JAVA Game Making....?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1898 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2013 - 09:40 AM Rate Topic: ****- 2 Votes

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: JAVA Game Making....?

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Java is a great language for cross-platform game development. You can target the web, windows, android, and osx with little changes between the four, and with things like codenameone, you can target windows and ios devices in Java as well. With its ease of use and plentiful online resources, it makes little sense to even consider another language if you are targeting the above platforms.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 15 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

View Postgrimpirate, on 15 September 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Spiral Knights is a mainstream online game that was created by SEGA (world-renowned game company) and is coded in Java. There's also Wakfu, which was originally a Flash game called Dofus, but later expanded to become Wakfu and is Java-based. The company Puppy Games uses Java to code all of their games.

All that those examples illustrate is that Java is just as effective to code games in as any other language. The whole compile once, debug everywhere rap that Java gets is typically a result of poor programmers, not Java. If the programmers don't understand the subtle differences between Unix and Windows systems then they code accordingly (i.e. not cross compatible). However, if you apply proper programming practices, and stick to using core Java wherever possible, then you essentially help yourself by instantaneously making any application (game or otherwise) instantly available on 3 different OSes (Win, Mac, Linux).

Is it easy? No. Is there a depth of documentation available? No. Why? Because the overall shared developer opinion is that games should be coded in C (or some derivative). Why C? Because everything is available for C before it's available for anything else. It's a numbers problem, not an "better" problem.

If you want to start somewhere with Java game programming then I suggest java-gaming.org.

If you want to see a very rough example of a simple game coded exclusively in Java, this is an example of Battleship Solitaire that I worked out (and I'm by no means any sort of developer/programmer/etc. just a hobbyist). There are other examples too from this very forum and its members: Tetris, Pong.

Programming (in this day and age) is only limited by imagination/talent, less so by the language you choose (speaking in terms of higher level languages and abstractions).

And don't forget the big guy: Jagex.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

And of course also Mojang.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think people get too stuck up on which language to choose and most of the time it doesn't even matter, heck Roller Coaster Tycoon was made in assembly. Java is an incredibly capable language and if you use something like openGL that knowledge is easily transferable to another language like c++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostChickenBullet, on 15 September 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hello there,

I just started Programming in java, and my question is,
Is java good for making games that you can SELL?
I do not really know if java is good for developing games, and my only question is, Is java good for making GAMES.

Thank You. :smile:

PS.: Do not leave comments please like "lol n00b" etc.

In my opinion I feel Java is best to start learning Game programming it has must of the basics of C++ without all of the window programming, well not as complicated. It's great for learning engine structure and game math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +