Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

71 Replies - 2678 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

#61 Craig328  Icon User is offline

  • I make this look good
  • member icon

Reputation: 1914
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,448
  • Joined: 13-January 08

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I just assumed that those who considered themselves informed on the subject would already know of this. There were also the numerous occasions where FOI requests were outright ignored by NASA which appeared to be in the midst of revising data collected as far back as the 1930's when they weighed in with their own climate models.

That's mirrored by the University of East Anglia's laughable claims that they had tossed the original raw data they collected to build the temperature models that underpinned much of the "science" behind global warming. Naturally, that claim only came to light once they were served with the British version of a FOI suit. They couldn't release the data because it didn't exist anymore. Because science is all about destroying original raw data.

Maybe or maybe not but coupled with their concurrent email scandal at the time, it gives any reasonable person with a functioning brain stem enough reason to be at least a little skeptical. Refusing for years to release the data and then when compelled legally to do so suddenly claim it doesn't exist? Yeah, totally believable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#62 farrell2k  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 822
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,529
  • Joined: 29-July 11

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 17 October 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Farrel2k, Actually everyone does get to argue and talk about your original post.


Argue about the post all you want, man, but when two scientific polls conclude that a large portion of Americans do not believe in man's influence on climate change, then that is a fact. A large group of people don't believe. Facts are by definition not up for debate. You wouldn't debate the fact that Hitler was a mass murderer, or that the moon is held in place by gravity, so why argue about any other fact?

This thread has devolved into nonsense by science deniers and conspiracy theorists who see global warming as a political issue. You guys want to debate that, go ahead. My original post did not open that up for debate; it is merely an observation about the large numbers of deniers.


View PostCraig328, on 17 October 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

I just assumed that those who considered themselves informed on the subject would already know of this. There were also the numerous occasions where FOI requests were outright ignored by NASA which appeared to be in the midst of revising data collected as far back as the 1930's when they weighed in with their own climate models.

That's mirrored by the University of East Anglia's laughable claims that they had tossed the original raw data they collected to build the temperature models that underpinned much of the "science" behind global warming. Naturally, that claim only came to light once they were served with the British version of a FOI suit. They couldn't release the data because it didn't exist anymore. Because science is all about destroying original raw data.

Maybe or maybe not but coupled with their concurrent email scandal at the time, it gives any reasonable person with a functioning brain stem enough reason to be at least a little skeptical. Refusing for years to release the data and then when compelled legally to do so suddenly claim it doesn't exist? Yeah, totally believable.


I don't do the whole conspiracy theory thing...

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 17 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#63 lordofduct  Icon User is offline

  • I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon


Reputation: 2531
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,631
  • Joined: 24-September 10

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

He Thinks opinion poll results are facts...

You know the facts of those 2 polls?

The fact is that 2 polls determined that 30% of the population doesn't believe climate change is caused by man.

It is not fact that 30% don't believe this, it is fact that 2 polls came up with these results.

But that's neither here nor there, because that's not what everyone has been arguing about. If you've been in the discussion with that stance... well that's probably why you think everyone is acting so weird, because you don't know what they're saying.

The 'argument' or 'debate' going on here isn't debating that those polls came up with those results. They're arguing the trustworthiness of the opinion poll, and more so arguing man's role in climate change, and even the existence of climate change.

No one has said those polls don't exist. They demonstrably exist.



Also people have been criticizing you for your bias and hypocritical nature of smashing people for their politics, when you yourself swing your politics like a giant bat.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 17 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#64 supersloth  Icon User is offline

  • serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon


Reputation: 4496
  • View blog
  • Posts: 28,404
  • Joined: 21-March 01

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

*
POPULAR

Posted Image

This post has been edited by supersloth: 17 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#65 farrell2k  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 822
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,529
  • Joined: 29-July 11

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 17 October 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

They're arguing the trustworthiness of the opinion poll, and more so arguing man's role in climate change, and even the existence of climate change.


lol. Arguing the trustworthiness of an opinion poll is like arguing the trustworthiness of someone telling you their favorite color is red. If 1,000 people in a poll tell you their favorite color is red, then it is a fact that your poll has determined that 1,000 people claim their favorite color is red. There is no debating that.

The intent of the thread was to point out how many people do not believe that man influences climate change, and everyone went on the defensive and devolved the thread into a debate as to whether man influences climate change...

You guys did this.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 17 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#66 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8963
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,617
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

As a side note - your article said 27%... is 27% now considered large now?

Quote

The intent of the thread was to point out how many people do not believe that man influences climate change

Let's me honest - your intent was to run a "herp a derp - da st00pid americanz don't beliebs in climate change!" thread.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 17 October 2013 - 02:47 PM
Reason for edit:: fixed image tag

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#67 Craig328  Icon User is offline

  • I make this look good
  • member icon

Reputation: 1914
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,448
  • Joined: 13-January 08

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 17 October 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

The intent of the thread was to point out how many people do not believe that man influences climate change, and everyone went on the defensive and devolved the thread into a debate as to whether man influences climate change...


By incorrectly claiming that a poll that didn't ask that question actually did ask that question.

Quote

And in Stanford University's long-standing poll of climate opinions, faith in climate change is on the wane as well. In 2006, 85 percent of respondents said they believed global temperatures were increasing (the survey didn't ask whether that warming is human-induced). This year, that figure fell to 82 percent, and it was down to 73 percent in 2012.


Quote

...a large portion of the country, almost 30%, do not believe in man's contribution to climate change.


You did that.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 17 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#68 jimblumberg  Icon User is offline

  • member icon


Reputation: 3993
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,323
  • Joined: 25-December 09

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Quote

The intent of the thread was to point out how many people do not believe that man influences climate change,


But where have you actually proved that point? By your own words:

Quote

guing the trustworthiness of an opinion poll is like arguing the trustworthiness of someone telling you their favorite color is red. If 1,000 people in a poll tell you their favorite color is red, then it is a fact that your poll has determined that 1,000 people claim their favorite color is red.


This is true of your poll as well. The only facts are that X many people believe man is not responsible. You can not take this one small poll and state that it is a fact that X% of people believe this. It may however reasonable to presume that this may be the case but it is not fact, it is the opinion of the people taking the poll. Opinion is not fact.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#69 lordofduct  Icon User is offline

  • I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon


Reputation: 2531
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,631
  • Joined: 24-September 10

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 17 October 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

View Postlordofduct, on 17 October 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

They're arguing the trustworthiness of the opinion poll, and more so arguing man's role in climate change, and even the existence of climate change.


lol. Arguing the trustworthiness of an opinion poll is like arguing the trustworthiness of someone telling you their favorite color is red. If 1,000 people in a poll tell you their favorite color is red, then it is a fact that your poll has determined that 1,000 people claim their favorite color is red. There is no debating that.


You do know that there is a difference between 30% of those polled said A, is different from 30% of people said A.

And yes, the trust worthiness of a poll can come into question. What use are those numbers if you don't extrapolate information from the data (the data is the facts, the information extrapolated are not). It's worth nothing to say 30% of poll takers thinks A... it means nothing with out extrapolating from there. And that's when the trust worthiness of the poll comes into play.

And again, I said people were arguing more about climate change, and not your fucking poll.

I'm going to take supersloth's visual comment to heart, and back out now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#70 Lemur  Icon User is offline

  • Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon


Reputation: 1359
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,424
  • Joined: 28-November 09

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm out as well. If I want this type of nonsensical rambling and refusal of logic, I'll go to facebook.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#71 farrell2k  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 822
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,529
  • Joined: 29-July 11

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 17 October 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

And again, I said people were arguing more about climate change, and not your fucking poll.


Yep. My post was about the poll, but in true to form DIC fashion, everyone came in here assuming it was a personal attack on their personal/religious beliefs regarding climate change and shit all over the entire thread, demonstrating that most here have the intelligence level of a wet fart.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 17 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

#72 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8963
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,617
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Fewer Americans believe in Climate change...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

... and the stupid train stops here.

Here's your moment of zen..

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5