3 Replies - 1018 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Build automation tools -- What do you use?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

Using a build automation tool is long-overdue for me. When my IDE's compilation doesn't suffice, I usually throw together a script to take care of it for me. I'm missing out.

If you'll indulge me, I'm looking for recommendations. I can google for endless information about make, ant, maven and the rest but what I'd really like to hear is what you use, what you like about it and its shortcomings.

I want something that's hip and trendy, stable and robust, looks after dependencies, runs my tests, deploys the application and makes the coffee.

To be brutally honest, I don't really know what I should be looking for at all so any recommendations and advice are gratefully received.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Build automation tools -- What do you use?

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Build automation tools -- What do you use?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

MSBuild for my .NET projects.
jam for my C/C++ projects.

I used to be a NAnt fan, but I was won over by MSBuild, just because of the better integration with Visual Studio when I'm using VS2012.

I got sold on jam because of its fast automatic dependency checking (and caching of the results of the dependency check), its terser but more expressive syntax. The downside with jam is that unless the people you talk to are familiar with Boost, they will just look at it, says "Oh that's nice. Give me back my familiar makefiles."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I don't mean to hijack be this thread, also tangent to build automation is continuous integration.

I'm currently using Jenkins. I'm not gaga over it, but I do have to say I was really impressed by how easy it was to get it up and running. It's much lighter weight than setting up a TFS Build Server. If others have recommendations, I'm open to it. Is TeamCity or Bamboo worth investing in?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion and don't worry about the hijack. It's related to build tools and was something I was going to look into at some point too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1