• +

55 Replies - 2396 Views - Last Post: 13 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Reduce Belly Fats Tips

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostApokio, on 07 October 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

8% body fat really? I guess we all have to be elite athletes to start running. I don't agree with anything you said in this post. With the correct form and pace anyone can run with a small impact on joints. You just have to build up your tolerance to running.

Well, I'm not a doctor or anything. It's your joints. But I wouldn't do it if I wasn't down to almost no body fat.

And elite athletes are down to around 3% body fat. I talked to Chad Hennings about it once (he was speaking to a group and talking about his atheletic training with the Dallas Cowboys). 8% is closer to a non-athelete who is slim but not annorexic.

So, I stand by what I said. But its your life.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 07 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 07 October 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I was under the impression that one gets shin splints from not stretching before running.

You might be right :P Didn't do much of that at the time either.

View PostBBeck, on 07 October 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Well, I'm not a doctor or anything. It's your joints. But I wouldn't do it if I wasn't down to almost no body fat.

And elite athletes are down to around 3% body fat. I talked to Chad Hennings about it once (he was speaking to a group and talking about his atheletic training with the Dallas Cowboys). 8% is closer to a non-athelete who is slim but not annorexic.

So, I stand by what I said. But its your life.

I don't agree with 0 running. Running's a great way to increase your endurance. You just have to build up to long periods of running if you are overweight.

This post has been edited by nunc: 07 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

8% is a pretty ridiculous number.

run if you want, just pay attention to your body and don't overdue it. (let's be fair here, there is a huge difference between running 2 miles a couple times a week and running a half marathon) getting your lungs back in the first place will probably keep that from happening anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Read this about Body Fat it has pictures and everything. You are way off in your numbers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Will +1 when I get home - I was around 6% at the PEAK of my running form, and you could count the muscles in my upper body. 8 is REALLY good. I probably started running at 11%.

sloth definitely has the right of it (and others before) - it's not about the magical body weight percentage, it's about starting easy and not ramping up the force too quickly.

I don't know about the impact of stretching on shin splints, but the most common cause I've seen is just going too fast too soon, or running insane numbers on tough surfaces before you're ready.

Running is great, but you can't just jump in at 40 mile weeks and expect your body to like it.

Follow the 10% rule - no more than 10% increase in distance per week.

I know I touched on this in the fitness thread, but running for weight loss CAN be great, but running as most people do it won't help as much as you think it should.

To really lose weight from running without sacrificing strength/speed, etc, you really need to do HIT. You need to be running fast, with quick recovery, doing real workouts. Running a few miles is FANTASTIC and better than nothing, but true cardio fitness comes from the running workouts nobody likes to do.

This post has been edited by xclite: 07 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

We can safely say that if you run regularly, preferably with good advice from someone who knows what they're doing to minimize the chance of injury, you will lose weight and enjoy better overall fitness, and you will injure yourself from time to time.

Trying to say more than that, you're likely to get into the fun but unenlightening game of "find a study that supports me and wave it around". The data seem to be willing to tell many stories when it comes to running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

pushing sleds is AWFUL but i'm in way better shape since i started doing it.

doesn't mess with belly fat though :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I exercise a lot -- 12oz at a time-- sometimes i even play hockey while still maintaining my 12 oz ritual
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 07 October 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

We can safely say that if you run regularly, preferably with good advice from someone who knows what they're doing to minimize the chance of injury, you will lose weight and enjoy better overall fitness, and you will injure yourself from time to time.

Trying to say more than that, you're likely to get into the fun but unenlightening game of "find a study that supports me and wave it around". The data seem to be willing to tell many stories when it comes to running.

I agree with you jon. He is just way off on his numbers of body fat. 3% body fat is what body builders get to before a competition. 6-8% is where professional athletes and people who work out seriously are at.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Walk. Seriously.

I'm a big guy. Even at 8% body fat ( yeah, right ) running is still a poor choice of activity for me. I'm built like a giant Tolkien dwarf ( not the new, svelte, movie ones, either .)

Walking, now, you always gotta walk. It's simple, there are no real rules, no real fear of injury, you simply can't screw it up.

For exercise, it's more about duration than distance. I only cover a few miles, but it takes over an hour. Maybe that's why people prefer to run; everyone's in such a hurry. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

well, to be fair i think a lot of that is when you turn walking into running it becomes a little bit of a measurable. i.e. i ran 3 miles, it took me 30 minutes. then tomorrow you can run 3 miles and try to make it 29. it's easier to know if you are getting better at something thru your efforts and exertion. it's more difficult to do that with walking.

walking is great advice though. walk to lunch, take the stairs, go out with the dog. always a good thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostApokio, on 07 October 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Read this about Body Fat it has pictures and everything. You are way off in your numbers.

That is laughably inaccurate. No offense. But what they are calling 10% is more like 3%.

First of all, when Chad Hennings said he was at 3% (and I'm taking his word for it but that's something professional football players measure constantly with professionals doing the measuring) he looked about like what they are calling 10%.

The difference between 6% and 10% in those pictures is primarily lighting and not an actual difference. Put some oil on someone and some harsh lights and you'll see more definition, but both those shots are approximately the same amount of body fat.

Let's say you weigh 180 pounds. If that's 20% fat that means you are carrying around 36 pounds of fat on your body and your non-fat tissue weight is 144 pounds. If that's 10% fat you are carrying around 18 pounds of fat on your body and your non-fat tissue weight is 162 pounds. 18 pounds of fat is quite a bit except if you are 162 pounds of bone and muscle you're probably a very tall and muscular guy. Still with 18 pounds of fat you're not going to see those abs.

Anyway, if your lean weight is 144 pounds and you have 36 pounds of fat you have 20% body fat. 36 pounds is 25% of 144 pounds. In other words, at 20% body fat the weight of the fat on your body is 1/4th of the weight of muscle and bones on your body. That's a LOT of fat.

It's hard to visualize 36 pounds of fat, but fat and meat have very roughly the same weight. (Actually, I believe meat is about 20% more dense.) But if you can imagine a pound of meat, maybe a pound of hamburger meat. Imagine 30 packages of hamburger meat and how much meat that is. Now imagine strapping all that to your body. Do you think this is going to make a noticible difference in your girth?

Even 10 pounds of fat is a lot of fat if you are not 6 foot 4 inches tall. Granted. That makes you pretty slim and healthy in most cases. But it fills a signifcant volume of space. For a 100 pound woman who's 5'4" 10 pounds is about 10% body fat, and I assure you she will look more like what they are calling 20% in those pictures. 10% body fat means 10% of HER is fat. 10% of her body is nothing but fat.

Anyway, this is a bit of a tangent. I just threw that 8% number out there somewhat randomly. I didn't mean exactly 8%. What I meant was that if you have anything more than slight love handles, you probably have no business running until you get the weight off first.

Regardless of anything else, you can't argue with the laws of physics and running while carrying 40 pounds of fat instead of 20 pounds of fat is going to put far more force/stress on your joints than double. (Actually, it would be total lean body weight compared to total body weight, but you get my point.)

I think most experts would advise against running at any weight. It's very hard on the joints regardless. Adding additional weight is just exponentially worse.

But if you enjoy running, get after it. You've been warned. ;-) Get some good running shoes and I hope the best for you.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 07 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

So by your logic the picture of 3-4% is actually 0% body fat? You do know the body needs fat to function properly?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Oh. I might also point out that they are suggesting that a woman will die if she has less than about 12% body fat and that's just ridiculous.

Even if you have 0% body fat, you are not going to necessarily die. Now don't get me wrong, I STRONGLY recommend NEVER going below about 3% body fat. None of us are professional NFL players for one thing. And if you're getting down to that level there are some serious questions about whether you are getting all the nutrients you need in your diet.

Still, people don't just die because they are about -10% body fat. Granted, at some point if you keep going lower you will die. But 0% body fat is not instant death.

The problem with less than around 2% body fat is that you may go below zero on accident. If your body has no fat to eat up, it will start eating other tissue - especially muscle. So, you'll start losing muscle as your body burns muscle instead of fat. Most of us guys like to have muscle; so that alone should be reason enough.

Now if you run out of muscle, you're gonna die. In fact, you'll probably die well before you completely run out of muscle to burn. And you'll certainly have malnutrician problems long before then. But going a few percentage points below zero and burning a pound or two of muscle, may not be recommended, but you're not going to die from it.

Lots of people live through anorexia and bulimia. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but you have to go pretty far down that road before it outright kills you.

"Theoretically", if you had zero percent body fat and ate enough calories to fuel everything you burn every day, you would suffer no ill effects. Your body doesn't have to canablize anything if you eat enough to cover it. However, most people who get down to zero are not eating enough calories to meet their daily needs and their body will be forced to canibalize something just to stay alive. So again, not recommended.

View PostApokio, on 07 October 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

So by your logic the picture of 3-4% is actually 0% body fat? You do know the body needs fat to function properly?

You can eat the fat you need to function. You don't have to get it by canibalizing body fat. And again, I don't recommend going below 3% body fat for anyone under any circumstances, just in case. :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

And since I'm just babbling on about this, I might also point out that when I lost about 40 pounds counting calories as I mentioned in my other post, I got down somewhere between 10% and 8% body fat and I looked like what your pictures are calling 15% body fat.

People get all hung up on the anorexia/bulimia thing and start thinking you need to be borderline obese to be "healthy". Personally, I think you'll be more than fine as long as you keep it above 3%. Any lower than that and you're on your own because you're starting to get too close to unhealthy territory. But you're going to need to get pretty close to 3% to see those abs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +