2 Replies - 1390 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online CS Schools.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hello all. I`m sure this has been asked before and I`m sure I wont be the last to ask it.. (wow did that make sense)

I`m 31 years old. I have a 8 year old and a kid soon on the way. My wife works full time and so do I as a FireFighter/paramedic.

I have an AS in compute science (networking mostly) and I`ve come to find I love programing. I`ve taught my self the basics in C# and Java. The fire Department is Great and you can beat only working 3 days a week. But the stress of the job, being away from the family and the pay is doing a toll. MY wife went to UOP (university of phoenix) and go her Masters in accounting and she seemed to like it. She was able to get a good job off her degree but we will be paying for that loan for 30 years lol. I have a GI bill that I can use so I am not worried about the cost of school. What I am worried about is what time of ONLINE programing skills I will learn if I went to UOP or some other online school. Going to a local school is kind of of card because my shift days rotate. (24hr on 48hrs off)I don't mind long distance learning I did it when I was paramedic school. I`m very interested in CS and it might be something worth doing. I`m not expecting to work at Microsoft but I could see my self making decent money in the field.

So will I be able to learn something at a online school.
Can any recommend a decent on for CS.

I know al of community colleges have online programs.. That might be a option.

thanks
GA

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online CS Schools.

#2 Michael26  Icon User is online

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online CS Schools.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Have you seen any of these?

Stanford Programming Methodology (CS106A)
Stanford Programming Paradigms (CS107)

Khan academy

But as always when i have question i need answered i come here or to stackoverflow.

This post has been edited by Michael26: 16 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Online CS Schools.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Postlegion1202, on 16 September 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Hello all. I`m sure this has been asked before and I`m sure I wont be the last to ask it.. (wow did that make sense)

I`m 31 years old. I have a 8 year old and a kid soon on the way. My wife works full time and so do I as a FireFighter/paramedic.

I have an AS in compute science (networking mostly) and I`ve come to find I love programing. I`ve taught my self the basics in C# and Java. The fire Department is Great and you can beat only working 3 days a week. But the stress of the job, being away from the family and the pay is doing a toll. MY wife went to UOP (university of phoenix) and go her Masters in accounting and she seemed to like it. She was able to get a good job off her degree but we will be paying for that loan for 30 years lol. I have a GI bill that I can use so I am not worried about the cost of school. What I am worried about is what time of ONLINE programing skills I will learn if I went to UOP or some other online school. Going to a local school is kind of of card because my shift days rotate. (24hr on 48hrs off)I don't mind long distance learning I did it when I was paramedic school. I`m very interested in CS and it might be something worth doing. I`m not expecting to work at Microsoft but I could see my self making decent money in the field.

So will I be able to learn something at a online school.
Can any recommend a decent on for CS.

thanks
GA

I just want to give you a heads up before you enroll somewhere, universities or colleges that are primarily online can often be shady. Theres really no good way to bring this up once its been done, but places like UOP offer degrees that aren't recognized in the same way traditional degrees are (while being more expensive in many cases). It comes down to accreditation, UOP is nationally accredited, most universities are regionally accredited. The latter is what you want.

I just want to tell you, if you look for an online degree, just make sure its a reputable school. I know Penn State offers IST online, not quite Comp Sci but it has a lot of programming. Other Universities offer online degrees too, you just gotta check into them first.

UOP is whats known as a for-profit university (different from private), avoid those if possible. I'm not saying a degree from one of those places is useless, but to say that your job and academic opportunities are the same would be a lie, and even the federal government has taken notice to this to some extent.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 16 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1