• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

55 Replies - 2454 Views - Last Post: 13 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Reduce Belly Fats Tips

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Good day Programmers and Developers, what are the tips to reduce belly fats? If diet? What kind of diet? If in the gym, what gym equipment or type of workout should you focus on. I'm sick of my little fats but I still have the abs. :withstupid:
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Reduce Belly Fats Tips

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Reduce Belly Fats Tips

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Calculate calorie expenditure to maintain current weight. Fad diets don't work. Cardio every day. Count your calories (be diligent) and workout times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

What works for me is running 2 times per week(1 hour each time) ,cycling for 30 minutes everyday and do exercises on horizontal bar everyday for 20 minutes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

POPULAR

Forget counting calories, forget going to the gym once in a while. This isn't a game, it's your life. Don't waste your time keeping score, just arrange your life so you start winning. The way you do that in the long term is to make sure being healthy isn't a special occasion thing. Basically, who you are is what you do every day, not what you do once in a while, when you get around to it, for as long as you're remembering to get around to it.

So instead of making eating into a chore, just eat sensibly. That's not hard: eat lots of vegetables that you prepare yourself. Packaged food tastes lousy and is terrible for you, and meat is a very efficient way to get lots of calories and fats into your system all at a go - which is actually not what you want. You can spend your time counting calories, or you can spend it finding good ways to cook good food that you already know is sensible to eat. The latter will be better for you, and you'll enjoy it more.

Instead of making exercise into a special occasion, find some fifteen minute workout that you can do every morning before you take a shower*. Do that every morning, before you take a shower. If it's something that you have to go out of your way to do, it will not happen nearly as much as you plan on. Fifteen minutes in the morning, you can always do. (and, be honest, if you didn't do the fifteen minutes in the morning, what are the odds you would have gone to the gym in the afternoon?) If you can arrange to commute by bike, do that. If you walk or ride to do your shopping, do that. Make self-propulsion your default mode, and driving the thing you do as a last resort, instead of constantly meaning to do the thing you tell yourself you ought to do, but just for today, doing it the lazy way.

Basically, the reasoning here is, you're in this for the long term. You're in this body for the rest of your life. You don't want to have to spend the rest of your life deciding every day to do the right thing, that's boring and stupid and guaranteed to fail, sooner or later.

*or pick some other time, as long as it happens every day at the same time. In the morning is easiest for me

tl;dr: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. Choose to exert yourself every day. Enjoy doing things for yourself rather than having them done for you.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 06 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View Postkim_barcelona555, on 06 October 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

what are the tips to reduce belly fats? If diet? What kind of diet?

Vegan. My wife got me on a Vegan diet & I dropped 50 pounds, including my gut. I enjoy a burger, Chipotle, or pizza on Wednesdays, as a little 'hold me over'. Otherwise, I'm almost to my goal weight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

belly fat is all diet. not as in "3 week diet", but what you consume. if you want abs the best way is to eat clean. less sugars, less processed foods. more vegetables, more water, more whole grains.

then workout. your whole body. the abs will come along with everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I got a gym membership at the beginning of the summer and went from 198 down to 178. I didn't do really anything special, just tried to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I started running approximately a mile each time I went, and then just proceeded to do whatever else at the gym. I kicked pop almost completely out of my diet and replaced it with water and I also stopped eating as much junk food (chips, cookies etc) I didn't put myself on a diet or anything like that, I just had an urge to eat healthier once I started working out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thought this was spam by the title. I stand corrected.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

So did I.

Of course, spam is a bad idea for anyone's diet... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 07 October 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

So did I.

Of course, spam is a bad idea for anyone's diet... :P/>

LOL
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostChrisNt, on 06 October 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

What works for me is running 2 times per week(1 hour each time) ,cycling for 30 minutes everyday and do exercises on horizontal bar everyday for 20 minutes.

Be careful with the running. In my opinion, you should not run if your body fat is more than about 8%. In other words, if you're not at your ideal weight you shouldn't be running. I would suggest losing the weight and then you can run to keep it off if you like. But I would strongly suggest never running to lose weight.

The reason is that your chances of injury are exponentially higher. Running already puts a tremendous amount of stress on your bones, ligament, and especially your joints. When you slam your legs into the ground you are multiplying the force times the weight of your body. The heavier you are the more the force exerted on your joints rises exponentially.

I started running to lose weight many years ago until it lead to injury. Then I was forced to quit. Later I lost weight through diet alone.

You can also burn just as many calories by walking a mile as you can by running a mile. The difference is the amount of time you have to spend at it.

That's my 2cents anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostBBeck, on 07 October 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Be careful with the running. In my opinion, you should not run if your body fat is more than about 8%. In other words, if you're not at your ideal weight you shouldn't be running. I would suggest losing the weight and then you can run to keep it off if you like. But I would strongly suggest never running to lose weight.

The reason is that your chances of injury are exponentially higher. Running already puts a tremendous amount of stress on your bones, ligament, and especially your joints. When you slam your legs into the ground you are multiplying the force times the weight of your body. The heavier you are the more the force exerted on your joints rises exponentially.

I started running to lose weight many years ago until it lead to injury. Then I was forced to quit. Later I lost weight through diet alone.

You can also burn just as many calories by walking a mile as you can by running a mile. The difference is the amount of time you have to spend at it.

That's my 2cents anyway.

I agree. I started out running way too much, and I ended up with major shin splits. They stayed with me for weeks and I ended up not being able to run as a result.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Since I'm really big on counting calories, I was almost ready to write off jon.kiparsky's advice until I read it. While I'm about to say you should count calories, I mostly agree with Jon. It has to be a life style or it won't work. And if you get in the life style it may not be necessary to even count calories.

Anyway, that being said: count calories. You can predict exactly how much weight you will lose over a given period of time based on the number of calories you are consuming against the number of calories you are burning. The margin of error is something like 4 ounces per week. How to get to any weight you desire is so well scientifically understood that you can choose to be pretty much any weight you want.

I don't know how that fact seems to get lost to the general public, but its true. I guess so few people actually try to do it scientifically. Plus, there are like a million fad diets out there that people make money off of and want to promote whether they work or not.

But the fact of the matter is that 3,500 calories equals one pound of body weight. It's a scientific fact that is no more disputable than gravity. If you consume 3,500 calories more than you burn, you will gain exactly one pound (give or take a few ounces largely due to the fact that it's hard to know exactly how many calories you are burning each day).

I actually learned this from the Governator. I was getting into body building and Arnold mentions it in his encyclopedia of body building. I reasoned that if you could gain a pound this way, then you could lose a pound by reversing it. I experiemented with that theory and found it to be absolutely true.

I also, at roughly the same time, was reading about how the Mayo Clinic suggests losing weight. They say count calories. They suggest that men should never go below 1,400 calories a day and women never go below 1,200 calories per day, from what I remember. They didn't throw out Arnold's 3,500 calories per pound number. But combining their advice with that number was what showed me that you can reliable predict exactly how many pounds you will lose each week. (This is actually more easily said than done because most people don't know how to weigh themselves accurately and so the numbers in a single week will appear to not be working, but if you observe the averages over several months you can see the math here works out perfectly as predicted.)

Now the trick, in my opinion, is to divide your calories into a specific amount per meal. So, let's say you are allowed 1,500 calories per day. If you divide that into 3 meals, then you know you are allowed 500 calories per meal. It's MUCH easier to add up the calories you are consuming for one meal than to try and track totals for a day or a week or something. If you just look up everything in that meal, you can determine whether its too much or not enough (and make sure you don't go much below your target either).

You can also "fudge" it a bit. For example - on a 1,500 calorie per day diet, you could say "I'm only consuming 300 calories for breakfast. So, I could do 500 calories for lunch and then 700 calories for dinner. As long as you're keeping your daily calorie count on target each day, you can divide it how you like.

In fact, I called this the beer and cheesecake diet when I used it to lose 40 pounds. That's because one Saturday a month I would let myself go have a beer and cheesecake. It was basically calculated into my calorie plan and so I still continued to lose weight. But that goes back to "life style". There's a huge difference between having a couple beers and a few slices of cheesecake once a month and doing it every day. That's an enormous number of calories. As long as you calculate it in you'll be fine, but no one can do that every day and calculate it in and stay on target.

Anyway, the key to doing it precisely is finding out how many calories you are burning every day. This can be a little tricky but its far from impossible to figure it out within 100 calories plus or minus each day.

Calories Consumed - Calories Burned = Calories Gained or Lost

Don't forget that most Americans drink a lot of their calories.

So, if you burn 2,200 calories per day and you consume 1,500 calories per day, then you are losing 700 calories per day. In 5 days (assuming everything stays the same), you will have lost a total of 3,500 calories. And that equals one pound. So, you will have lost a pound of body weight.

You have to watch the averages over several weeks to see that it's happening because there are a lot of variables at play. But I assure you it works.

Weigh yourself at the same time of day every day, wearing roughly the same clothes (I can put on 5 pounds of clothing without too much effort. My boots alone probably weight 2 pounds.) It's not hard to drink a pound of water. A meal on the table weighs just as much in your stomach. So, weigh yourself before you put it in your stomach and it shows up on the numbers of your scale. Plus, you may gain or lose water weight and such. Still, if you weigh yourself under consistant conditions and record the numbers, you will see the math playing out perfectly as predicted over the long term.

Once you reach your target weight, you must consume more calories to maintain that weight. So, once you get there, you can up the calories a bit. But you have to stay at that level forever to maintain the weight. What you will discover by doing this is that after several months you can just eyeball a plate of food and know pretty much how many calories is in it.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 07 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostBBeck, on 07 October 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Be careful with the running. In my opinion, you should not run if your body fat is more than about 8%. In other words, if you're not at your ideal weight you shouldn't be running.

8% body fat really? I guess we all have to be elite athletes to start running. I don't agree with anything you said in this post. With the correct form and pace anyone can run with a small impact on joints. You just have to build up your tolerance to running.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I was under the impression that one gets shin splints from not stretching before running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »