0 Replies - 3042 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mail Servers and Abuse

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi Guys,

Never really been involved with mail servers or any other servers for that matter so i'm looking for some clarification.

Today I received an email from the people that develop and host our companies website, they are claiming that they have received a complaint about emails sent from the server that hosts our website and as a result have cleared the mail queue and changed the passwords.

The confusion is that our domains mx records don't point to the server that hosts the website they point to another mail server that we use to send and receive emails. We don't even have the passwords etc for the supposedly abused mail server.

To my knowledge the mail server we actually use to send and receive emails hasn't been abused, at least I haven't had any emails from the people that manage the mail server we use.

About a month ago I noticed that the website wasn't sending emails out to addresses on it's own domain, all other emails were fine for instance those sent to gmail or yahoo email address.

So I have 2 questions, firstly would the fact that there is a local mail server setup be the reason the website wont send emails to addresses with the same domain, as in the local server is catching them but we are obviously not retrieving them. Secondly does this abused mail server have anything to do with us, we don't connect to that server to send or receive emails... This might seem obvious but i'm just wondering if there is some connection that I don't understand when it comes to mail servers.

Any responses appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1