1 Replies - 626 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

hi o/

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to programming.
My experience prior to C# is a some simple desktop applications in Visual Basic.

I've bought a few books for beginning programming in C#. Currently I'm working myself through "Beginning Visual C# 2012 programming".

I'm about halfway through the book and I've been doing chapter by chapter. Some of the concepts have been hard for me to learn and I'm starting getting tired of only doing console applications presented by the author. The last few chapters I feel I have been skimming through fast to get to the point in the book which really interests me the most at the moment:
reading and writing data to files and serialization.

I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm wondering, would I be better of just going to the chapter that interests me the most and go back to the other chapters afterwards?
The author chose to almost save this bit almost as the last part of the book and rushing through the chapters is no good if you don't fully grasp what's going on.
On the other hand some part of me says follow chapter by chapter, because there must be some good reasoning behind the structure of the book.

All in all I just wish the author presented reading and writing data earlier in the book so I could do some programming of my own for learning. There's not many applications I find worth making which does not have the ability to save and load data. We have barely touched upon desktop programming which I find odd in a book called "Beginning Visual C#..."

How did you guys start off learning programming? Did you just learn some new stuff here & there?
Did you read and follow a book chapter by chapter?

On the horizon I also want to be able to pull data from different websites by doing queries of some sort.
Is this possible, if yes which programming concepts do I look into for this?
Take for instance a webpage that hosts character profiles for a game. Would it be possible to pull that kind of data out without know what to search for?
Could I pull out data from a webpage that hosts tv schedules?

Thanks for reading :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: hi o/

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: hi o/

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Seems like I missed the introduction template. Since I can't find a way to edit my opening post I'll just have to reply to my own post it seems :)

Name: Johnny
Birthdate: 10.02.1980
Sex: Male
Height: 170cm
Weight: 95kg
Hair: Short/brown
Eyes: 2
Education:
Programming Languages: C# and some Visual Basic
Years Programming/Designing: 0
Employer: University of Stavanger
Hobbies/Interests: Gaming, science, music,
Favorite Bands: AES DANA, Solar Fields, H.U.V.A Network, Asura, Future World Music, Audiomachine
Favorite Movie: The Shawshank Redemption
Favorite Color: Red
Favorite Number: 8
Favorite Beverage: Pepsi Max, Root Beer
Favorite Food: Pizza
Favorite Sport: MMA
Favorite Phrase:
Favorite Animal: Cat
Favorite Video Game: Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Favorite Quote:
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

- D. H. Lawrence
Dislikes: Vegetables
Last Good Book I Read: Don't read books unless enforced to
If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be:
Photographic memory
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1