Looks like the party of fools has shut down the U.S. government.

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

224 Replies - 6023 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Looks like the party of fools has shut down the U.S. government.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

I can't believe it. The Senate sends them Obama's budget requesting $1.2 trillion in spending for 2013. The House sent it back claiming they only wanted $960 Billion in spending. The Senate then tries to compromise by sending back a bill requesting $980 billion in spending, basically giving them everything they asked for, and what do they do? They say no and allow a government shutdown...

The sad part of all of this is that they are just trying to appease the crazy teabaggers who actually believe that if they shut down the government that it will somehow stop Obamacare, but it won't as Obamacare is mandatory spending, just like Social Security and Medicare.

If you are a Republican, for God knows whatever reason, please be smart and contact your elected officials, asking them to fix this government shutdown nonsense. None of this affects Obamacare. his only hurts average Americans.

How do you feel about the shutdown?

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 30 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Looks like the party of fools has shut down the U.S. government.

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looks like the party of fools has shut down the U.S. government.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

Oh, the idiots. I can't believe they would choose prtisan politics over actually looking after their people.

What a bunch of assholes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

Why? How will this affect your lives (anyone)? How is this more than an opportunity to lay blame and cast aspersions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

Me personally? It won't, since I'm in a different country and all.

I imagine it will affect quite a few Americans though. I love this quote from Mark Mardell, the BBC's American correspondant:

Some Republicans have decided the House, and the House alone, embodies 'the will of the people' - and the people hate 'Obamacare'. They know it is so, not because of the rather indecisive opinion polls, but because the people in their district and on talk radio tell them so”

If you really don't know how this will affect America, take a look at the news article about it, here.

And I'm not sure if laying blame and casting aspersions is accurate is the people we are casting them at are the ones responsible.

I also like this line:

...the divide in US politics has grown so bitter that government itself cannot function.

These are some of the most powerful people in the modern world, and they are just arguing like school children. Politics isn't about the party you belong to, it's about the country you represent. A huge number of politicians seem to forget that. Obama hasn't, or so it looks to me, but is being shafted at every opportunity by the Republicans. Even to the detriment of the American people.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostGregBrannon, on 01 October 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Why? How will this affect your lives (anyone)? How is this more than an opportunity to lay blame and cast aspersions?

Seriously? You do realize that hundreds of thousands of federal employees receive no pay, right? The Small Business Administration gives no loans. It is estimated to cost the economy about $1 billion per week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

I asked how it affected those here who might reply to this topic. I'm one of those federal workers who may not be paid. I've already been furloughed - without pay - I don't remember the outrage here then, so I figured something must changed. What has changed to deserve this attention here and now? How are the people here from middle America, middle Europe, middle Africa affected?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

So, Greg, the longest previous shut down went on for, iirc, 3 weeks. Are you really telling us that you wouldn't have a problem if three quarters of your monthly pay check disappeared? If that happened to me, I'd be screwed. My rent and bills alone cover 3/4 of my pay check.

As for how the rest of the world is affected, it's not going to affect us too much, if at all, apart from those of us with business concerns in the US. Like it or not, the US is a major player on the world stage. If your government is shutting down, for an indefinite amount of time, how is that going to knock on to your local businesses? In turn, how will they knock on to global industry?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

View PostGregBrannon, on 01 October 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

I asked how it affected those here who might reply to this topic. I'm one of those federal workers who may not be paid. I've already been furloughed - without pay - I don't remember the outrage here then, so I figured something must changed. What has changed to deserve this attention here and now? How are the people here from middle America, middle Europe, middle Africa affected?

Something has changed, the morons actually shut down the government, instead of just threatening to do it.

The U.S. is not an island unto itself. It puts the U.S. economy at risk, thus the world economy is also at risk. It affects us all.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 01 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

So, Greg, the longest previous shut down went on for, iirc, 3 weeks. Are you really telling us that you wouldn't have a problem if three quarters of your monthly pay check disappeared?

I appreciate your concern. I've learned enough from the last 5+ years to be prepared for this possibility. I will survive, but I'm disappointed in my government's dysfunction. Even so, I don't fault those from either side who stand up for their beliefs. The fault is with their leadership.

Something has changed, the morons actually shut down the government, instead of just threatening to do it.

The U.S. is not an island unto itself. It puts the U.S. economy at rick, thus the world economy is also at risk. It affects us all.

So no real effect then, at least not yet, not that you can quantify. Were there global, even local effects from the 3-week shutdown in the mid-90s?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostGregBrannon, on 01 October 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

I appreciate your concern. I've learned enough from the last 5+ years to be prepared for this possibility. I will survive, but I'm disappointed in my government's dysfunction. Even so, I don't fault those from either side who stand up for their beliefs. The fault is with their leadership.

There's a difference between standing up for what you believe in, and crippling a country's government because you didn't get your own way. The Republican leadership have basically, spat their dummies (pacifiers, in case you didn't know what I meant) out of the pram, and screwed over the country because they couldn't admit defeat.

It's bad that you saw soemthing like this coming 5 years ago and prepared for it. A sensible move, it turns out, but one you really wouldn't have thought necessary.

View PostGregBrannon, on 01 October 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

So no real effect then, at least not yet, not that you can quantify. Were there global, even local effects from the 3-week shutdown in the mid-90s?

Probably, but I'll be damned if I know what they are. It wasn't really until the 21st century started that I started paying attention to politics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostGregBrannon, on 01 October 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Well, what do you think? How much business, foreign and domestic, do you think the U.S. does in 3 weeks? How much money per minute is spent in Afghanistan alone? The government goes as far as to stop buying toilet paper from its suppliers, suppliers who likely rely on those government contracts...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

Government shuts down, can't afford loo roll. Toilet paper companies also shut down... What a shitter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

Well, what do you think? How much business, foreign and domestic, do you think the U.S. does in 3 weeks? How much money per minute is spent in Afghanistan alone?

There's no indication that any of that will change, even the TP supplies will survive. Apart from sustaining a U.S. military presence, the U.S. Gov't isn't required for any of that to happen, and U.S. military obligations and presence will continue today and tomorrow just as they did yesterday. Governments don't make business happen. They do more to get in the way than they do to facilitate it.

I've enjoyed the discussion, but it's time to shutdown.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

There's a few pages on the BBC news site that estimates the numbers of people heading home because of this, and it reckons the Washington DC economy alone will be losing $220 million per day.

The last time the US government shut down in 1995, it cost the federal government $1.5bn (£927m) - that's $2.1bn (£1.3bn) in today's dollars.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

POPULAR

I think our government needs a reboot....this 2 majority party system is ruining the US because of all their constant big chest, im better than you attitude. The govenerment is no longer for the people but more about how much money they can make.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »