3 Replies - 1392 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

• D.I.C Head

senior in high school starting to doubt abilities

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

with college applications going out and college on the brain in general I'm starting to doubt my programming abilities as a whole and dont know whether or not it is a good path. I have always loved programming but i i have never had a logic based thought process. ( ive always had low grades in math.) with that said i always feel like my peers have a edge when it comes to programming because they can think about problems in a much for logical format than i can. My question is have any of you had this same problem and are there any ways to fix it. (please dont say program more because i assure you i do plenty of it already.)
any helps is greatly appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: senior in high school starting to doubt abilities

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: senior in high school starting to doubt abilities

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

First thing, proper english is a must. Fix capitalization and be more wary of that, it doesn't look good.

That being said, I'm horrid at math. Never got good grades in it, didn't particularly understand it, and always wanted it to just be over. I was an artist, a musician, a writer. I wanted to make beautiful things, not learn some formula. It was ridiculous and I hated it. Of course I was still decent at programming, and got along just fine with it. That was in High School.

Fast forward to now and I understand a ton more math, it just comes naturally. I've even considered getting a degree in it just because I find it so interesting. What made the difference? I programmed, a lot. I kept going at it and working at it, and eventually math just came to me. It was like a natural progression, I learned math by learning more about programming.

You don't have to be a mathematician to be a programmer, the same that you don't need to be a programmer to be a mathematician. They just happen to compliment eachother and naturally lend themselves to eachother.

High School is not the point to say you're horrid at anything. I thought I was a boss programmer and I had no idea what a class was, what object orientation was, or any of that. It takes time, and at this point you have plenty. Relax.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Also, it doesn't really matter, what your programming skills are going in, because I'm pretty sure they teach the classes like you have no experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Two of the biggest things you will learn in college are the following:

1. You won't believe how many people are smarter than you
2. You won't believe how many people are dumber than you

Don't sweat it if you're nervous going in. Most everyone will be shocked by the college environment. Besides, you go to college to learn. Although there will be a lot of classes where you are graded directly based off of your peer's performance, that's certainly not all that matters. You will come out on the other end a better programmer, and that is what matters. Just keep having fun with it, and you'll be fine!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1