1 Replies - 5387 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2013 - 08:04 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Land Your Next Web Development Job: The Interview Process

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

http://www.smashingm...erview-process/

This is probably universal across the dev world, but there is a web dev bent to it.

During my career as a software developer and manager, I have been involved in many interviews. Whether the interviewer or interviewee, I have always paid special attention to the interview process.

In my current role, I spend a lot of time interviewing potential employees, so Iíve seen my fair share of good and bad interviews. Some candidates stand out from the crowd immediately, while others are just another face in a million. In this article, Iíll give you a few tips and a head start on your next interview. Whether your next interview is your first or twenty-first, hopefully these tips will help you along the way.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: [link] Land Your Next Web Development Job: The Interview Process

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Land Your Next Web Development Job: The Interview Process

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Considering I recently got a job as a Web Dev, some things that I would say to do:

• Get code on GitHub. Make projects, show you know how to branch and work with issue trackers. It's HUGE. Everyone uses VCS, and not having clear knowledge of something like Git is a deal breaker.
  • Have a Portfolio and a Blog up and active. It shows you can get something live, and you enjoy what you do.
  • Know the super stars in your language community. If you're interviewing for Ruby and don't know the names Aaron Patterson, DHH, Avdi Grimm, or Ben Orenstein you're missing out on a HUGE deal of the community. They tend to set the mood for the community, and likely your potential coworkers.
  • You had better be able to tell them why they should hire you and what you think you can do for them, and sound confident in it. No one wants someone who isn't sure of themselves and what value they can deliver. They're not here to hold your hand into the scary job world, they need people who can do work.
  • Everything you put on your resume is fair game, and assume you will be drilled to death on it. I listed Scheme, which is a fairly obscure one in larger companies, and got pretty well hammered on it. Good thing I knew it.
  • Know the tech stack you're working with inside and out. Quick! What happens when you load a Web Page! Can't answer me? Work on that, now, as it will kill you.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1