• +
  • Last »

156 Replies - 10384 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2013 Fitness

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

snoopy11 : I feel you on that. I've been stressed for a while, and that contributed heavily to my weight gain. I exercise regularly, but I'm in my house most of the day, so I'm not burning calories like I should be. Furthermore, I'm at the mercy of my parents eating habits, so I can't eat how I'd like to. I'm lucky I'm managing to stay somewhat fit. I'm working with some boobage, but I'm at that fine line of looking athletic and just plain overweight. I really need to shed some pounds.

Working out and stuff never gave me more energy. If anything it leaves you feeling tired and achy the next day, but it makes it easier to get up and start your day. You don't get into that slump of doing nothing and sitting around the house bored as hell all day long. It's sort of mental. You're more likely to play a sport or something active on a daily basis, especially when you've just done it not too long ago. Your body and mind is in that beast mode, and you want to continue feeling healthy and maintaining a healthy body.

It helps your muscle re-build so you could train next with less rest aswell..!

I see. If I know anything, I know it works! I used creatine with lifting during my prime growth years, and my chest blew up. I'm so much more bulkier than anyone in my family. Surprisingly, despite not lifting consistently for the past 5 years, I'm still bulky. I lost a lot of my bicep and trap muscle though.

Trying to figure out a new running schedule with the days getting shorter. Too dark in the morning before work and gets dark way to fast at night. I have also been practicing a little bit of parkour. Basically starting with some jumping and rolls. Been watching Jessie La Flair youtube videos and trying some of that stuff out. My wife thinks I am a little crazy having just turned 32 and trying to vault over walls and jump up on things. It is fun doing it with my kids. My 4 year old son has a blast and picks it up very quick.

I love parkour. We used to try to do that stuff all the time as a kid. Too old now. Too many responsibilities. Breaking my leg again isn't going to happen.

I've started doing burpee push ups (at least I think that's what they are called). I do them until I feel like I'm going to throw up or pass out.

Until now, I've always underestimated the power of plyometric/calisthenic-type exercises. If you do them right and maybe even modify them slightly to add more difficulty, they can really do a number on you. Makes you think that lifting weights is actually a less intense workout. There are plenty of professional athletes (e.g. Herschel Walker) who got jacked without weights. Still though, I like weights because it allows you to focus on a single muscle and really push it to its limits. Calisthenics usually involves several muscle groups, and almost always your trunk muscles.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 26 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

I came across this gallery in imgur.

No equipment 30 day workout program

looks solid.

Edit: and this one too:

Beginner's Health and Fitness Guide

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 26 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 26 September 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

I've started doing burpee push ups (at least I think that's what they are called). I do them until I feel like I'm going to throw up or pass out.

Usually this is less than 10.

If they're the same ones I did in the RN, then good for you. Our PTI's (Physical Training Instructors) used them when they were feeling malicious, or rather, more malicious then usual.

With time you should be able to increase the number you do. I'm not an taught expert, but given my background, have a lot of knowledge bouncing around my noggin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Just finding time to work out can be a huge obstacle for most. One thing I've found that works is to take 15 minutes in the morning to jump start your metabolism with a high intensity workout. Something like jumping rope for 15 minutes will burn as many calories as jogging for half an hour and will rev up your metabolism earlier in the day to help you burn more calories while at rest than you would otherwise. If you're like me, you shower in the morning anyway, so getting up 15 minutes earlier to get a workout in is no big deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postbelgarion262, on 26 September 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but "targeted area fat removal" is just a myth.

Ultimately, fat loss comes down not to targeted exercises, but to the basic principle of how many calories you expend versus how many you take in. Doing 100 crunches a day can effectively strengthen your abdominal muscles, but it probably will not make them any more visible unless you also take other steps to reduce your overall body fat. If you combine cardiovascular exercise with weight training and sensible nutrition, however, those fat cells will not stand a chance.

You are not really bursting my bubble.

I didn't say just use targeted exercises I said 'running' with targeted exercises has worked for me.

If you combine cardiovascular exercise with weight training and sensible nutrition, however, those fat cells will not stand a chance.

This is basically what I did except I did sit-ups and press-ups instead of weights.
Not really much difference is there ?

Best Wishes

Snoopy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

View Postsnoopy11, on 29 September 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

This is basically what I did except I did sit-ups and press-ups instead of weights.
Not really much difference is there ?

Best Wishes

Snoopy.

I found doing push-ups , chin-ups...etc. Get you stronger than lifting weights, I think weights are more for sculpting your muscles..But i suppose alot of it comes down to how you train with the weights..!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Well my son's 4th birthday is in 2 weeks and he wants Spider-man to come to his party. I found a suit on Amazon for a reasonable price. So now I have 2 weeks to lose this last bit of belly I have. I am trying this low carb diet. Reading about how most of the people that bulk up and cut do it by cutting carbs so I figure I will try it. One thing I now know from doing all the research is just how many carbs are in all the fruit that I eat. Geez, no wonder my belly wouldn't go away. I am going to workout hard and stick to this no more than 20g of carbs a day for the next 2 weeks and hopefully I will get a completely flat belly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

@Apokio I've had some good results with regards to carbs. My trick wasn't sticking to less than x grams, it was limiting what time of day I ate them. I basically only eat carbs before midday, and I have a fair amount of them. Up at 5am, have a pre-gym shake on my way out to the gym, come back and have a large bowl of porridge with a banana, chug a 1ltr bottle of water and have a redbull (the redbull lasts me about 2/3 hours as I only sip it every now and then). At around 9am I have some nuts and a piece of fruit. Around 11:30am I have grilled chicken breast with brown rice - and the rice is the last of the carbs I'll have that day. (Sometimes I switch it out for a tuna/chicken/turkey sandwhich, or a pasta based lunch.)

The rest of the day I eat every couple of hours but small high protein, zero carb meals like chicken with veggies or salads. It's a bit of a pain to stick to but it has been working wonders for me.

---

I've been trying to recently up my cardio ability. I have been running in the past but it's always been more of a light jog over a long distance.

One of my close friends recently joined the army, and was working on his fitness for a while. He said he had to run a 1.5 mile in 11 minutes. He was training for it a lot last year, and in january I gave it my best shot (no where even close as this was around the time I had just started getting in shape.)

I used runkeeper to track thinking one day I could compare results, and in Augast I tried it again. Here are my results compared:

Posted Image

As you can see my time has improved but It's still pretty bad. I don't think I'm used to running at pace for longer durations. In your opinions, if I want to improve on it, should I keep running my longer distances at a slower pace, or start running the 1.5 at my best pace more frequently?

And you can also see on the images where the incline kicked my ass, considering I was already out of steam.

This post has been edited by Slice: 03 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

That still is one hell of an improvement! When I was trying to improve my 3 mile times I just kept running the 3 miles. I run shorter distances at the same pace but I am not near as tired. A couple of weeks ago it was getting dark so i went for a quick run and tried to run at a faster pace. I did 1.40 miles is 12:32. I have read two different opinions on training for certain distances and some people say just keep doing that distance and try to improve and others say to change it up and go further to increase stamina or do interval sprints to increase speed and stamina. I am on the side of just go run and do what is fun and keeps you intrested. I went through a sprint for 30 secs walk for 1 minute phase, to just running 3 miles at a time. Just keep it up and you will get it, you really don't have much more to improve on.

My low carb diet is really working out. I have dropped 4 lbs in 4 days and 3% in body fat. I notice my stomach getting flatter and more side abs showing through. I haven't had a chance to add some real cardio to this because I have had to mow grass on Monday and Wednesday and Tuesday is bowling night. I have however been doing body weight training. I start with 3 sets of pull-ups/chin-ups to the max each set. 3 sets of 10 inverted rows. 3 sets of 10 burpees with push-ups and the jump squat, between burpees I do a plank for as long as I can and side planks on each side as long as I can. 3 sets 0f 12 diamond pushups, 3 sets of 20 regular body squats, and 3 sets of 25 crunches. Overall I am feeling good but really missing fruit, but after my sons birthday I will add fruit back into my diet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostApokio, on 03 October 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

That still is one hell of an improvement! When I was trying to improve my 3 mile times I just kept running the 3 miles. I run shorter distances at the same pace but I am not near as tired. A couple of weeks ago it was getting dark so i went for a quick run and tried to run at a faster pace. I did 1.40 miles is 12:32. I have read two different opinions on training for certain distances and some people say just keep doing that distance and try to improve and others say to change it up and go further to increase stamina or do interval sprints to increase speed and stamina. I am on the side of just go run and do what is fun and keeps you intrested. I went through a sprint for 30 secs walk for 1 minute phase, to just running 3 miles at a time. Just keep it up and you will get it, you really don't have much more to improve on.

Anything is better than nothing, but most runners trying to improve their three mile time do a variety of things to get faster:
1) Intervals (800m, 1200m repeats for time, for example)
2) Tempo runs (~4 miles, 75% of race pace)
3) Fartleks (ignoring the name, basically a continuous run with pick ups at regular intervals)
4) LSD (Long Slow Distance)

Obviously this really only matters if you're serious about dropping 5k times, but I figured somebody might be. I'm actually in the process of re-introducing intervals to my workout - it's great, but also a sad reminder that I'm getting old. Gone are the days of fast miles, for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've actually started trying to do my carbs at the end of the day. A late, big, carb-heavy dinner helps me sleep more soundly and be much less hungry in the mornings. I try not to break my "fast" until around noon, and then grab a pretty serious snack around 3:30 or 4:00 and then eat my giant dinner around 8:00. Even though I spend less time "fed", I'm generally less hungry when I follow that pattern.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Dropped off a lot of weight and have been doing 12-15 reps per set. But with winter approaching it may be time to reactivate beast mode.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

View PostSlice, on 03 October 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

@Apokio I've had some good results with regards to carbs. My trick wasn't sticking to less than x grams, it was limiting what time of day I ate them. I basically only eat carbs before midday, and I have a fair amount of them. Up at 5am, have a pre-gym shake on my way out to the gym, come back and have a large bowl of porridge with a banana, chug a 1ltr bottle of water and have a redbull (the redbull lasts me about 2/3 hours as I only sip it every now and then). At around 9am I have some nuts and a piece of fruit. Around 11:30am I have grilled chicken breast with brown rice - and the rice is the last of the carbs I'll have that day. (Sometimes I switch it out for a tuna/chicken/turkey sandwhich, or a pasta based lunch.)

The rest of the day I eat every couple of hours but small high protein, zero carb meals like chicken with veggies or salads. It's a bit of a pain to stick to but it has been working wonders for me.

---

I've been trying to recently up my cardio ability. I have been running in the past but it's always been more of a light jog over a long distance.

One of my close friends recently joined the army, and was working on his fitness for a while. He said he had to run a 1.5 mile in 11 minutes. He was training for it a lot last year, and in january I gave it my best shot (no where even close as this was around the time I had just started getting in shape.)

I used runkeeper to track thinking one day I could compare results, and in Augast I tried it again. Here are my results compared:

Posted Image

As you can see my time has improved but It's still pretty bad. I don't think I'm used to running at pace for longer durations. In your opinions, if I want to improve on it, should I keep running my longer distances at a slower pace, or start running the 1.5 at my best pace more frequently?

And you can also see on the images where the incline kicked my ass, considering I was already out of steam.

Assuming you're refering to the PFT (Personal Fitness Test) it's also not just a run. You first do 2 minutes of situps and pressups (each), and usually aim to get at least 60 of each. Then you have to do the group warmup (800m, or 1/2 mile) before you go into the 1.5 mile (2.4Km) run. The pressups don't really affect the run, but the situps really tense you up. And the "warmup" (which is compulsory btw) doesn't help either. The times for the actualy run also vary based on age. For instance, I was aiming for below 10mins 30secs, though in reality we all wanted at least below 10 mins (never aim for the minimum etc). My CO who was 50 still beat most of us (usually getting around 9mins dead).

And this is just the base level of fitness for non front line troops. The front line troops have to do a CFT (Combat Fitness Test), which is even harder.

This wasn't meant to be a rant/lecture. I was just happy I saw something mentioned that i had a lot of knowledge on :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

benched 215x6x3 last week. almost of my goal of 225x5.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thats really great. I just benched 210x5 the other day, and was working on getting that up to 220
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »