6 Replies - 770 Views - Last Post: 14 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can You please suggest me some books for HTML Designing?

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

I am just starting to design a HTML website but this is first time. I need some books for reference.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can You please suggest me some books for HTML Designing?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can You please suggest me some books for HTML Designing?

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

What aspects of design are you needing help with?

Generally, with web technologies, things are changing and quickly, so it is better to go out and see what people are doing and what is popular at the moment then base your design off of one or more pre-existing designs along with some of your own artistic tweaks along the way.

I'd suggest taking a look at some free website template websites. They have tons of free skins which you can download and play with to your heart's content.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think HTML & CSS, design and build websites, Jon Duckett, is an excellent book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postwebdesigningcreators, on 07 October 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I am just starting to design a HTML website but this is first time. I need some books for reference.

In addition to what BetaWar said, Web Design and Development changes so quickly now, that the only thing you would get out of reading almost any book is the basic foundations of HTML/CSS design. While that might sound like a worthy endeavor for you, honestly I would suggest picking at/copying source code(for non-commerical use of course) and messing with it. Just google something simple, "Cool website designs", then right-click and view source. See what's going on. That's how you should learn web development. Books are mainly used for reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I disagree with justin_k. You need a solid grounding in HTML and CSS. The only sensible way to achieve this IMO is to sit down and read, and complete, a couple of books - or take and complete some online courses.

• Type and run all code samples. Study them until you understand them.
  • Try to make a few small changes to these pages.
  • Move on when you understand the concepts of the page(s).
  • Eventually, start to build a few pages for yourself.
  • Supplement books with other online resources and reference material.

If you have already done this then, of course, the above list won't be relevant to you.

Once you are comfortable with HTML and CSS then, by all means, examine some sites that you find interesting or attractive. These may inspire you or, at least, give you some ideas.

I believe there are a number of good books on the design aspects of websites, but it is not really in my area to recommend any. I recommend that you have a look through smashing magazines. It is an excellent resource, for articles and links to other sites and books. The have an area specifically for web design.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

I completely agree with you on the coursework being valuable for learning all things web, however, you can easily find these resources online. I mean, even W3schools.comhas value to a beginning web developer (although I would suggest that once you are grounded in the basics, you move onto better resources, like the Mozilla Developers Network Mozilla Developers Link). The question was what texts are valuable, and my answer to that question is that online resources are a better, more up to date, and usually cheaper alternative to buying and reading books.

I don't discount books completely, like I said, they provide a good reference, but rather than spend money on them, and take the time to read them, just look for developer tool networks and learn there. In HTML/CSS, the basics never really change; a <head> tag will probably always be the same, linking documents to a webpage won't change, there isn't much to cover beyond that. As far as design, no book is going to keep you current better than online information, or developer blogs. It just isn't possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

I totally agree with andrewsw, What I suggest is that you check out some online courses, to get a feel of the languages,then if you still are serious, buy some books, and really bring out the true web developer that is deep inside you somewhere.

Suggestions:
  • Online Courses

• Books

Hope, this helped, if you ever need help with any of your HTML and/or CSS, feel free to post here, and we would all be glad to help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1