• +
  • Last »

156 Replies - 10040 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2013 Fitness

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I've gotten really friggin lazy since my kid quit karate and I can't go to the gym there anymore. It's not her fault. I'm not blaming her in the least. I'm blaming my own fat ass.

Anyway, I got really lazy and progress slowed to a halt... breakfast from Arby's, lunch from Burger King, WAY too much time on the couch... every. single. day. Not to mention I started bringing vending machine money to work again so I could make cash sacrifices to gods of captive chocolate.

Last week, I was severely craving vegetables and realized that I just felt like a blubbery, lard assed, lump of fleshy ooze. So I decided it was time to do something about it.

I hit the grocery store and stocked up on organic fruits and veggies, greek yogurt, protein bars, etc, etc. And started getting up an hour earlier in the morning (Hello, 4:30AM! How the hell are ya?) and jumping back into the living room aerobics/calisthenics/yoga, cooking breakfast, packing lunch, planning for dinner (no more "Fuck it, let's order pizza... again").

I've also made a commitment to stop smoking. Again. I managed to stretch one pack of cigarettes across three days this weekend (a nice change from the almost-full pack a day I've been sucking down the last few weeks). I smell a little better. I can breathe a little easier. And the sore throat is disappearing.

I've also been setting an alarm to remind me to take my multivitamin and my required iron supplements (as a chronic anemic, not bothering to take my pills for several weeks may have contributed, ever so slightly, to my lack of desire to move. Maybe. Just... maybe).

What I've discovered in less than a week is that I have enough energy now that I don't need a lunch hour nap anymore. In fact, I tried to take a nap today over lunch and couldn't do it.

I feel fantastic for a change!
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Clean break of my Fibula in June........Finished rehab in 3 weeks...........Now able to jog and jump high (somewhat at least).............Bone healed (assuming)............Back to regular workout schedule except now I work on rehab exercises, trunk exercises, weight lifting, and a little cardio.

I suspect I won't get back to 4.4 forty for at least a year :)/>/> , but my progress is very good. Certainly better than I had anticipated.

They charged me $1500 for * 6 HOURS OF REHAB! * over 3 weeks. Healthcare costs are absolutely insane. Somebody ought to create a website with specific rehabilitation exercises categorized by injury. BTW, in case anybody is interested, here's the website physical therapists use. They have a nice exercise library with videos and PT stuff.

As you can see my time has improved but It's still pretty bad. I don't think I'm used to running at pace for longer durations. In your opinions, if I want to improve on it, should I keep running my longer distances at a slower pace, or start running the 1.5 at my best pace more frequently?

Slice: It sounds like you're trying to tone up. Your diet seems a bit nontraditional (e.g eating chicken breast at 11 am), but cutting carbs and eating mostly protein, should help to keep the weight off. I believe in the efficacy of that type of diet.

I'm going to throw this out there as a different approach to your (and whoever else's) exercise regimen. IMO, I would be surprised if running longer at a slower pace significantly changed the benefits you're getting now. Running puts strain on your pulmonary system mostly, not your muscles so much. You need to periodically shock the body as well by switching up what you do to stay fit. They say low-intensity for long distances (~3 mi for example) is the best fat burning method, but I think that in regards to picking a distance to run. There's so much more than just running.

You'll wear out your ankles and knees much sooner than doing shorter distance stuff. Most of us (non-competitive runners) can't maintain a correct running form for more than a mile. Then we fall into that heal-toe form the rest of the distance, barely even working our lower legs. We're just in it for the distance, energy burning, etc. The distance is an accomplishment and its motivating, almost addicting even, but what's the use if you could gain a lot more from doing things another way. Running and not doing anything else is a easy trap to fall into. I don't know if that's a problem for you.

As mentioned by xclite, truly improving distance times involves a more complicated routine of intervals and fartleks, and all that good stuff.

After running 6-10 mi a week for the past 3 years, and then getting back into rehab (and doing more lifting and cross-training), I realized how much more effective it was at wearing me out. You can maintain the same (and probably a better) calorie expenditure and heart rate doing a good mixture of weight/cross-training exercises. Running for long distances really only made running long distances easier physically and mentally. It also kept me from gaining weight and maintaining good lower body musculature, despite not lifting and having terrible eating habits. Beside that I didn't get too much more out of it. I'd rather have my heart rate go super high periodically, while maintaining 65% of my MHR during most of my workout, from doing a variety of high-intensity/short-duration cardio/strength exercises.

I believe there's a middle ground. Perhaps running only mile at the beginning or end of an intense workout is enough to satisfy your cardio requirements. Your workout could consist of weight training, core training, agility and explosive exercises. Building muscle will help you look slimmer and burn more calories, better than running any day. Ideally, you'd combine the two.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#33 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

That seems awfully fast. Are you a wizard?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

NeoTifa: I take it you're referring to my comment. It was a joke.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 07 October 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

NeoTifa: I take it you're referring to my comment. It was a joke.

Spoiler

Explanation

For general informative purposes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

I've been eating the same breakfast every day since the start of my latest foray into fitness: a peanut butter protein bar, a greek yogurt, an apple, and a black coffee. It's been enough to keep me full until 1PM. Works beautifully.

I had my last yogurt yesterday and didn't feel like running to the store last night. So I added a second apple to my breakfast this morning instead, thinking the extra fiber from the apple would have a similar effect. I was wrong. It's 9:15 and I'd punch a baby for a snack right now. My lunch is looking awfully tempting.

Looks like I'll be heading to the grocery store tonight. Must. Not. Go. To. Vending. Machine. Must. Resist. The. Cries. Of. The. Hershey. Bars.

AHHHHHH!

:taz:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

You can do it, fight the urge. I have eaten the same 2 eggs, breakfast sausage, cheese, and salsa mix for the last 8 days and it has been keeping me full through lunch. I am just tired of it now. This morning I don't know if I just wasn't hungry or what but I only ate half of it. I am really missing fruit and looking forward to going to the store and buyimg some up this weekend. 2 days until I have to be Spiderman and I have lost 90% of the last bit of my belly. I think a fast on Friday night until after I suit up on Saturday will take care of the last bit. If not i can always just suck the last inch in.

This post has been edited by Apokio: 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostApokio, on 10 October 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

If not i can always just suck the last inch in.

That's what she said.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#39 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Okay.. I think if I can make it through this initial cold snap I should be okay.. I may start doing more evening walks.. it sounds like that's a working thing for folks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Here's my current dilemma:

I've restocked my yogurt and fresh fruits and veggies and am doing fabulously well at continuing to work out every morning. Great. Wonderful. Fantastic.

My daughters, however, have been complaining that they want to lose weight:

Daughter #1:
12 years old
5'9"
140lbs
BMI 20.7
Plays volleyball and basketball

Daughter #2:
10 years old
5'6"
200lbs
BMI 32.3
Plays basketball

Here's the thing: They don't want to eat less. They both swear they're starving to death if it takes more than 15 minutes to put dinner on the table... and lawd forbid I deny them bedtime snacks - you would think the world is coming to an end and their frail, stunted, malnourished bodies were about to wither away to nothing while they sleep.

I've been wanting to take walks in the evenings after work, but getting everyone to go along with this plan is ridiculous. Daughter #1 doesn't want to ride her bike - ever - unless I mention going for a walk. And Daughter #2 wants to ride her bike in circles around our building for hours on end, but two minutes into walking, she's too tired to go further and we have to turn around and go home.

I don't have a bike for me (I'll be buying one for my birthday in the spring). We live in an apartment building, so a trampoline is not an option. They don't want to get up early in the morning to do yoga and aerobics with me. And taking a walk immediately turns into a dramatic ordeal.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on ways to increase activity/fitness levels for my kids that will be enjoyed by all and not disturb the neighbors?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Zumba classes? Plays titty shaking is an important life skill. Win win situation lol.

Starting school has afforded me no time for health. All I eat is fast food anymore. I gained 15lbs back and according to my blood test yesterday my triglycerides jumped through the roof (though my cholesterol went to almost ideal and blood sugar dropped. Weird.) I got on the treadmill Monday and was ashamed. I tried starting my c25k week1day1 and couldn't even finish the 2nd round of running. :( I just power walked for 40 mins instead. Tonight is a midterm so I'll try for tomorrow at least. I declared today the last time I eat out too. I'm gonna try this again.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

My plan: volleyball when it is warm/ dry enough. Push-ups, because I want to build my arm strength and that doesn't require weights or anything. And perhaps joining back up with Kung Fu.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well, since I'm out of the running now, enjoy this pic

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Know what I love? Celery and peanut butter.

I has become my snack of choice.

I was mysteriously gifted a bag of chocolates today. I tossed them in my drawer and went back to my celery and peanut butter. When I don't have it, I crave it.

It's freaking bizarre... but FAR healthier than the junk food I would have been snacking on a month ago...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »