6 Replies - 1193 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I pursue a "one year only" support position?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Here is the catch: I already have a stable (guaranteed paycheck) job in retail, but this is of course not the field I want to be in for years to come. There is a support staff position I am interested in but it is a one year only position. Given the scenario I am offered said position, should I work this assignment and hope to find another position in the company at the end of my assignment?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I pursue a "one year only" support position?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I pursue a "one year only" support position?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Support position of what kind? Company's rep? Chance of being retained after a year? Are you prepared to pick up the hustle to find work and leverage this one year effectively?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I guess the question I wanted to ask was: would you take such a seemingly temporary job if it would look good on your resume but you had to leave a guaranteed non-expiring but irrelevant job?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

If you don't want to be in your current job, the fact that it doesn't expire seems like more of a negative than a positive.

The real problem with "one-year" positions is that if you do the job well, it can be difficult to extricate yourself. You don't want to be in support for very long any more than you want to be in retail, but if you're good they'll try to string you out for as long as they can. Chase the job, but set an alarm clock for one year less three months, and when it goes off, start shaking the trees for your next position.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

It's pretty simple really. Ask yourself where you want to be in 5 years and do whatever moves you closer.

If you're asking "will a one year support position move me closer to my goal of being a developer?" The answer is yes. In the last couple of years I've recruited 5 developers and I would take someone in support over someone in retail 100% of the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think a retail job is a dead-end in any case, so you don't have much to lose by trying for something better.

And there is no harm in submitting resumes to ANY other job, while you are working in your present job.
But don't quit a paying job until you actually have an offer in hand and you've made the agreement.

Even if you do get a one-year job, it often turns out to be longer. If the company likes you and the work you do, they often extend your position, or make room for you in another position. Plus, it is one more skill and experience you can add to your resume, making the next job come along even faster and easier.

Whatever happens, while you are in a job, make sure you network, network, network. The contacts you make in any job can often turn out to be invaluable in the future. If your co-workers have any ambition at all, chances are they are making efforts to move themselves ahead in life too. In five or ten years, your former co-workers are often in positions of management somewhere else, and it is very handy having their contact info in your rolodeck, or on LinkedIn, or whatever.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I would take it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1