5 Replies - 449 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2013 - 06:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Game Dev Library/engine

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I have been learning java for a while now, and now I want to move on to game development. I have already made a very basic noughts and crosses game with swing, but don't know where to go from there.

Should I try and make some more advanced swing games like this or should I learn to use a library.

If you think I should use a library, which one is recomended. I have heard of a few
Slick2d: Having trouble finding good tutorials
Libgdx: Looks good, plenty of tutorials but I am only interested in making desktop games

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Game Dev Library/engine

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Re: Java Game Dev Library/engine

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

The game isn't dependent on whether you use Swing or some other library. You may as well go the library route as they are designed for making such games, and will therefore provide a more useful toolkit. Your games will run far better too. If you want to learn Swing, just build GUI's, not games with them. In both cases, make sure your Java skills are up to par.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Unless the Swing graphics library has made extremely impressive leaps in performance since I used it last to write a game - which, granted, was a few years ago - then I would suggest some sort of gaming library. I honestly don't know which libraries would be best for Java, but just make sure it's build on top of OpenGL or Direct3D. You don't want to be building games on things like Windows' GD+. The performance is awful, even for the best of graphics cards.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Both libraries I mentioned are build on an openGL implementation (LWJGL I think)

Slick doesn't have the support, community or features of Libgdx, but I don't know if Libgdx is a good choice for making just desktop games, as it provides support for html5 and android as well
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

There's no reason that the extra platform support should affect how you write desktop games. You are still going to write exactly the same code. If you decide later you want to go to these platforms, well the work is done. If you really don't need the other platforms, you say Libgdx has more features, and support. Of course, one may be harder than the other to learn, or require you to do more.

I wouldn't get caught up with which library to use, they are essentially doing the same thing. By learning one, you'll learn how to use the other pretty quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks

Now to try and get it to work, which is always the fun part :clap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -