Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

71 Replies - 2666 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a large portion of the country, almost 30%, do not believe in man's contribution to climate change. The numbers are dropping every year. I don't get it myself. We know from not only from basic physics, but also from heat-seeking missile tests in the 50s that CO2 traps heat. It follows that the more that is trapped in the atmosphere, the more heat will be trapped with it.

Science is the single best tool we have for discerning what is most likely true from that which is not, so when nearly 100% of scientists say something, it is worthwhile to cast political and superstitious beliefs aside and listen.

I know that there are people with little understanding of science who are gullible enough to believe that the U.S. government actually has to create world-wide hoaxes just to tax them more, but I had no idea their numbers were so high!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

POPULAR

Is it entirely necessary to grace us with your unbiased reporting on every political event?
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

farrell2k said:

know that there are people with little understanding of science who are gullible enough to believe that the U.S. government actually has to create world-wide hoaxes just to tax them more, but I had no idea their numbers were so high!

Yea, that's just stupid. The US government is clearly not responsible. It's obvious that it's not a hoax. - Global warming is real. It was created by "them" in preparation for their alien overlords invading Earth. They don't like the cold, so they need it heated up before they get here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Wait, wait, wait, wait.

What is this global warming you speak of?

I live in Florida, it's always fucking hot.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

@atli - has someone been watching the historical documentary "The Arrival" again?

Spoiler

In humorous other news - the Brits are joining the bandwagon against the global warming discussion:

September 19, 2013

A report from the UK Energy Research Centre also shows the number of those who resolutely do not believe in climate change has more than quadrupled since 2005.

The Government funded report shows 19 per cent of people are climate change disbelievers - up from just four per cent in 2005 - while nine per cent did not know.

The report comes as climate change scientists working on a landmark UN report on climate change are struggling to explain why global warming appears to have slowed down in the past 15 years even though greenhouse gas emissions keep rising.

cite1

.. and zie Germans:

September 23, 2013 – 02:44 PM

Germans are losing their fear of climate change. While in 2006 a sizeable majority of 62 percent expressed a fear of global warning, that number has now become a minority of just 39 percent.

cite 2

.. those Rutabaga eat'n Swedes:

7 May 2012
[...] one out of ten municipal politicians and local government managers totally deny that the phenomenon of global warming even exists, according to a survey carried out by the Swedish Defence Research Agency (Försvarets forskningsinstitutet – FOI).
In essence, the survey indicates that 70 percent of Sweden's local politicians don't believe in the science.

cite 3

A few more countries...

June 24, 2013
Four-in-ten say this poses a major threat to their nation, making Americans among the least concerned about this issue of the 39 publics surveyed, along with people in China, Czech Republic, Jordan, Israel, Egypt and Pakistan.

cite 4
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

lordofduct said:

What is this global warming you speak of?

I'm sorry. I forgot. It's apparently "climate change" now. As it turns out, it wasn't getting hot enough fast enough, so the "warming" part of the original name didn't quite make the impact they hoped for.

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 October 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

@atli - has someone been watching the historical documentary "The Arrival" again?

How di... I mean... Not at all! Is it any good? :innocent:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Who cares. There are Americans out there that believe the moon landing was a hoax. Why should we concern ourselves over what they think?

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 11 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

No, you wanna crazy.

I know this guy, he's like 25. He was raised by peace loving nazis, he too is a peace loving nazi. He believes that Hitler was only trying to unify the world into a single peaceful nation (oh and the holocaust was propaganda made about him by the allies).

He also believes the nazis lived on the inside of the earth, oh yeah, the earth is hollow.

And that the sun is sentient, and if gets in a bad mood will turn off.

AND believes that history is personal, and physics is subjective and relative.

Now that last one might be hard to understand... it took me a while to wrap around this.

It's basically that he believes that what you believe is true, only for you, and those who agree with you.

For example, he believes that WW2 was a war fought with Tesla physics on one side, and Einsteinian physics on the other. Meaning that for the allied forces had to follow the rules of physics and science that Tesla had so far understood. Where as the Germans had to follow the rules of Einstein's science...

yeah.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

That sounds fun, I'm joining HIS camp...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

A few years back, my dad announced that he didn't believe in global warming and that the last ice age hadn't ended yet because the polar ice caps were still there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

I avoid people that start topics about 'opinion', & then argue that you're a fucking retard because you don't believe the way they believe. It stinks up my mind like 2nd hand smoke stinks up clothes.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 15 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I avoid people that start topics about 'opinion', & then argue that you're a fucking retard because you don't believe the way they believe. It stinks up my mind like 2nd hand smoke stinks up clothes.

I guess you'd have a point, if the poll demonstrated the "opinion" that fewer Americans today believe in global warming, but it does not. It demonstrates the "fact" that fewer Americans today believe. Both polls in the article demonstrate this fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

highest temperatures of us

none of which are past the year 2000. & we've only been recording temperature since the late 1800's, which is a mere spit in the bucket of the age of this planet.

I know that there are people with little understanding of science who are gullible enough to believe that the U.S. government actually has to create world-wide hoaxes just to tax them more, but I had no idea their numbers were so high!

But since you're going to put words in my mouth, I'm not going to bother to elaborate.

Al Gore invented the internet, & he invented global warming. Big woo.

** update **
S.D. reached 120 in July 15, 2006 Kelly Ranch/Usta
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a large portion of the country, almost 30%, do not believe in man's contribution to climate change.

So you find some old survey, with a limited sampling IMO, that espouses your beliefs and consider it fact? How do you know that the questions asked are not biased to produce a desired outcome?

so when nearly 100% of scientists say something,

And where are you getting this information that you call a fact? Where is your survey of scientists showing this outcome?

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Well it is obvious that the planet is heating up. I have never seen any concrete evidence that says humans are the cause but you would think they would be considering the amount of heat we produce including bodies and non human heat (cars). However being a child of the 70's I can tell you that before now that the pplanet was already heating up.

This may explain a bit

http://www.skeptical.../print.php?r=24
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »