Grade my connection logic..

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

47 Replies - 2175 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2013 - 02:42 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Grade my connection logic..

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thank you @Andrew! I was so burnt yesterday I had to step back for the evening. Have you ever read so many different docs and tuts that they all just kinda got blurry and confusing? Yeah. I'm forcing myself to take lunch today, apparently breaks are very valuable to my thinking processes.

I also have to split my time between cleaning up my application, and getting my last piece of functionality working. I don't know how much I can ask here about that part, since it is proprietary and I have signed a confidentiality clause.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hmm.. can someone direct me to the spoiler tags? I don't see them anywhere.

Anyway.. I was looking back on page 1, at how Curtis used a List to hold his data so you don't have to keep hitting up the database.

I'd never heard of lists before, so I hit up MSDN and saw Lists and Dictionaries LinkedLists and Queues and I am now thoroughly overwhelmed. So.. say I were to use a list, that is what is meant by a persistent dataset, right? So, I'm thinking I would load it when my app first starts up. Then I use that list for all of my queries? And say a user decided to add something at runtime, I would add it to the database, then INSERT it into my list, correct? Or would I add it to the DB, destroy the list and make a new one? Does it even matter how I did it since the List is disposed when the program ends.. I guess not. LOL I should have stopped at the page for List.

I just want to make sure I understand this before I go screw my software (copy) up.

Edit: I did find a very user friendly tutorial here , I was more wondering about the logic/best practices side of things.

This post has been edited by synlight: 30 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just use the spoiler tags

Spoiler

You don't have to destroy list every time you need to make change, you can always add or remove items from existing list. List dynamically resize

This post has been edited by Michael26: 30 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First