Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

71 Replies - 2727 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

The heat a car produces isn't the suspected cause for global warming.. it's the emissions that do it.

And I don't get how just because you lived in the 70s you can tell the world's heating up. You realize it's only risen a couple degrees?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Climate change exists. The facts recorded point towards that, it has been subjected to peer review, there is only a tiny minority of scientists who don't agree.

As for it being of human cause, they're not certain on that. What they can say is that we play a role in it at the very least, and it's highly likely we are the primary cause.

If you want to dig into the most recent information/facts/studies on it, here's the report used for the 2013 intergovernmental panel on climate change:

http://www.ipcc.ch/r...1/#.Ul16HlCkr2K
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Note though, you can't say "climate change is a fact", it's like saying "evolution is a fact". They aren't, they're theories (usage of which is in the scientific nomenclature, not the colloquial).

There are facts of evolution, and there are facts of climate change. This is the data that supports the theory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 15 October 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

And I don't get how just because you lived in the 70s you can tell the world's heating up. You realize it's only risen a couple degrees?

easily--- i have been around many decades and have noticed a heat up without scientists telling us. For instance in early 80's snow was much more common and we recieved more than we do now. Personally I think that the season cycles are changing and it is gettign warmer sooner (spring) and colder faster( fall)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

easily--- i have been around many decades and have noticed a heat up without scientists telling us. For instance in early 80's snow was much more common and we recieved more than we do now.

Then how do you explain the following from the link posted by lordofduct in post #17

It is likely that since about 1950 the number of heavy precipitation events over land has increased in
more regions than it has decreased. Regional trends vary but confidence is highest for central North
America with very likely trends towards heavier precipitation events. [2.6.2.1]

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostDarenR, on 15 October 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 15 October 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

easily--- i have been around many decades and have noticed a heat up without scientists telling us. For instance in early 80's snow was much more common and we recieved more than we do now. Personally I think that the season cycles are changing and it is gettign warmer sooner (spring) and colder faster( fall)

There's a reason why it's officially called 'climate change' and colloquially it is called 'global warming'.

Climate change doesn't necessarily mean getting warmer. It could actually mean more severe winters.

Furthermore, local trends don't necessarily paint the full picture. Climate change is measured on the global scale, your local (or anecdotal) evidence needs to be poured into the pot with all the other data to plot the overall global trend over time.

The studies show that precipitation is increasing globally. And severity of storms is increasing.

The warming comes from the fact that the polar caps are melting. This is due to a general warming trend in the poles. This doesn't necessarily mean warming exists anywhere.

Now I understand you're not denying climate change, but my point is that your anecdotal observations aren't how scientists know it exists. The scale of your story can also be used by climate change deniers who say things like how in their reason winters have been 'colder' and 'more severe'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostDarenR, on 15 October 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

For instance in early 80's snow was much more common and we recieved more than we do now.

http://garrettcounty...nnual-snowfall/
I drive to work in this shit. Please, tell me again how snow is so uncommon now...

View Postno2pencil, on 15 October 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

we've only been recording temperature since the late 1800's, which is a mere spit in the bucket of the age of this planet.

http://en.wikipedia....rth_creationism
It's wikipedia. It HAS to be true.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 15 October 2013 - 11:50 AM
Reason for edit:: .. because calling no2 a motherfucker was inappropriate.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 15 October 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 15 October 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

we've only been recording temperature since the late 1800's, which is a mere spit in the bucket of the age of this planet.

http://en.wikipedia....rth_creationism
It's wikipedia. It HAS to be true.

http://en.wikipedia....t_Earth_Society

I applied to be a member, but was rejected.

View PostBenignDesign, on 15 October 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 15 October 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

I avoid people that start topics about 'opinion', & then argue that you're a fucking retard because you don't believe the way they believe. It stinks up my mind like 2nd hand smoke stinks up clothes.

You're a fucking retard. That's not my opinion. That's fact. And I have the right to free speech... so eat that, motherfucker.

Go make me a sandwich, & I'll eat that instead.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Postjimblumberg, on 15 October 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a large portion of the country, almost 30%, do not believe in man's contribution to climate change.

So you find some old survey, with a limited sampling IMO, that espouses your beliefs and consider it fact? How do you know that the questions asked are not biased to produce a desired outcome?

so when nearly 100% of scientists say something,

And where are you getting this information that you call a fact? Where is your survey of scientists showing this outcome?

Jim

I think you and a few others are missing the point. The fact to which I am referring is the fact that fewer believe in climate change now than less than a decade ago...

Climate change is real, and man is playing his part to accelerate it. How anyone can deny the conclusion to which the evidence leads from 12,000 peer-reviewed studies is beyond stupid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 15 October 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Note though, you can't say "climate change is a fact", it's like saying "evolution is a fact". They aren't, they're theories (usage of which is in the scientific nomenclature, not the colloquial).

There are facts of evolution, and there are facts of climate change. This is the data that supports the theory.

You are a lot closer than most Americans when it comes to evolution.

Evolution is most definitely an observed fact. It happens. The scientific theory of evolution is a theory attempts to explain that fact, and of corse is quite successful. I think you may have been getting at it anyway. I just wanted to clea the air regarding evolution being a theory. It is most definitely not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

I think you and a few others are missing the point.

No, I'm not missing the point, I'm questioning your "facts".

Climate change is real, and man is playing his part to accelerate it.

Climate change is quite possibly real and man is probably playing part. But you seem to always leave out the possibility that man's part in this change is much lower than the hype.

How anyone can deny the conclusion to which the evidence leads from 12,000 peer-reviewed studies is beyond stupid.

And where do you get this number of peer-reviewed studies? And even if that number is correct, how many peer-reviewed studies refute these claims?

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

POPULAR

No, I'm as close as necessary.

Genetic mutation is a fact, evolution is the theory that extrapolates genetic mutation to be what many call 'evolution'. Of course some people will use the word evolution to name the facts that support the theory of evolution. Many identify this as being confusing ("I screw a screw with a screwdriver" is my favorite analogy of this), and instead prefer to only call the theory part 'evolution'.

It most definitely IS theory. It's just that theory, in the case of the scientific nomenclature isn't the same as the colloquial meaning. The colloquial being that a theory is a guess, where as the scientific meaning is: "a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained."

Good job clearing it up though...

I also appreciate your condescending attitude to Americans. Because you know, we're all cave-men throwing rocks over here.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#28 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

To continue on my hammering of actual cited references:

View Postfarrell2k, on 15 October 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

.. snip...

I think you and a few others are missing the point. The fact to which I am referring is the fact that fewer believe in climate change now than less than a decade ago...

Climate change is real, and man is playing his part to accelerate it. How anyone can deny the conclusion to which the evidence leads from 12,000 peer-reviewed studies is beyond stupid.

Well duh - climate is change.

As for your lock tight evidence that it is man - pish-posh...

Fri September 27, 2013

Human activity has caused at least half of climate change in the last half-century, hundreds of scientists say. They are 95% certain of this, the surest they've ever been, says a United Nations report published Friday.
cite

This of course assumes we have the right data because S02 screws with data, heat islands, and ocean CO2 sinks and the increase solar radiation. Of course - while there is a percentage of the US population who have issues with climate change, but the feds are already moving on curbing emissions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Wait, where is that evidence from (the cnn article)? Who posted that?

News articles aren't evidence for science first off (unless you're using them as evidence of news). This includes your subsequent links.

But the cnn article is referring to the very document that I already posted. It's MASSIVE and will take any of us a large amount of time to read through and digest all of it. Thing is the document is based on thousands of peer reviewed studies, and the conclusions in it say it exists and that there is a huge chance we caused it. I'll take that any day over WIRED.com

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

The need citation was the "95%". Sooooooooo close to the fabled 1%ers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »