3 Replies - 955 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

How do you create a program that will run when the computer starts?

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Ok before someone just says add something to the startup folder or use the registry that's NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

I am trying to do what a program known as hitmanpro does. I'm assuming it uses some sort of BOOTLOADER but I'm not sure. It's used to remove malware. Essentially you have it wrote to a USB and when you start you computer up you have it boot from the USB. Somehow they make it boot into Windows and load the hitman window EVEN IF THERE IS MALWARE RUNNING TRYING TO STOP IT.

I was thinking of trying to write something to remove a common variant of malware but it would have to run before the OS processes load into memory (like hitman does).

Does anyone have any ideas of how this would be done? How does hitman manage to LOAD WINDOWS UP and then load its GUI program before everyone else?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you create a program that will run when the computer starts?

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you create a program that will run when the computer starts?

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Have you researched the Windows boot process? Here's a link to the Windows 7 boot process: http://social.techne...ocess-sbsl.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 29 September 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Have you researched the Windows boot process? Here's a link to the Windows 7 boot process: http://social.techne...ocess-sbsl.aspx

Very interesting I read it. How would that help though? I mean what API where do I start? Do I need to write a boot start driver or something? Do you have any idea how hitman is doing this friend?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm not familiar enough with hitman to even guess.

Back in the DOS days, when a friend and I were writing a basic virus checker for our school as our intern project, what we did was completely replace the boot sector on the floppy disk/hard drive and move the old boot sector elsewhere. We would then bootstrap ourselves and setup interrupts, and then yield control to the original boot sector. Obviously that doesn't quite work as well anymore with Windows, but your thought of getting installed as a boot start driver maybe worth exploring.

Grabbing the latest copy of Russinovich, et al's Windows Internals books may help you decide.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1