Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

22 Replies - 29350 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

#1 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

Just bought a Mac Mini specifically to learn to program for OS X first and then later try IPAD/IPHONE apps. Coming from .NET programming...Visual Basic and Visual C# which I have been doing on the job for years. Just want to try something new.

Looking for best books. Am thinking of trying the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C and Cocoa programming books. Any body want to give a review of what you thought of these books...or suggestion to better books if they exist.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

#2 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Postderrellgore, on 18 September 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Just bought a Mac Mini specifically to learn to program for OS X first and then later try IPAD/IPHONE apps. Coming from .NET programming...Visual Basic and Visual C# which I have been doing on the job for years. Just want to try something new.

Looking for best books. Am thinking of trying the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C and Cocoa programming books. Any body want to give a review of what you thought of these books...or suggestion to better books if they exist.

Thanks


I am currently studying objectivce-c with little to no programming experience. I have found The Wiley Objective-C Developer reference book great book.

Amazon Link


Not bad of a price on there either.

Good luck my friend
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

I downloaded the Big Nerd Ranch Book.....also bought the new version which is suppose to come out this week. Finding Objective-C to be very challenging coming from a Microsoft background. Would be great to get some talk going here...keep me informed of how you are doing and I'll do the same.

View Postpctech5510, on 23 November 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

View Postderrellgore, on 18 September 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Just bought a Mac Mini specifically to learn to program for OS X first and then later try IPAD/IPHONE apps. Coming from .NET programming...Visual Basic and Visual C# which I have been doing on the job for years. Just want to try something new.

Looking for best books. Am thinking of trying the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C and Cocoa programming books. Any body want to give a review of what you thought of these books...or suggestion to better books if they exist.

Thanks


I am currently studying objectivce-c with little to no programming experience. I have found The Wiley Objective-C Developer reference book great book.

Amazon Link


Not bad of a price on there either.

Good luck my friend

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I will indeed my friend.

Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postpctech5510, on 23 November 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I will indeed my friend.

Thank you


I am suppose to receive the new version of the BIG NERD RANCH OBJECTICE-C book tomorrow. Not sure how different this is than the previous version but supposed to be more geared for XCODE 5. I know the interface for XCODE has changed since 4.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yes it has. I find it much easier to use and navigate around. I like it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

View Postpctech5510, on 25 November 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yes it has. I find it much easier to use and navigate around. I like it


The day I got my Mac Mini XCODE 5 came out so I haven't used 4...just see differences in the books...so maybe I started at a good time. :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

View Postderrellgore, on 25 November 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

View Postpctech5510, on 25 November 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yes it has. I find it much easier to use and navigate around. I like it


The day I got my Mac Mini XCODE 5 came out so I haven't used 4...just see differences in the books...so maybe I started at a good time. :bananaman:/>



I just received a macbook air ( 2001 ) with o/s mavericks. It has Xcode 5 loaded. I love the interface!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postpctech5510, on 28 November 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

View Postderrellgore, on 25 November 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

View Postpctech5510, on 25 November 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yes it has. I find it much easier to use and navigate around. I like it


The day I got my Mac Mini XCODE 5 came out so I haven't used 4...just see differences in the books...so maybe I started at a good time. :bananaman:/>/>



I just received a macbook air ( 2001 ) with o/s mavericks. It has Xcode 5 loaded. I love the interface!!!



Got the new book...now to get going. Starting tomorrow I am devoting all at home programming to Objective-C. I program in C# at work all day so we'll see how confusing that gets. I have already learned that Objective-C is a new kind of beast for me...I normally can start going in any language pretty easily but I already started and stopped on the Mac Mini once...got caught up in a work project and had to quit for awhile. It is definitely not Microsoft.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

I do like it, I am growing to see that my macbook air was a bad choice for app dev lol!! not enough screen room, but!! it is portable#1

So i'm torn!! I suppose a mac pro would do me better ? maybe two 23' monitors ? lol just an excuse to buy another mac!

Let me know how it goes!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Since I already had a nice pc with two 27 inch monitors...I bought the I7 Mac Mini at B&H for $754 and then I bought 8GB ram real cheap...this is great for programming which is really I wanted it for. Actually we bought the I5 at work for less than $600 and if I had waiting till I saw that that would have been plenty. I have no problems with speed whatsoever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

And nice thing about the mac mini is I still have room to upgrade to make it better...I can put a 2nd hard drive in it...I can put a hybrid or ssd in it and I can still add a lot more memory if I need to. I probably would not have ventured into the Mac arena at all if this didn't exist.

My wife gave me permission last year to buy a 27" Imac and I just couldn't make myself spend that much to get so little. I ended up building a kick-ass pc for the same amount of money that will blow any mac away except maybe the new pro.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Quote

I am suppose to receive the new version of the BIG NERD RANCH OBJECTICE-C book tomorrow. Not sure how different this is than the previous version but supposed to be more geared for XCODE 5. I know the interface for XCODE has changed since 4.


I just picked up this edition as well. So far it looks easier to read. Good choice for a beginners book!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 derrellgore  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 16-September 12

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Postpctech5510, on 04 December 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Quote

I am suppose to receive the new version of the BIG NERD RANCH OBJECTICE-C book tomorrow. Not sure how different this is than the previous version but supposed to be more geared for XCODE 5. I know the interface for XCODE has changed since 4.


I just picked up this edition as well. So far it looks easier to read. Good choice for a beginners book!


I am definitely a beginner at Objective-C....I switched from Visual Basic to C# without blinking an eye...but I am finding Objective-C to be a real challenge.

I also bought their Android book and it is really good as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 pctech5510  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-November 13

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

The first challenge i was stumped, as \n i didn't know was create a new line. As i have no back ground in programming, It does take you through some basic C . Which is good for me to catch up to where i should be. This will be interesting to say the least..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2