• +

39 Replies - 4784 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Piracy for Game Development is Outrageously High

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostLogical94, on 13 October 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

I feel the piracy issues today are not fully because there are numerous amounts of smart crackers out there, but that the developers themselves have not implemented security measures that are appropriate.

The common method is the basic serial number evaluation. we all know this. (Upon Installation, Check if entered serial number exists on the database)
This is a horrible way to evaluate the integrity of the software, because traditionally you can use the same serial as many times as you like.

What more people should be doing, is hardwareID (HWID) verification as well as serial number verification, plus having the owner of the serial number be affiliated with a user-account (upon purchase of software, have them register an account)

Place a cap on the amount of machines that your account is linked to as well.
Of course a method to prevent bypassing these verification checks needs to be implemented as well.

Essentially, developers continue to complain about their products being cracked and distributed for free, but rarely do I ever see a company that put in the extra effort to protect their property to an effective level.

As a paying consumer, I love all of these DRM schemes that always work flawlessly and never get in my way and don't treat me like a potential thief!

This post has been edited by xclite: 13 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostLogical94, on 13 October 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

I feel the piracy issues today are not fully because there are numerous amounts of smart crackers out there, but that the developers themselves have not implemented security measures that are appropriate.

The common method is the basic serial number evaluation. we all know this. (Upon Installation, Check if entered serial number exists on the database)
This is a horrible way to evaluate the integrity of the software, because traditionally you can use the same serial as many times as you like.

What more people should be doing, is hardwareID (HWID) verification as well as serial number verification, plus having the owner of the serial number be affiliated with a user-account (upon purchase of software, have them register an account)

Place a cap on the amount of machines that your account is linked to as well.
Of course a method to prevent bypassing these verification checks needs to be implemented as well.

Essentially, developers continue to complain about their products being cracked and distributed for free, but rarely do I ever see a company that put in the extra effort to protect their property to an effective level.

First off we've been talking about indie games.

Second off, what year are you from? That very model is done by many publishers.

There are other models today as well. The most common model right now is online registration by account. And consumers seem to like it (though some publishers tried expanding it to always online verification, which annoys consumers).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

DRM... You know, sometimes that alone might be reason enough to pirate game.

I'm currently replaying an old fav, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Now, I have my original copy, somewhere. ( Everything is somewhere since a big storm last year. ) However, I was at a charity sale and they had a used ( preowned? You know, the kind of thing game companies what to be illegal ) copy, so I grabbed it.

It's some anniversary edition, with two games on the disk. I thought, since it was repackaged, I might be spared the DRM. But, no, I'm required to leave the disk in the drive to play the game. So, even though I've legally acquired this game, twice, I'm considering cracking it simply out of annoyance.

Conversely, I'm happy to pay for DRM free stuff and recently threw more than the average wad at the last humble bundle. You'll note, the Linux users always pay the most. Funny, that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 13 October 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

DRM... You know, sometimes that alone might be reason enough to pirate game.

Brilliant! Just like someone locking their door is the perfect reason for kicking it in...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

To be fair - that analogy would be more accurate if you described it as renting a house (or apartment) and having your key intermittently not work, or having to run through an American Gladiator gauntlet to get in each time.

edit:

I would also accept an analogy from the final stage of the Klingon's "Rite of Ascension".
Posted Image

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 13 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 October 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

To be fair - that analogy would be more accurate if you described it as renting a house (or apartment) and having your key intermittently not work, or having to run through an American Gladiator gauntlet to get in each time.

lol. No.

Owning one copy of a game does not give you the right to pirate another. People always find excuses to justify illegal behavior...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Where did this other copy of the game come into play? I am merely trying to make your analogy of locked house doors more accurate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 October 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Where did this other copy of the game come into play? I am merely trying to make your analogy of locked house doors more accurate.

No other copy. I misread the post.

DRM is never a reason to crack or pirate software is all I am saying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think it was more of an expression of frustration than a serious moral argument. But I guess some people take things very literally, even if they're not meant to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Though, some days, I wouldn't mind having an American Gladiator gauntlet to run through. That you can take literally.

mmm... Lace and Zap!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 October 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

But I guess some people take things very literally, even if they're not meant to be.

The pot calling the kettle black...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

90% "potential" customers? 90% from how much? 100?1000?100000? more?
I don't think that that calculation is that simple, 90% piracy -> 90% potential customers. Well it looks ok when legislation and statistics are presented, but i don't think the world works that way.
Second nobody cares what the developers/team leads etc like or dislike or what they find annoying, it's the way the market works.(refering to the "Shazim: It is…if you do it right. If I could do it again, or in the future we would go with the Free-to-Play route. I typically don’t like it because I think it’s annoying but I see what developers do it. It’s just the best way to counter piracy." )
The point is, in my opinion, things aren't that simple 90% piracy -> 90% potential customers.

This post has been edited by izrafel: 14 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 13 October 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

DRM is never a reason to crack or pirate software is all I am saying.

Logically, DRM is the only reason to crack a game...

Read my post again. I have two legal copies of a game. However, the copy protection system on the game is so annoyingly inconvenient, I've considered apply a crack to it just to use what I paid for!

Now, since I own these copies, would manipulating them in this way be illegal? I'm not entirely sure. I have no intent to redistribute, I only wish to remove a crippling limitation from something I legally own. A limitation place there based on the invalid assumption that I don't legally own it.

When a company assumes that everyone using their product is a thief, the have only aliened their legitimate customers. Thieves will always steal. DRM doesn't work. It has never worked. And, as a paying customer, I'll go out of my way to give my money to a company that respects me enough not to use it.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 14 October 2013 - 03:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

1. Make great games for your hardcore fanbase.
2. Be an awesome game dev.
3. Get in touch with the right people.
4. Increase your hardcore fans.
5. ??? (Make Minecraft?)
6. Profit!

:P

But anyway. Nothing will ever stop people from pirating games. So I don't see it as an issue, as it does not have a 100% solution. The video games industry makes more money than Hollywood nowadays, even with big piracy rates.

For a new dev generally. Who are you so anyone should throw money at your game? It's about building your hardcore fans, keeping good rep, and getting in touch with the right people. These days, manage to get in the Steam store, and you're a successful developer, get your game reviewed by TotalBiscit and people will swarm at it, your game get's played by the Yogscast.. Profit!, etc... But nothing happens in a day, you have to work at it and build it up.

At least that's the way i see it.

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

I would deal with games piracy the same way I would if I made a movie. After the game is complete, go back through it and change any dialogue to things like 'Yarrr, me hearties', 'shiver me timbers' and so on, then upload my 'pirate' version of the game to be pirated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +