8 Replies - 1095 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Job Advice Needed

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi All,

I got a job offer from a tech company. It's a very interesting company, they do the kind of software that i would like to be developing in the future. Everything sounds perfect but there is 1 major problem.

The job itself is a grad scheme where i will be thrown around 3-4 different roles for 1 year. NONE of these roles has anything to do with software development. They know that i want to be a software developer as i expressed it multiple of times during the interview. They say that internal mobility is encouraged but only once i complete the grad scheme.

Should i take it? Company itself seems great, people seem great but this 1 year of not coding annoys me. Obviously, i will keep up my skills as i always did but coding after school/work. Is my CV going to suffer by not having a software developer role right after the university?

Anyway, i am looking for some advice. I don't want to say yes to a job and then be miserable for quite some time.

Tech stack: .NET(C#).

P.S: maybe i should ask them to 'promise' me the dev role after the grad scheme or does that sound childish?

Regards

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job Advice Needed

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job Advice Needed

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

... what's a "grad scheme"? Is that like an intern or more like a gran torino?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Grad Scheme ---> not an internship since you are a permanent employee but a period where you go to a job after uni and you get a lot of training and maybe you are protected a bit more, but still do the job that is required of you obv. Hope it helps a little.

This post has been edited by darek9576: 11 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

... an entry level job?

This is a Brit thing, right? If this is typical employment behavior (finish school -> grad scheme -> do actual work-work) then I would advise to play ball - unless you have other pans in the fire where you do software dev out of gate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

I am in the middle of interviewing with other companies where i will be doing pure development but the software they do is not as interesting as company mentioned above.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

If the work is interesting enough, you plan on being there for more than three years, and the worst is you suck it up for a year of non-coding (to be better familiarized with the company) then I think you have a pretty clear winner.

Then again I do not know what the "3-4 roles" entail nor issues of pay.. so that may be a factor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

If you can't step into the desired position, I would demand a contract stating the date (or stipulations leading to that date) to secure the position. If they refuse to provide this, I would pass on the offer.

A year is far too long for the company to change direction, managers, or anything that basically fucks you over, & they get an over-qualified candidate for less pay.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

It sounds to me that they want you to be their bitch and not want to hire you for what you want to do. Think of it this way-- you get a phd in brain surgery and hospital offers you a job a s a janitor-- will you take that job?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 October 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

If you can't step into the desired position, I would demand a contract stating the date (or stipulations leading to that date) to secure the position. If they refuse to provide this, I would pass on the offer.

A year is far too long for the company to change direction, managers, or anything that basically fucks you over, & they get an over-qualified candidate for less pay.

Good advice. But is it ok for me to demand it as i am a junior. Or age does not play a role in these kind of situations.
Thanks for advice btw.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1