11 Replies - 1480 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Moral Conundrum

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hey All,

I'm in need of advice regarding a recent work situation. I'm still in school right now, set to graduate in fall of 2014. I've been working at a test and measurement company for almost a year now as a developer intern. Overall its been a good experience, but lately, I've become a bit frustrated with a few things, and want to look into other options for a summer internship. There are a couple of full time developers whose work I've had to complete, which would be fine if I was being paid full-time engineer money, but I'm not. Worst of all, I'm just not excited about the things I'm working on, which is crucial for me to perform well. I have two interviews lined up this week, one is a phone screening, and the other is a final interview, which I have to fly out to. My question is, should I tell my current employer about the later interview? I feel like if I don't get an offer from either company I am interviewing with, telling my company only makes me look worse. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moral Conundrum

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moral Conundrum

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

No need to tell them you are interviewing outside the company until you know you will be leaving (have an offer, or just can't stand it anymore). At least that's my perspective; it also seems to be quite prevalent in the industry, so I don't see them blacklisting you or anything like that over taking a different job. People move around, they may eventually come back, sadly for CS professions it seems to be one of the major ways for career development since a lot of companies do have their employees eventually hit a wall where they aren't getting promoted/ increased pay that they think they deserve (sometimes they are correct, sometimes not).

At least that is how I see it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

Quite frankly it's none of their business unless you're burning company time and resources to do it. Just do the smart thing and leave on good terms no matter how bad it was, because it takes a special type of imbecile to walk out of a company giving the double bird salute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

I don't see this as a Moral Conundrum. It's a dog eat dog world to be honest. In the end of the day, they aren't gonna feel bad about not paying you for doing full time work, so you shouldn't feel bad about looking around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

You don't need to tell them until you have the offer elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Agreed... make sure you have something to tell before you speak too soon... lest it gets all awkward and what not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Everyone is saying the same thing and I agree. Let me just add... Be sure to give them the chance to make you a counter offer to keep you. Be polite and professional. You never know how the wheel turns. 5 years from now you may be interviewing with your former boss at some other company when both of you have jumped ship. You want everyone to remember that you *wanted* to stay but they just couldn't make it worth your while, and that you are someone they wished had stayed because you were pleasant to work with.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Be sure to give them the chance to make you a counter offer to keep you. Be polite and professional.

Surprisingly diplomatic, coming from a Klingon. :)

This is very good advice. You don't need to tell your boss what the other guy is offering - just tell them you've got an offer and you're inclined to take it, but you're willing to discuss staying if he wants to make an offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Counter offers rarely work out (at least in my experience). Your boss now knows you want to leave and only money is motivating you to stay. Most career councilors also say don't take counter offers. Read this :)/>

This post has been edited by Momerath: 03 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Counter offers aren't always about the money. You could get an offer to work on a different project, or any number of things. And depending on how that goes, it doesn't necessarily show your boss that you only care for the money, but instead could say "I like it here, but don't feel like I am progressing and need a change of pace".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, In my experience as well, counter offers don't work to well. The company take it as a threat, and tries to save themselves, then rid themselves of you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the words of advice everyone. I will wait until I get word on my interviews from yesterday, though I think they went pretty well. If and when I do recieve a different offer, I'll be sure to leave the door open for returning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1