4 Replies - 516 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2013 - 05:23 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

I've just started a Diploma of Game Development

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hey guys,

I thought I'd open a new topic just to let you all know, that I have just started a Diploma of Game Development. The course is online through distant education at a college about 2/3 hours away. The primary reason I am doing it online, is because I work full time as a Panel Beater(Cars) and it ties into my schedule. I've chosen to do the diploma first, mainly because I did not go right through school, I got my certificate in year 10, then left, as I did not want to go to year 12. So completing this diploma, will allow me to gain access to Qantm College here in Australia.

Also @BBeck, I might be a little slower on the Pong Challenge now.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: I've just started a Diploma of Game Development

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I've just started a Diploma of Game Development

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Bitch'n.

What's the curriculum like?
Am I to understand a 'diploma' is not like a Associates or Bachelor's degree?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Sounds pretty nice.
How long will the course take?

Why don't we do a pong challenge (or something similar) for other languages/frameworks aswell?

This post has been edited by axel1994: 24 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Awesome! Good luck! And about the Pong Challenge, we've got a lot of time built into it for things like "life" getting in the way. :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

I think Programming is one of those subjects that you can actually learn better working at home, rather than in a class, As long as the course does provide some support/tutoring in case you run into problems, need questions answered, etc.

I say this because I know somebody who went to college for programming, and he says the classes move by so fast. You basically have a professor that talks about the concepts for an hour+, with little to no practical application of the concepts (such as using an IDE and programming while explaining). Basically they talk about the concepts, then assign you work where you need to apply them. If you didn't manage to fully grasp something during that lecture, tough luck, you'll need to look it up on your own time. (Not sure if all colleges are like this)

Working at home from some guided structure achieves the exact same thing, but if you don't understand something, you can easily step aside from the course work, look at some other references to fully understand the concept(re-read them as many times as you need, etc), then come back to where you left off with a fresh head. You can't really do the same during a lecture, and the professor sure as hell wouldn't spend a lot of the class time just to explain that certain concept to you.

Ok. Done rambling.
Hope it works out for you! I'm planning to take some game development courses online next year too, mainly cause the college is a 2hour drive from me and I don't want to move that far away from my current life, but also because I learn better when I'm working/learning on my own terms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1