• Last »

156 Replies - 10018 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Fall/Winter 2013 Fitness

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

For those not in the know we've taken a positive action on fitness in the community. Most of us sit hunched over a desk in florescent little self made caves for entirely too long each day. What can we say - we love what we do. It doesn't mean that we can go off and neglect our health! A few less hot pockets, giant redbulls, and fast food coupled with maybe taking the stairs, going into that not-so-scarey thing called a gym, or taking up an outdoor hobby can do wonders for a better sense of well being.

If you have questions about where to start, the benefits, tips on what to work on, interesting articles and finds, or just feel like toot'n your horn on personal achievements drop them here. Also if have tips on any healthy recipes or routines we welcome those!

There's never a bad time to start and everyone is quite helpful. If you have questions just ask!

---------------

Another seasonal change is upon us folks (most of us) and that means a good time to mix up the ol' routine for weather changes or just to screw with that muscle memory. Is anyone feeling a solid plan change, trying a new routine, or decided to mix up their goals for this season?

Personally I've been slacking something stupid the last month or so and really need to redouble my efforts on getting a consistent gym session in each week. I am also considering picking up a stationary bike or Elliptical (well less so the latter just for size) before the snow sets in. I figure I am feeling bleah about pumping the iron I can at least do a bit of cardio. Does anyone rock stationary equipment at home?

Goal wise if I can just be more consistent I should be in good shape! While not plunging into madness of el-bee loses I am still making gains.

How about everyone else? Any major changes from their summer routine to winter routines? New dietary tricks, paths, or recipes? Goals to hit by the end of the summer?

---------------

Miscellaneous links:
supersloth created a fitocracy dic group..
100 no-equipment workouts

Historical links:
(for ideas check the first posts, and general commentary, research, etc)
Spring-Summer 2013
Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness
Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness
Fall/Winter 2011 Fitness
Summer 2011 Fitness

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 22 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fall/Winter 2013 Fitness

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2013 Fitness

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I broke my leg, so I'll be spending all winter doing rehabilitation exercises and core strength (which I've been neglecting for a while). Things are going well though, I'm almost back to jogging after breaking my leg almost 4 months ago.

I also intend to start doing in-home calisthenics. Gotta build that muscle back up. Maybe even supplement a little with GNC products. I'd eventually like to get back to the gym though. Dumbbells are so god damned expensive! Doesn't make any sense.

I'd also like check out CrossFit.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 25 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

That's a bummer to hear about your leg. Yeah take it easy on the leg - it would be hell if it heals warped!

Are there any GNC products you've been eyeballing? I've always had a slight uneasy relation with them and Complete Nutrition.. I guess the inner skeptic jumps out more when I think it might be snake oil.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

That's a bummer to hear about your leg. Yeah take it easy on the leg - it would be hell if it heals warped!

Yeah, the orthopedic doctor kept saying "Have you injured your ankle before? You have bone spurs. You might not heal completely." I'm shut the f*** up. Don't tell me that! Go in there for one thing, and come out with another. I tried to enter rehab as early as possible, so I could work on my dorsiflexion as much as possible before the bone fully heals. They're already trying to kick me out, so I guess I'm doing better than expected.

Are there any GNC products you've been eyeballing? I've always had a slight uneasy relation with them and Complete Nutrition.. I guess the inner skeptic jumps out more when I think it might be snake oil.

Not anything in particular. I need to do my research. It's been awhile since I've used supplements. I don't remember the essentials. I also have to wait until I stop some other medications before I start using them. I'll probably use something like CellTech -- an all-in-one anabolic support powder. There must be newer products out by now. CellTech is pretty expensive as well, so I'll probably go for something cheaper. What exactly is your problem with GNC products? GNC specifically or lifting products in general?

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 25 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

My issue is every so often I pop in and the folks working are trying to have me walk out two hundo in product.. like absurd shit. "No - I am not trying to *GAIN* mass so I do not want a oil drum of creatine!" sort of conversations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

I see. So you just looking for strength, and not mass so much. I've personally always liked mass, but not if it means getting fat. Of course, diet is more important than anything. Creatine is funny. If I'm not mistaken it's most useful for muscle energy, allowing you to go harder for longer periods of time. I've also read that it makes your muscles retain water, thus increasing mass, but only for as long as you take it. If you could find something to support muscle grow and endurance, that would definitely help you. Maybe protein powder, amino acids, or something like that. Olympic lifting and explosive exercises may be beneficial as well.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 25 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Sure.. it's not a bulking issue but a less fat issue. Ha.. so less fattie beef cake and more down to my fight'n weight.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sure.. it's not a bulking issue but a less fat issue. Ha.. so less fattie beef cake and more down to my fight'n weight.

Ha. You can run and lift as much as you want, but without a diet, you're wasting your time. I got 28 yrs of experience with that one. When I left my house and went to college where food was scarce, I lost dam near 50 lbs (with lifting and basketball). Gained it right back when I came home. My eyes are bigger than my stomach.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 25 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

I know, right? I've cut my weekly food down to a damn near regiment of items.. not only does that help with a consistent bill, but balances out brown bagging it for work and simple meals for dinner. Meat, wild rice, fruit and/or veg. Boom!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

After putting on a stone last August I have now lost the stone this August,

I went running, did sit-ups and press-ups.

Eating less biscuits.

Eating more fruit instead.

People say I must feel better and have more energy now...

But I can say honestly that I dont feel any different.

I have my flat stomach back and my small moob situation has disappeared, my chest area is looking perky.

Last August I moved into a new house and I think the stress of the move just made me eat like a bear.

Now that I am less stressed I am eating sensibly but of course the original weight gain would not shift hence the running and sit-ups.... the press-ups just there to eliminate moobs.

I think running with targeted area fat removal is the quickest way to lose weight.

if your fat is on the belly---- do situps.
if on the bum -------- do squats.
if on the hips ------- do waist aways...

and so on and so on...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

View Postsnoopy11, on 26 September 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

After putting on a stone last August I have now lost the stone this August,

I went running, did sit-ups and press-ups.

Eating less biscuits.

Eating more fruit instead.

People say I must feel better and have more energy now...

But I can say honestly that I dont feel any different.

I have my flat stomach back and my small moob situation has disappeared, my chest area is looking perky.

Last August I moved into a new house and I think the stress of the move just made me eat like a bear.

Now that I am less stressed I am eating sensibly but of course the original weight gain would not shift hence the running and sit-ups.... the press-ups just there to eliminate moobs.

I think running with targeted area fat removal is the quickest way to lose weight.

if your fat is on the belly---- do situps.
if on the bum -------- do squats.
if on the hips ------- do waist aways...

and so on and so on...

Sorry to burst your bubble but "targeted area fat removal" is just a myth.

http://www.yalescien...yth-or-reality/

Ultimately, fat loss comes down not to targeted exercises, but to the basic principle of how many calories you expend versus how many you take in. Doing 100 crunches a day can effectively strengthen your abdominal muscles, but it probably will not make them any more visible unless you also take other steps to reduce your overall body fat. If you combine cardiovascular exercise with weight training and sensible nutrition, however, those fat cells will not stand a chance.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

Well, right at the end of summer I hit 169lbs (target is somewhere the 155-160 range) after being stuck between 171-174 for months. Then I was doing pull-ups and feeling good going for a knew max and on number 9 I held my breath and tensed up and pulled a tendon in my neck. Gave me the worst back of the head headache I have ever had for 2 days. After, doing some research figured out I jus had to rest and let it heal. My birthday fell in there and my mom made me like 4 dozen cookies and several birthday dinners and lunches later I gained back up to 175. I am losing it faster this time already back down to 172 in a week.

Trying to figure out a new running schedule with the days getting shorter. Too dark in the morning before work and gets dark way to fast at night. I have also been practicing a little bit of parkour. Basically starting with some jumping and rolls. Been watching Jessie La Flair youtube videos and trying some of that stuff out. My wife thinks I am a little crazy having just turned 32 and trying to vault over walls and jump up on things. It is fun doing it with my kids. My 4 year old son has a blast and picks it up very quick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 25 September 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

... Creatine is funny. If I'm not mistaken it's most useful for muscle energy, allowing you to go harder for longer periods of time. I've also read that it makes your muscles retain water, thus increasing mass, but only for as long as you take it.

It helps your muscle re-build so you could train next with less rest aswell..!

I really need to get back on it..!
I'm getting hip-handles and all sorts ..NOT GOOD..!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 September 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

My issue is every so often I pop in and the folks working are trying to have me walk out two hundo in product.. like absurd shit. "No - I am not trying to *GAIN* mass so I do not want a oil drum of creatine!" sort of conversations.

I have had the same thing happen to me at GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe. I was just looking to see what all the hype was about. I don't really want mass I just want to be able to move my own weight around easily and just be strong. I just try to eat more protein less carbs and drink milk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

I've started doing burpee push ups (at least I think that's what they are called). I do them until I feel like I'm going to throw up or pass out.

Usually this is less than 10.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »