Microchipping your children

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

165 Replies - 3959 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microchipping your children

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

and i chip my dog because i love him and would like to keep him with me and being in a stupid database somewhere saying i love my dog is totally worth that.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Speaking of an overly obsessed nanny state, I just came across this:

http://news.yahoo.co...-154637551.html

Kids aren't allowed to play soccer or tag now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

If this "chip" is an active transmitter it has to be powered by something, likely batteries. So, you need to install a battery unit in your kid to be able to change out their batteries every month or so.

Why?

To quote some dude:

The human body generates more bio-electricity than a 120-volt battery and over 25,00 B.T.U.s of body heat.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 .Aaron  Icon User is online

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 08 October 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

It's not like removing said chip is impossible... though would require surgery. Consider that for your kid, they might not appreciate it.

This. Wanting to keep track of your kids well and good, and so is being able to find them fast if someone takes them. But, though I'm not sure there actually is a good one, this isn't a very good way to do it. They may be yours to do what you want with for a while, but having put that in them -possibly, once they are old enough to understand it enough to make that sort of decision, against their will- so that they then have to go and have the thing cut out of them if they don't agree, is imo wrong. I certainly wouldn't have wanted it to be done to me.

This post has been edited by .Aaron: 08 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

In the US, the incidence of child "takings" (the language sounds almost Victorian...) is basically zero, and when you do hear of a child being kidnapped it's almost invariably a custody issue, so locating them isn't really the problem. The big issue is resolving the custody situation, and the chip won't help you there.

I remember years ago when there was a "fingerprint your children" drive in my junior high school. My mother absolutely refused to sign the necessary paperwork - gotta love the old radical holdovers. "I don't want my son in any FBI database!". Go, Mom! I think she was right then, and B9 is right now. Terrorizing parents with the threat of possible kidnapping of their children is a pretty despicable way to motivate them, if you ask me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#21 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 08 October 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

You'd have to put a bullet between my eyes before you put a microchip in my child.

To be fair, from the stories you've told I'd think anyone who was stupid enough to kidnap your kids would deserve every minute of it. And I also suspect you'd enjoy getting a bit of rest.

"You've taken my kids? And I need to pay a ransom? Oh, man. Yeah, I can totally do that, but can you give me a few days? To, um, get the money together? Yeah, that's it, to get the money together. Like maybe over the weekend? Great! Talk to you Monday!"
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Granted, yes, my kids can be a handful - sarcastic, intelligent, strong willed, and opinionated - but I am very much the momma bear. I will tear your face off and sever your weiner for messing with my girls.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

POPULAR

I think it's a gross violation of personal space. It's bad enough when parents/significant others search through your phone and/or track your phone via gps. The lack of trust is disgusting and a poor foundation for a relationship, no matter the relationship.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#24 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think in the reasonably near future, you might find that your girls will object to weiner severing. "Mom! I was using that!"

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostBBeck, on 08 October 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Speaking of an overly obsessed nanny state, I just came across this:

http://news.yahoo.co...-154637551.html

Kids aren't allowed to play soccer or tag now.

The "nanny state", seriously? I like how every time a sensible regulation is put into place, the "gubment" becomes the "nanny state". All they did was ban the use of hard balls that injure too many children. Kids can go home and play any way they want. Jesus...

View PostBenignDesign, on 08 October 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

No parent wants to think about their child being taken... but chipping them wouldn't stop that. Would chipping mean they'd be found faster? Maybe, maybe not.

lolwut? It actually means that your child would be found faster...

I am not opposed to the idea of chipping my child, as long as the chip is minimally invasive and removable. I guarantee that if any of you who claim they would never chip their child actually had a child who was lost of kidnapped, you would be wishing that you did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

Why would I need to chip my child? I know exactly where it is...

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostBort, on 09 October 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Why would I need to chip my child? I know exactly where it is...

Posted Image

Lol. Exactly, these days kids are on their phones 24/7 from the age of 10. So in a sense they already are microchipped...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

One reason to disagree with microchipping your kids is it will be (presumably) against their will. You could argue it's a case of "Parents know best" but the fact remains you are forcing them to have a chip implanted in them. I'd further assume it wouldn't be easy to remove, meaning when the child finally was able it would be a great hassle to get it out.

I disagree with this on the same principle I disagree with parents telling their children a magical old man made the world. It's forcing the views of the parent onto the child.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I disagree with this on the same principle I disagree with parents telling their children a magical old man made the world. It's forcing the views of the parent onto the child.

... then do you balk at children going to a school with some semblance of structure? I mean how else does a community set forth social mores and perpetuate?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 09 October 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 08 October 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

No parent wants to think about their child being taken... but chipping them wouldn't stop that. Would chipping mean they'd be found faster? Maybe, maybe not.

lolwut? It actually means that your child would be found faster...

I am not opposed to the idea of chipping my child, as long as the chip is minimally invasive and removable. I guarantee that if any of you who claim they would never chip their child actually had a child who was lost of kidnapped, you would be wishing that you did.

If you had read the rest of my post, I cited reasons why they may, in fact, NOT be found any faster.

I live in the middle of nowhere. When there is an emergency and the police are called, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not there will even be an officer on duty to take the call. Calling 911 doesn't do much good either... being at the far corner of the county, often the State Police won't bother coming this far down for a call and if they do, it takes HOURS to get them here.

In either scenario, your kid could be dead or states away by the time someone responds to your emergency. In addition, as modi pointed out, the VAST majority of missing children cases are runaways. Why would the police bust their asses to take a statement about a "missing" 13-year-old kid when there's an extremely high likelihood the kid ran away and will return of their own freewill in the next day or two?

Prime example of the police in action in my area: Last year, a 16-year-old girl was murdered by her boyfriend along a hiking trail. She was reported missing. TWO MONTHS LATER, an Amber Alert was issued for a missing person.

Would a microchip have led her to be found sooner? Maybe. Maybe not.

Budget cuts abound. No one has any money. States are dropping funding for things left and right (hence the lack of a local full-time police force - it was cut from the budget two years ago... there are two part-time officers. That's it.)...

So problem #1 is getting law enforcement to respond in the first place. Problem #2 is determining who is going to be responsible for running the software that allows someone to track the chip. Problem #3 is finding the funding to purchase the software that would allow law enforcement to track a chipped child. Problem #4 is finding the funding to pay the person with the expertise to use the software to track the chipped child.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »