3 Replies - 508 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2013 - 01:36 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

game development using directx/cryengine

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

hello dear people. i plan to develop a game. replicating jetpack joyride. i wanna use c++ as primary language. i think i have two options. 1 is directx and other is cryengine (correct me if there are other c++ options) . at current i dont have knowledge of either directx or cryengine. so first i'll be learning whichever i'll choose. i wanna know, which one is better choice for a career in game programming? i also wanna have an idea if i will be able to complete the learning and development in 7months (with full attention).
thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: game development using directx/cryengine

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: game development using directx/cryengine

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm not familiar with Jetpack Joyride. I just looked it up.

There are several options with C++. OpenGL is another option that is similar to DirectX. SDL and some other libraries would probably be an option for a 2D game like this and considerably easier than DX or OpenGL. Then I'm sure there are engines as well.

Assuming that you are very solid in your understanding of C++ and figure out quickly the best path to take, I'm thinking you might be able to do this in 3 to 4 years if you work your tail off. Game programming is not something you learn in 7 months even if you have been programming for awhile. I mean you can probably be making some extremely simple games in 7 months, but I think it's going to be years before you're making something that's truly competitive with the games that are selling out there.

You really have to learn to enjoy the "journey" of game programming because its a long one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

One thing that really catched my attention is that you want to use DirectX OR CryEngine (they're probably just an example but that's what you said).
DirectX is something completely different than CryEngine where DirectX is a Graphics library and CryEngine is an actual game engine with an editor attached to it.

If you don't have any knowledge of both but you really want to use C++ I'd suggest you look up some free "simpler" game engines. I know there are some free solutions in which you could start making games as I notice you haven't done this before.

As for your question, which one is better for a career in game programming, it depends on what you want to do. DO you want be an engine programmer? Then you should start learning DirectX (or OpenGL) because that's one of the most important things in an engine. Do you want to be a Level Designer? Look up everything you can on how to make maps in Unity, UDK, CryEngine,... doesn't matter what you do as long as you can show people your levels.

To come back to the thread subject I won't suggest you start out with DirectX. Try using an engine first, write some scripts to make things move, understand what a game engine actually does. When you're finished with that you should start creating a simple engine with DirectX or whatever graphics library you want to use.

I hope this is enough information. If you want to know more, let me (us) know.
Oh yeah, and what BBeck said is right! You don't just start developing games all of a sudden.

Regards,
Frostraver
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

I think SDL2 would be perfect for jetpack joyride. That being said you may have better luck learning AS3 and using that to develop it with starling (they used it for facebook angry birds).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1