Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 29340 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Books for Objective-C, XCode, Cocoa, etc.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

This will also be helpful if you ever try Java. Most of what is in this book for C is almost exactly the same as Java. I am no expert at Java yet either but have done some of the basic stuff. Then if you try C# you will also see several similarities...although I thing C# is the easiest of the 3 to learn.

It is the Objective-C part that is so different than any of the other three.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

View Postderrellgore, on 18 September 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Just bought a Mac Mini specifically to learn to program for OS X first and then later try IPAD/IPHONE apps. Coming from .NET programming...Visual Basic and Visual C# which I have been doing on the job for years. Just want to try something new.

Looking for best books. Am thinking of trying the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C and Cocoa programming books. Any body want to give a review of what you thought of these books...or suggestion to better books if they exist.
Thanks

Big Nerd is a good but I believe you should look at these three books and in this order.
IOS 7 Programming Fundamentals by Matt Neuburg
Programming IOS 7 - by Matt Neuburg
IOS 7 Programming Cookbook - by Vandad Nahavandipoor
Programming in Objective-C 3rd Ed, by Stephen G. Kochan
IOS 7 by tutorials 2nd ed by Ray Wenderlich
How to make an iPhone App by Matt Campbell
I have a very large collection of programing books and I use these as my bibles. As mentioned, I have a large collection of ebooks on computer programing using IOS which is my emphasis. IOS. I also go to school for computer science which is not so great, so I use my books to learn. They are great books for starters. If I can help you in any way please let me know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

I first read objective c for dummies (i know). It was ok. Things started to click months afterwards after doing ray wenderlich's online tutorials. Seems like everyone uses him these days. Any way my rating for the book is 7/10. I think the internet tutorials works best. I daily look for good objective c references because the ones on apples website truly suck. Let me know if you find some good sh*t.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postderrellgore, on 18 September 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Just bought a Mac Mini specifically to learn to program for OS X first and then later try IPAD/IPHONE apps. Coming from .NET programming...Visual Basic and Visual C# which I have been doing on the job for years. Just want to try something new.

Looking for best books. Am thinking of trying the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C and Cocoa programming books. Any body want to give a review of what you thought of these books...or suggestion to better books if they exist.

Thanks

I use the John Ray "iOS application development in 24 hours". It's good if you start iOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

I can vouch for both iOS 7 and iOS 8 Cookbooks by Vandad Nahavandipoor. I've used it so much that I memorized how to spell his name. It gives very nice solid examples for everyday iOS development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

Personally, if you already have a background in programming, I would say just use the different internet resources. The Apple's Documentation for their development tools and languages are rather extensive and well written. You would be doing pretty good just to look at that documentation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Well my Mac programming adventure came to an end. I had a Mac Mini with 16GB of ram. Last OS/X update and my mini kept crashing. Found out that Apple did something to make this happen if you are using 3rd party memory. I guess they thought I would just spend money and replace the memory I had already been using for three years...not going to happen. Sold the mini on Ebay and am now back with C# as my primary language. This is why I am forced to hate Apple. They can keep their crap and I am better for it. Funny I actually sold the 3 year old mini for more than I paid for it brand new...are you people that brainwashed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#23 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

Well, ya win some and you lose some.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +