JAVA Game Making....?

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

19 Replies - 1991 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2013 - 09:40 AM Rate Topic: ****- 2 Votes

#1 ChickenBullet  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 12-August 12

JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hello there,

I just started Programming in java, and my question is,
Is java good for making games that you can SELL?
I do not really know if java is good for developing games, and my only question is, Is java good for making GAMES.

Thank You. :smile:

PS.: Do not leave comments please like "lol n00b" etc.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: JAVA Game Making....?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10469
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,809
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Moved to Game Programming.

Generally, no, Java is not a language used in the industry or making indie games. If you are interested in learning Java for your own purposes, we do have a Java Game Programming Thread you may find helpful. If your goal is to get into the industry, you'll want to look more at C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 ChickenBullet  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 12-August 12

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 September 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Moved to Game Programming.

Generally, no, Java is not a language used in the industry or making indie games. If you are interested in learning Java for your own purposes, we do have a Java Game Programming Thread you may find helpful. If your goal is to get into the industry, you'll want to look more at C++.


Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Ryano121  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1362
  • Posts: 3,002
  • Joined: 30-January 11

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

*
POPULAR

Although it does depend on where you intend on selling your games. If you are wanting to make games to sell on Android devices, then yes Java is the language for you, however other than that take macosxnerd101's advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#5 axel1994  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 83
  • View blog
  • Posts: 167
  • Joined: 27-May 13

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 September 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Moved to Game Programming.

Generally, no, Java is not a language used in the industry or making indie games. If you are interested in learning Java for your own purposes, we do have a Java Game Programming Thread you may find helpful. If your goal is to get into the industry, you'll want to look more at C++.


But Java can be used to program games.
Indie games (and mobile games) are sometimes written in Java.

But indeed, if you want to get into the industry then C++ is required.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 ChickenBullet  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 12-August 12

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

SUPER FAST REPLIES. AWESOME!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10469
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,809
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I completely forgot about Android and Mobile games! Yeah- if you want to make Android games, Java is the language you'll want to pursue. We do have a bunch of Android tutorials you can check out, though I suggest having a firm handle on the basics of Java first.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 ChickenBullet  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 12-August 12

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

View Postaxel1994, on 15 September 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 September 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Moved to Game Programming.

Generally, no, Java is not a language used in the industry or making indie games. If you are interested in learning Java for your own purposes, we do have a Java Game Programming Thread you may find helpful. If your goal is to get into the industry, you'll want to look more at C++.


But Java can be used to program games.
Indie games (and mobile games) are sometimes written in Java.

But indeed, if you want to get into the industry then C++ is required.


I started learning java because I wanted to make Android games :)

Thanks for the fast replies
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 Rhino1111  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 97
  • View blog
  • Posts: 226
  • Joined: 28-August 13

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yes, Java is good enough for making games. Not AAA titles, or for any type of industry work, but for indie-game development it has and still is used.
The real question is, Will you be able to make the game good enough for it to sell?
How will you get your game noticed, so you can actually make sales?

The latter is actually one of the hardest things about indie game development. You can create a great game and it's easy for it to go un-noticed.

Also, if you're creating disc copy/pay for install kind of games, you really need to worry about pirating. If I remember correctly, Game Dev Tycoon (an indie game that used this kind of model), ended up having like a 95% pirating rate, with only 5% legit sales. This isn't too uncommon either.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 ChickenBullet  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 12-August 12

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

These replies are crazy fast. Thank you guys!

View PostRhino1111, on 15 September 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Yes, Java is good enough for making games. Not AAA titles, or for any type of industry work, but for indie-game development it has and still is used.
The real question is, Will you be able to make the game good enough for it to sell?
How will you get your game noticed, so you can actually make sales?

The latter is actually one of the hardest things about indie game development. You can create a great game and it's easy for it to go un-noticed.

Also, if you're creating disc copy/pay for install kind of games, you really need to worry about pirating. If I remember correctly, Game Dev Tycoon (an indie game that used this kind of model), ended up having like a 95% pirating rate, with only 5% legit sales. This isn't too uncommon either.


I read an article about that on a news page and i also read they made fake torrents XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 axel1994  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 83
  • View blog
  • Posts: 167
  • Joined: 27-May 13

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostChickenBullet, on 15 September 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I read an article about that on a news page and i also read they made fake torrents XD


Indeed.
They released some copies of their own game for torrents.
Their was 1 catch through.

If the player would get a big enough company in the game, people would pirate it. (which would ruin the game)

It was kind of amusing seeing people complaining about getting their vitual games getting pirated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Ryano121  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1362
  • Posts: 3,002
  • Joined: 30-January 11

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Which interestingly ended up being quite a good marketing stunt which gained them a lot of interest in their game (and possibly brought them more legit sales).

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 15 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 Flukeshot  Icon User is offline

  • A little too OCD
  • member icon

Reputation: 415
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,030
  • Joined: 14-November 12

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

Java is a perfectly acceptable platform to build games with.

It's not the most popular choice (C++ and C# are generally chosen over Java for game development) but it works.

The only differences between Java and other programming languages is really syntax and API. At the core, they all do the same thing: interface with the computer. The most important thing about game development is a vast understanding of the language you have chosen to use.

You can't just pick up programming and then voilà - a game pops out. Learn the language of choice on the basis of becoming a programmer. The ulterior motive of game development is dangerous, the bar is just too high and makes most people just give up.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 ChickenBullet  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 12-August 12

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

public class MainClass {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        stopReplyingPlease();
        ThankYou();
    }
}



Thanks for all the replies

@Flukeshot Ok
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 grimpirate  Icon User is offline

  • Pirate King
  • member icon

Reputation: 149
  • View blog
  • Posts: 714
  • Joined: 03-August 06

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

*
POPULAR

Spiral Knights is a mainstream online game that was created by SEGA (world-renowned game company) and is coded in Java. There's also Wakfu, which was originally a Flash game called Dofus, but later expanded to become Wakfu and is Java-based. The company Puppy Games uses Java to code all of their games.

All that those examples illustrate is that Java is just as effective to code games in as any other language. The whole compile once, debug everywhere rap that Java gets is typically a result of poor programmers, not Java. If the programmers don't understand the subtle differences between Unix and Windows systems then they code accordingly (i.e. not cross compatible). However, if you apply proper programming practices, and stick to using core Java wherever possible, then you essentially help yourself by instantaneously making any application (game or otherwise) instantly available on 3 different OSes (Win, Mac, Linux).

Is it easy? No. Is there a depth of documentation available? No. Why? Because the overall shared developer opinion is that games should be coded in C (or some derivative). Why C? Because everything is available for C before it's available for anything else. It's a numbers problem, not an "better" problem.

If you want to start somewhere with Java game programming then I suggest java-gaming.org.

If you want to see a very rough example of a simple game coded exclusively in Java, this is an example of Battleship Solitaire that I worked out (and I'm by no means any sort of developer/programmer/etc. just a hobbyist). There are other examples too from this very forum and its members: Tetris, Pong.

Programming (in this day and age) is only limited by imagination/talent, less so by the language you choose (speaking in terms of higher level languages and abstractions).
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2