interesting, not quite sure what that would look like.

Also, a question, I don't have an XBox controller to use, since I don't have the cable/receiver, but I do have a PS3 controller with MotionInJoy that I can emulate the XBox controller with. However, will such things as the sensitivity of sticks be the same for me as it is you?

I may be doing just that. That and procrastinating. :boat: I was going to post at the end of the day what I got done, but the day is almost over and the biggest thing I've gotten done, is figuring out that I need to take a step back and learn about advanced game state management. So, I need to make a prototype gamestate manager before I make a prototype game.

3D Pong would look something like this. That's not exactly what I had in mind, but I found that the other day and it at least shows that the general concept is doable. And interestingly enough, I find this easier to play than the 2D versions of pong I've found on the Internet.

So, with the PS3 controller, I don't know. It might work fine. You can send me a test program, if you like and I could tell you whether it seems to work okay with my Xbox controller or not.

I also should have mentioned that I basically have a touch pad on my main computer. So, a touch controller is within the realm of possibility too.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

<completely irrelevant>

3D Pong would look something like this. That's not exactly what I had in mind, but I found that the other day and it at least shows that the general concept is doable

I love that game! Must have spent hours playing that.

</completely irrelevant>

As you were...

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 15 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

It's kind of fun. And it was the first time I've ever seen a 3D pong game. It's somewhat similar to what I envisioned with the paddle moving on a 3D plane for a 3D pong game.

The biggest problem I have with it is that I'm using a touch pad to play it and my finger slides further than the paddle goes if I'm not careful. So, I end up having to slide my finger extra far in the opposite direction to get back on. But the more I play it, the more I get used to having to keep my movement conservative.

But I originally found that on a site that had several different versions of pong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Ahh, CurveBall, I know I enjoyed playing that a long time ago. I'd be interested to learn the math behind that actually.

It seems this challenge will be a very good learning exercise (more than I expected it to be) to those in game development.

This post has been edited by Mylo: 15 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I know exactly what I want to make, and while it may be waaaaaaay out of my league right now (I'm only just figuring the logic behind movement and collision detection ; ▿ ;"") I figure it's better to shoot higher than lower :3

Of course that makes it difficult to keep focused on the basics. But I'm doing my best!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Postmimimintan, on 15 September 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I know exactly what I want to make, and while it may be waaaaaaay out of my league right now (I'm only just figuring the logic behind movement and collision detection ; ▿ ;"") I figure it's better to shoot higher than lower :3

Of course that makes it difficult to keep focused on the basics. But I'm doing my best!

I'm kind of stretching myself a bit too.

But there are a lot of people here. If you get stuck on something just post and I'm sure we'll try to get you un-stuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Nothing is impossible if you take the time to find out/learn how to make it. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

I am just designing some concepts of design and implementation of some basic features. Other than that, I will be learning XNA over the coming weeks.

It's also handy to have my Wacom Bamboo Tablet, since I plan on doing 2D pong game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

3D Pong would look something like this.

hmm, while lit looks 3D, I would say that is 2D, but a true 3D version would be good, when I first started out learning XNA I created a 3D version of break out, here is what it looked like:-

My current idea is 2D, with a working title of "PonGun" lol, thinking of having the ball as a turret that the last player that hit it can control, as well as allowing the player paddle to have a gun too. Thinking of having it so you need to defend bases behind the paddle and you have to use the ball and paddle to shoot your opponents bases while defending your own, the ball could/would turn to a bomb on impact with a base, paddle and all shots would just remove base shields but you would need to hit them with the ball to destroy them. With floating pickups you can re enforce you shields or get better weapons etc..

Still not even created a project yet, so still very early days lol

This should be fun :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

You're probably right about it actually being 2D. Without the camera moving, it's pretty easy to fake 3D. Of course the math behind it is still 3D as it can bounce off the x or y walls as it moves through z. I think the ball is the only thing that really acts 3D. You could probably scale the sprite by dividing by the z depth and translate the position by also dividing the position by the z depth (so that you get perspective and everything appears to converge at the center of the screen as it gets further away). So, I could definitely see where they might be drawing in 2D even though the functionality is happening in 3D such as moving the ball with a 3D vector and such.

Your 3D breakout looks really good.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this challenge!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, as you can tell I wrote it a long time ago 2007 is the date on that post :S

Yes, I started a 2D shooter using the layer depth for the Z, and ended up with a 2.5D shooter and this was the result, I did a similar thing in another recent 2D game here which worked out OK too.

Quite looking forward to having a go at this, as ever time is my issue, but hope to spend a bit on it soon :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »