• +
  • Last »

62 Replies - 4305 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Role Playing Games

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

I was catching up on the weekend's posts, and I noticed that I'm not the only one around here who plays RPGs with friends. So, I was just wondering who plays what, and what your characters are like.

I used to run D&D, but very rarely got a chance to play it, so for all the characters I had in D&D, none are really memorable. These days though, I'm playing in two games - Space 1889, and SLA Industries. Both are fairly obscure games, although Space 1889 has just been rereleased, I think. Space 1889 is a Victorian era sci-fi game. Before we started playing, my friend who would become GM said "Think Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, or H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. These things actually happened in the game universe. Nemo and the Nautilus exist."

The players each play a British explorer, adventurer, soldier, whatever, at the height of the British Empire. The Empire has a foothold on Mars, and has started exploring Venus. The majority of the game is supposed to take place on Mars, as the players join a faction called the Red Captains (basically privateers helping defend the British colonies on Mars).

My character in that game is Sir James Muldoon VC, a former petty officer in the Royal Navy until he was honourably discharged due to an injury taken during a boarding action. Through actions taken in game, he has recently married into nobility and was presented with a minor title of his own. Along with the rest of the group, he also received the Victoria Cross, for actions of valour taken in the war on Mars. Physically, he is built like a brick outhouse and, judging from the GM's descriptions of the various rank levels, he has a strength that is 'legendary' (Strength 6, highest possible rating in the game).

The other game I play is SLA Industries. It's a screwed up futuristic alternate reality where the galaxy has been all but taken over by one very powerful individual, Mr Slayer, and is ran by him and his cohorts. Just about everything is owned by SLA Industries, and they employ operatives to deal with any problems that occur. These could be mutated beasts escaping from damaged parts of the capital city, or rival street gangs going to war and causing loss of profit, or even new companies forming to try to take on the might that is SLA Industries. As you've probably guessed, the group plays SLA Ops.

My character for that is one very messed up individual. Going by the name of Batch A/27-1, he is a genetically bred construct designed to be able to shapeshift. Because of the time frame the game is set in, Batch was actually one of the very first Vevaphones (that's what the catalogue entry calls his race) to enter mainstream service, instead of just being lab rats while the scientists try to iron out all the glitches in their latest and best creation. Because he was one of the first, and also because of some tampering that happened while he was still being brewed in his vat (character background story), Batch isn't the best at abusing his natural abilities, but he still has more than enough control over his adaptable body to perform admirably as the assassin he was meant to be.

However, recently, due to an unforseen incident in the fittingly named Cannibal Sectors, all pre-programmed loyalty to SLA Industries has been wiped from his mind. Before this incident, he was already an utterly immoral killing machine, but one that was entirely loyal. Now, he is still a killing machine, but his views on loyalty have changed somewhat. Now, he follows SLA Industries' instruction because they pay the bills, but since we started up our most recent SLA campaign, he has been getting more and more crazy. Eventually, unless something is done, he is going to go off the deep end and become a serial killer.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Role Playing Games

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Role Playing Games

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

RPGs: Shadowrun (Troll hacker, Human reconaissance SWAT member) & DSA (Human viking priest, Half-elven illusionist, Half-elven ranger priest, Elven conjurer, Dwarfen merchant, Dwarfen sword fighter, Human cavalrist)

others I have played (occasionally): D&D, Pathfinder, STURM, KULT, Arcane Codex, Whack the Goblin, Wushu

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 14 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

What is DSA? The others I've heard of. I played Shadowrun briefly before our group decided to play SLA. My character was an elf magician.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Das Schwarze Auge
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

i used to play d&d i was a very strong dumb elf. and by strong i mean i rolled the max for strength 4 times ina row which is un heard of but for the brains department i got a 1.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

I am currently playing Mutant Future. It is a post-apocalyptic, science fantasy. Only recently started playing it. My character is a highly intelligent android who remembers everything before the nuclear war started years ago. The desire to be all knowing caused a microchip to be placed in my system that will cause my body to self destruct if I don't help the person who put it there find some fancy artifact.

It's pretty intense, but loads of fun. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

In my high-school days I enjoyed some D&D (2nd addition) & Shadowrun. Hardly have the time or resources much anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

We should have a private did forum for this, visible to only those involved, and we could run our own games. We take turns posting and shit, someone could be DM and we could use a dice app for rolls or something. That'd be fun, ja?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

I'd be up for that Neo :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

From my previous post in another thread:

I'm in the midst of a Pathfinder group every Saturday night. Currently on a pirate adventure. I'm playing Helga, the Bearded Bitch. She's a dwarven fighter. She stands 3'6", weighs approximately 200lbs., with a full, flowing red beard and boobs the size of a small country. She has a charisma score of 2... not exactly a people person. She communicates primarily by grunts and harpy-esque wailing.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm currently apart of 2 different groups. One is running paragon Against the giants where I play a death dealing Barbarian and the other one is a custom rolled campaign where I play the dead barbarian far too often. I am also apart of 2 PBP games one a Classic D&D (Like back when Dwarf was a class) game that is a see how long you can last type of game. The other is a 4e game that has taken the old 2e classic campaigns and upgraded them for 4e. I also help manage a forum dedicated to playing Tabletop games online.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 14 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

FYI - if you need a virtual tabletop/map: http://roll20.net

Back in the day it was AD&D, some more modern D&D versions, Shadowrun, Hackmaster 4ed, a smattering of World of Darkness.. I typically ended up running the games more than being a player, and supplemented my drinking money with being a merc GM for some people at my phone-jockey job.

If you need some RPG humor - if you are not reading 'Knights of the Dinner Table' then you are missing out. http://www.kenzerco.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Mmmmm RPGs. I love them. I've played heaps and run a bit. D&D, Pathfinder, Legend of the Five Rings, Shadowrun, Old World of Darkness. I play in a networked oWOD LARP and help manage the website for it even.

I could go on about various characters, but I'll talk about my favorite.

He was a Vampire, embraced in the 50s from a no-name package boy for the Zerilli family. He tried time and again to make a name for himself, failing miserably every time. He would attach himself to people already in the spotlight in an attempt to leech fame and glory. He was a powerhouse, but an idiot - an unguided missile. When combat would break out, he would agree to whatever plan was presented and then do his own thing anyway. Sometimes it meant overwhelming success, sometimes utter failure. Finally he abandoned the last shreds of his humanity as he strove to become politically powerful and relevant, and died on the eve of his success. Just when all his years of planning were coming to fruition, his enemies found him in the middle of the day and dragged him into the sun. No one is even certain he's dead, and his disappearance is just another footnote. Even in final death he never managed to achieve the name and glory he so desperately wanted. It was a fun character to play - inspired by Rocco from Boondock Saints and Don Fanucci from the Godfather.

I love a good story.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

D&D is something I've looked at before, and been interested in playing, but never really had the opportunity. I never seem to have the time, and don't know anyone who's really interested. Added to that I find the many different games and versions of the games confusing. I saw a picture of the complete rule book/guide for one before, and that scared me :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 23 October 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

I saw a picture of the complete rule book/guide for one before, and that scared me :D/>

you haven’t seen the DSA rulebooks ... that is something I’d call scary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »