3 Replies - 333 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Basic Data Collection and Processing

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I am very new to this and need some help to be pointed in the right direction and some terminology to do further research with.

I am an engineering student and have recently started work on project outside of university. I have a small amount of web knowledge but need to learn a lot more for this project.

The project requires a user to log in to an external devices, measurements to be collected from the device, sent to a server for storage (I think?) then processed and viewed on a computer at a different location. I am trying to research more about this but stuck on what terminology to search for.

Any help or tutorials would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Basic Data Collection and Processing

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Basic Data Collection and Processing

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

What kind of device and how might they log into it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

Prototype will have a log in of a user ID and pin number that will be expanded to scanning a bar-code to log in.
The device will be some kind of crude computer... Touch screen monitor, analogue to digital convert, whatever other hardware we need to deal with the sending of data. I know this is kind of vague but without knowing how we go about this and what hardware/system is required it is difficult to say what the device will be. We will build the device (wont be an iPad or something) and must be relatively small.

I know it must be difficult with that sort of description, but any help or point in the right direction would be appreciated!

Thanks for the reply!

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 16 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

The project requires a user to log in to an external devices

that poses the question, what transfer protocol do you use, HTTP, TCP, UDP, …? depending on that both sides need to be able to understand that protocol.

measurements to be collected from the device, sent to a server for storage (I think?) then processed and viewed on a computer at a different location.

is there another computer between device and user? how separated are device and this proxy? what should serve the processed data (views) to the user?

Any help or tutorials would be appreciated!

yet too vague that there’s the possibility of a tutorial (tutorials often discuss a certain detail problem or give an overview. if you want to build a complete system from scratch, you need a manual).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1