5 Replies - 1213 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

• Let it rip!
  • member icon

• View blog

question about moving hdd to new box

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

I am thinking about getting a new desktop box together with more everything. I am running a hp DC7100sff to the max. the poor thing is having trouble keeping up and I think its time to move on. My question is I like my setup now and would like to just move the disks that I have and try to repair windows on the the new machine. Can I just move the bootable drive c: and start the win 7 CD in repair mode? Will it be able to fix the driver issues and such or should I just start fresh and recreate my system?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: question about moving hdd to new box

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: question about moving hdd to new box

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Personally - I would just start fresh with a new copy of Windows7. That assures you won't have odd cruft and buildup floating around.

Though be mindful - HP/Dell/Sony/etc have gotten into a habit of not providing an install disc, but instead just 'recovery media'. That means it is restored to factory settings/apps/etc from when it shipped, and *NOT* a bare bones WIN7 install. They also decided to tighten the thumbscrews a bit more and only allow fresh installs on hardware identified as the box/model you have.

So.. you may need to pick up a OEM copy of Win7 as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Unless there are drivers in Windows for the hard drive that are specific to your current machines form factor, the hard drive should still boot the Operating System.

The problem that you will have are all of the existing drivers will load & fail, time out, whatever, & none of the hardware that requires drivers will work.

Yes you can do a repair install. But if all you want to save is your environment, why not backup the user data, & the desktop configuration? Then do a fresh install, & restore. I think the payout of the hassle will not be worth the speed hit, & working out intricate driver details/conflicts.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Let it rip!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thank you modi123_1 and no2pencil for the input.

you may need to pick up a OEM copy of Win7 as well.

I actually have 2 legal copies of Windows 7 from when I was in school.

Yes you can do a repair install. But if all you want to save is your environment, why not backup the user data, & the desktop configuration?

This is what I thought, just curious if there was a plug and play type way to do it that I didn't know about. I will just start fresh and make a new install and restore like you said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm not sure I understand you situation. However from what I think i understand is you want to move your hard drive to a brand new computer that has WIN7. just install the hard drive into the system unit and format it if needed and you will be able to access the data on the new computer but it won't be your boot able hard drive unless you select that option in BIOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've done this before.

When you boot up the new PC for the first time, Windows will mostly likely go crazy on you as it panics and loses all the devices it had drivers for and finds a whole host of new ones. Once it finds the drivers for those though, it'll be fine.

I've also done this with a recovery CD from Dell, but that was for Windows XP. Again, it just goes a bit loopy until it finds the right driver files. Usually it's all working within a reboot or two.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1