Game Mod'ing primer

How to get started mod'ing games with C++

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 3571 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2007 - 07:19 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game Mod'ing primer

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

MOD NOTE: Taken from Request a C++ Tutorial, Ideas that will get you kudos.

ok i know i should prolly read this b4 i start requesting stuff but im a total noob to programing and by that i mean TOTAL i havent even started on my first code yet iv been looking for the slightest amount of help for about 3 months now i want to learn to code for fun just to give me something to do in my free time but mostly to make mods for online games and c++ is the language i need in order to do so.So Please Help me i have a yahoo ID on my profile or you can just mail my acc on here any suggestions will be helpful.Thank You

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Mod'ing primer

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Mod'ing primer

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

View PostThenamesjoe, on 10 Sep, 2007 - 01:40 PM, said:

ok i know i should prolly read this b4 i start requesting stuff but im a total noob to programing and by that i mean TOTAL i havent even started on my first code yet iv been looking for the slightest amount of help for about 3 months now i want to learn to code for fun just to give me something to do in my free time but mostly to make mods for online games and c++ is the language i need in order to do so.So Please Help me i have a yahoo ID on my profile or you can just mail my acc on here any suggestions will be helpful.Thank You

Well, there are many people here who can help. If you ask questions in the forum then others can also benefit from the answers.

Basically if you want to get into programming then I suggest you find a book and follow some examples. Although mod'ing games is exciting, it will take some work on your part. There are actually some nice books out at the moment that cover game programming and cover many of the major technologies and engines used (this is information that you will need to know how to mod the games) there are also many tutorials throughout the net on various mods to games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:57 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 10 Sep, 2007 - 09:31 PM, said:

View PostThenamesjoe, on 10 Sep, 2007 - 01:40 PM, said:

Well, there are many people here who can help. If you ask questions in the forum then others can also benefit from the answers.

Basically if you want to get into programming then I suggest you find a book and follow some examples. Although mod'ing games is exciting, it will take some work on your part. There are actually some nice books out at the moment that cover game programming and cover many of the major technologies and engines used (this is information that you will need to know how to mod the games) there are also many tutorials throughout the net on various mods to games.

ok so you mentioned books on the subject is there any that you might recomend?if so then please by all means let me know what they are as i said b4 im a total noob at this stuff
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

I broke your discussion out of the other topic. This way you can get advice from others who might have a better understanding of the topic than I do.

I can't really recommend any books on the subject of games as I don't spend much time with that stuff. I have thumbed though a few that looked pretty good in the store, but have never taken one home.

But you will need a book on general programming and there are currently 2 threads on this in the forum at the moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

I don't know your skill level in C++ therefore i can just assume you will understand this.

If you want to mod a game you must first somehow get the game itself to run your code. The best way is to decompile a dll file and recode it based on the ASM. When you have a working rebuild and source of the dll you can now start writing your mods.
I would use the source to load another dll, which will be yours. In your dll you can start messing with the memory of the program to make it do something good. For example, you may want to get all the chat text it recives. You must first do some more decompiling to find a function that displays or proccesses the text it recives. you can then overite that part of the memory to redirect the function to your own function. All you need to write at that part (inside the target function itself)
JMP <address of your function>

An other example is, you may want to add an MP3 player into the game. So what you need is to hook mouse actions such as move, click etc. Then you can use DirectX or GDI to display the player GUI itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

Ok My Pragram Lingo Is Blah So Any Lamans Terms Would Be Greatly Appreciated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1