Looks like the party of fools has shut down the U.S. government.

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

224 Replies - 6920 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looks like the party of fools has shut down the U.S. government.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

The good news is Congress is still getting paid and that is what is important right? Also instead of pointing fingers at one party for sticking to their guns, how about pointing fingers at both parties for not coming to an agreement. It is the fault of the Liberals and Republicans.

The Libs decided not to come to work on Sunday to try and work out a compromise for the record, they had more important things to do like work on their Golf scores. It is not the republicans job to cave in if they didn't like something and neither side was willing to compromise.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 01 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Wasn't Obamacare shuttled back and forth between the Senate and Congress a few times over the past couple of years? There was a fair bit of compromise in there, as I understand it. Mostly to appease the Republicans.

The time to compromise on something is when it is still being planned, not tabling a new 'compromise' a week or so before a critical budget vote, and tying the compromise in with that vote.

The Republicans thought they could use this to get Obamacare put back a year. Obama said 'no' because the care bill (or whatever it is technically called) has already been diluted beyond what he wanted because he has already compromised on it. This was nothing but partisan politics from the Republicans, putting their own party ahead of the American people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

POPULAR

The republicans were "voted" into office to protect the interests of the people who voted them in office. It is NOT their responsibility to cave.
Also why is congress, our democratically controlled senate and republican controlled house still getting paid? Also why were libs not at work on Sunday to try and resolve this?

All I can say is F- the government and you can go back in my history on DIC - I will once again repeat we need a complete overhaul! Start by voting these idiots out 1 by 1 and not because they have a R or D on their sleeve

Edit: blah blah blah - its your fault, no its your fault - I saw it first, no I did. Reality is: Yeah both sides are retarded!

Your to blame, no your to blame... It's the american peoples fault!

This post has been edited by Nykc: 01 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostNykc, on 01 October 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

The republicans were "voted" into office to protect the interests of the people who voted them in office. It is NOT their responsibility to cave.
Also why is congress, our democratically controlled senate and republican controlled house still getting paid? Also why were libs not at work on Sunday to try and resolve this?

All I can say is F- the government and you can go back in my history on DIC - I will once again repeat we need a complete overhaul! Start by voting these idiots out 1 by 1 and not because they have a R or D on their sleeve

We're not talking about caving. We're talking about compromise. Tell me Nykc, do you think it is perfectly alright to put the entire country in even more financial jeapardy than it is already in, just to score some political points? The Republicans had already lost the Obamacare argument - if they hadn't it wouldn't have been in the budget. What they were doing with their latest ploy wasn't about getting what their constituents wanted, it was about being arsey and looking for some setback they could blame on Obama and the Democrats.

Now as for your government overhaul idea, that is something I can agree with.

While I do think Obama has at least tried to do something for the American people, there are too many on both sides who only see it as us vs them now, and have apparently forgotten their stupid bickering has an effect on millions of people.

I pretty much hold the same opinion on politics here in the UK.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Bort I can honestly say I agree with 90% of that post, and the hard reality is without a complete government meltdown we can not get the overhaul we so desperately need. It is the sad reality, but we let our country get to this point. Our government failed us, both Democrats and Republicans - and too many people are blind to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#21 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostGregBrannon, on 01 October 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

Why? How will this affect your lives (anyone)? How is this more than an opportunity to lay blame and cast aspersions?

Nothing terribly detrimental, but a good friend of mine will be unable to get his passport in time to make a trip he's already booked & paid for.

At the end of the day, he'll live, & in my opinion he shouldn't have paid for the trip until the passport was in his hands. It's a very minimal loss, & the only affect that I am aware of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Agreed. With regards to both the UK and US governments.

Sure, you may occasionally get a politician who attampts to do good for the people, but they are few and far between. Over here, there is one person who can dissolve the government, and I've quite seriously been considering writing to her:

Dear Queen Elizabeth II,

Your governemt are all corrupt bastards who are only out to milk your citizens of every penny they have. Please do something about it and give us a government who actually cares about the people instead of just pandering to big businesses.

Regards,
Bort

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I won't be able to masturbate anymore... my fetish is masturbating to live voyeur cameras I have set up around town filming federal employees cashing their paychecks.

Oh yeah... drool... endorse that check.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

We're talking about compromise. Tell me Nykc, do you think it is perfectly alright to put the entire country in even more financial jeapardy than it is already in, just to score some political points?

Why are you laying this all on the Republicans? Compromise is a two way street and the Democratic and Republican leaders, in both congress and the Executive branch don't seem to know the meaning of this word.

We're not talking about caving.

At this point, sure you are.

if they hadn't it wouldn't have been in the budget.

That's the biggest problem, there is no budget, there hasn't been one for over 5 years.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postjimblumberg, on 01 October 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

We're talking about compromise. Tell me Nykc, do you think it is perfectly alright to put the entire country in even more financial jeapardy than it is already in, just to score some political points?

Why are you laying this all on the Republicans? Compromise is a two way street and the Democratic and Republican leaders, in both congress and the Executive branch don't seem to know the meaning of this word.

I'm blaming this on the Republicans because this has been going on for years now. It finally comes to a conclusion that is half of what Obama originally had planned because of compromises the Democrats have made with the Republicans over it. Then, in the last possible minute, the Republicans suddenly come forward with this new bill, law, amendment, whatever, that basically says 'put ACA back another year, or we'll screw up the budget'.

We're not talking about caving.

At this point, sure you are.

There is nothing left to cave over. The final agreements on Obamacare were all reached a while ago. This new joke is just the Republicans being an arse.

if they hadn't it wouldn't have been in the budget.

That's the biggest problem, there is no budget, there hasn't been one for over 5 years.

But there would be, if the Republicans hadn't tried to use it as yet another bitchfest over Obamacare.

This post has been edited by Bort: 01 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostNykc, on 01 October 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

The good news is Congress is still getting paid and that is what is important right?

This times 100000000000000x10^1000000000000000000000

The Congress doesn't give a fuck anymore, and I doubt they ever did. The interests of the people aren't in their minds, it's them that's in their minds. That's why they go through the trouble of making alliances, friends, campaign donors, etc. It's to ensure votes, so they can make a career out of something that shouldn't be made a career out of. Once they're in long enough, they start getting more and more corrupt, that's why it should have a fresh overturn. None of this serving for life shit. Even when they're not in office they've got their hands in everyone else's shit. Why aren't there more polls from the people? We only get polled like, what, every 4 years except on state and local issues? Why? Big decisions like this should hear more direct feedback from the people. I know that's why we vote these fuckers in, but they shouldn't be alone in making EVERY decision, we should have some say too. They assume too much based on their party, friends, sponsors, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

The CDC is a nonessential government run operation? How dumb do you have to be to CLOSE THE CENTER RESPONSIBLE FOR DISEASE CONTROL?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

It finally comes to a conclusion that is half of what Obama originally had planned because of compromises the Democrats have made with the Republicans over it.

What compromise did the Democrats make with the Republicans over Obamacare? They forced this through the house and senate when they had the majority without any input from the Republicans. The only compromises they made were to insure that they had enough of their members to pass the bill.

But there would be, if the Republicans hadn't tried to use it as yet another bitchfest over Obamacare.

There hasn't been a budget since before Obamacare was passed. The lack of a budget has nothing to do with Obamacare. It has to do with the fact that neither side knows how to compromise. Hell the Democrats never even passed a budget when they had control of both houses of Congress and the Executive branch as well.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostDarenR, on 01 October 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

I think our government needs a reboot....this 2 majority party system is ruining the US because of all their constant big chest, im better than you attitude. The govenerment is no longer for the people but more about how much money they can make.

The thing is, the two party system isnt really part of our government. Both parties are very profitable and shut down the ability of other parties from entering by manipulating laws and media outlets.

What we really need is a new government entirely. What the founders thought of doesnt actually work with the exception of certain things like freedom of speech etc.

The sooner we have a government based on fairness and equality instead of property ownership and profits, the better off the entire world will be.

The fact that theres been so many recessions in my short 28 years on this planet shows me that not only does lasseiz faire capitalism not work, but our managed capitalism doesnt work either. The system has cracked and its time to get rid of it.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 01 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

POPULAR

so, the democrats passed what is essentially republican legislation (that they now dislike because democrats passed it, to put it nicely), it went thru congress, was upheld in the supreme court, was upheld by the american people in a general election. then when it's about to go into law the republicans hold the rest of the federal government hostage because it's somehow still not clear that they lost. they have lost the game but they want to replay the third quarter and get spoted 14 points because that's the only way it's fair and their feelings won't be hurt. i thought liberals were supposed to the entitled ones.

but it's everyone's fault. got it.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »