3 Replies - 385 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Portable User Interface Programming

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi, we have a requirement to develop an User Interface which should be able to deploy in Linux as well as Windows XP/7. Please can you help me in with some tips.

Thanks
Selva
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Portable User Interface Programming

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Portable User Interface Programming

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey.

Well, you'll need to pick a programming language that will work cross-platform, like Java and Python, for example. (There are many others, but those are very popular.)

Unless this is more of a server-centric system, in which case it might be a good idea to just go ahead and write a website. Those are about the most cross-platform compatible solutions you'll find.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea if ANSI C Programming supports UI with portable features? if so, please can you point to the link or tutorial which says about that..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

The C programming language is very popular, and it can be compiled for pretty much all platforms, although you'll have to do so individually for each of them. The problem will be finding and setting up a UI that can work on all the desired platforms. Projects like GTK+ could allow you to do that.

I'd have to warn you though, as you seem very new to programming, that C is not the easiest language to get started with. It's extremely powerful and - along with it's more OOP counterpart, C++ - is the language used for high-performance applications, but it's relatively low level compared to languages like Java and Python. You'll have to do things like manage memory pointers, which can complicate things, especially when you are getting started.

My suggestion for you would be Python, perhaps even using a Python GTK+ wrapper for cross-platform UIs. It's a very straight-forward language that I highly recommend for those starting out. It's far less likely to cause you to want to rip out your hair the first few days/weeks/months than languages like C or C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1