3 Replies - 552 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

#1 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

John McAfee wants to sell you a $100 gadget that blocks the NSA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

According to this article, John McAfee is currently working on a project D Central which will hide traffic from the NSA. He also claims that it uses a new algorithm that the NSA will be unable to crack. There is also a comment :

A clock is ticking on his D-Central website, and we should learn more about the technology in 174 days.
, but I don't see any link to such a website. When I did a Google search for D-Central, all I found were links to other news articles.

It's documented fact that he's written & released more than just an anti-virus, such as his chat software Pow Wow, but I don't see any reference to this new gadget other than these news articles.

Anyone else heard of this? More hoop-lah? If it isn't banned, as suggested by the article, anyone going to pick it up?

It really sounds like a wifi sub-net. I would be interested to read more.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: John McAfee wants to sell you a $100 gadget that blocks the NSA

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: John McAfee wants to sell you a $100 gadget that blocks the NSA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

McAfee claims he has developed unique encryption that "the NSA won't get into it,"

I'm sticking with the usual rule: if they don't tell you how it's encrypted, the encryption is no good.

Since McAfee has not made any announcements of cryptography breakthroughs, either there isn't one or else he's not letting the crypto community vet it. That alone means you should stay away from this gadget: you should never, ever trust cryptography that you can't examine.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 30 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

I can encrypt a string of any size >1bit such that you cannot ever reliably get the original back. Best. Encryption. Ever.

For those who are interested here is the code (C++):
char* encrypt(const char* src){
  return new char(0);
}

Now, seriously, I think that it is a cool idea, but the problem is that you are still connecting to the internet somewhere, and that somewhere is still going to get into trouble if you download bad things. You are just opening yourself up to problems that the masses can cause.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

The encryption will be broken in a matter of days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1