Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Re: Role Playing Games

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hmm... obfuscated self-examination. He is a stealthy one.

I enjoyed those sentences. Particularly the first
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 October 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

@b9 - Though it is not obvious - I believe alapee is critiquing his own post.

This was true, the quote button and me where not working well together, hence why I was confused. Let's call a single focus moment on grammar and spelling (even though in the same post I misspelled a word).

So does that mean I am the pot and the kettle?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think it means that you're black.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Oddly enough, yes. You are both the pot and the kettle. And maybe the cast iron skillet as well. Regardless, you are definitely black.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Back to Main Subject, when I was researching my RPG, I found some very interesting games that I wouldn't mind eventually Playing. Don't Rest your Head is one of them. I have been RPGing since I was 17, and have played almost every game system out there, but Don't Rest your Head has a very unique perspective on the horror rpg.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Well I went through my RPG Books This weekend and found my Dead Lands Hard Covers. I had completely forgot about my Harrowed Gunslinger Named Bob.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Talking to our SLA GM last night. He admitted that our SLA game is apparently going off in a completely random direction that he didn't think we would take. Where he had rough ideas for the next few years gaming, now he is having to reconsider everything.

I love doing that to GMs :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostBort, on 28 October 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Talking to our SLA GM last night. He admitted that our SLA game is apparently going off in a completely random direction that he didn't think we would take. Where he had rough ideas for the next few years gaming, now he is having to reconsider everything.

I love doing that to GMs :)/>/>

I used to use the randomly teleport/misty door technique when my players would go down a path or corridor wrong. Worked for a while until they started just going the other direction. I use to figure out who would screw up the quest line the most and then make alternate plans for them (usually it was the egotist of the group). Oh well it taught me to adapt and overcome and we usually have some real fun playing off the tangents.

This post has been edited by alapee: 28 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postalapee, on 28 October 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

I used to use the randomly teleport/misty door technique when my players would go down a path or corridor wrong. Worked for a while until they started just going the other direction. I use to figure out who would screw up the quest line the most and then make alternate plans for them (usually it was the egotist of the group). Oh well it taught me to adapt and overcome and we usually have some real fun playing off the tangents.

Sometimes the tangents can provide more fun than the actual adventure. Another SLA incident that happened recently was this:

One of our group is contacted by a drug dealer from Downtown (basically, the slums where no-one of import lives). Drug dealer says 'I inherited your recipe from my father, but someone else also has it, and they are pricing me out of the market. Can you help me improve the recipe so I can get my market share back'?
The member of our group who originally ivnented the drug said 'Sure' and sat down to talk details. Said group member's cousin (another member of the group) then immediately said 'Or, we could just go and take out the other gang for you.'

So, a slightly innocent-ish conversation between two pharmacists suddenly turned into a bloody power struggle which ended up with a massacre and leaving a power vacuum in the lower reaches of the dodgy part of town. Our GM said it was supposed to take up no more than half a session, but ended up going on for two because he hadn't planned for us to just go in and kill everything that moved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

My group has pseudo-branched a bit. We're still running our pirate adventure where I am Helga, the bearded bitch. However, some of the guys in the group wanted to continue a previous level 5 campaign they've dubbed "BSC" (Bat Shit Crazy) which takes places on a walled island with limited means of escape where punishment and entertainment comes in the form of arena fighting and betting on said arena fights.

So the newbies in our group (myself included) rolled up some level 5 characters.

I am Estelle, a half-elf Oracle. My chosen mystery is Heavens and my curse is Clouded Vision. I stand 6'4", weight 125lbs, with long, wild curly red hair (think Merida from Brave), and eyes like Mystic Fire Topaz.

Posted Image

I put too much thought into how my character looks in my mind than what they can actually do. Oh well... more fun for me that way!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have to agree sometimes those tangents lead to other adventure ideas. I created the no one escapes dungeon from one of them.
Original Idea: Players went into a moderately hard level dungeon and were suppose to get kill the bad things, get the loot and leave. It was suppose to be an easy way to introduce new players to the existing players' Playing style and give them some loot and xp before going on the main campaign I was still working on.
What Happened: A fireball set off by an experienced player under a confusion spell in a 10x20x10 room. He wiped the party. Then the OC talk started and they were like how did that happen. So I explained the chunky salsa effect. (They no longer allow the player to play with anything that has to do with explosions, in fact his wife has "Silenced" him in game to keep him from casting)
What came from it:
The No One Lives through this dungeon. Traps, High Level Monsters, and very interesting twist to what happens when you die in the dungeon.

All Based off a confused wizard and a fireball spell.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

These are hilarious :)

I think I'll google "DnD funny tangent" or something like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Since we're still on the subject of tangents, here is another one. This time from Space 1889 (Victorian era sci-fi set mostly on Mars).

Our group is mostly made up of British adventurers. One trip back to London, we are hired by the Foreign Office to take a stone from a museum in London back to the martian city where it was originally found and acquired by the British. In the grand scheme of things, it is a political move to get that city to ally itself with the British Empire on Mars, so our group uddenly finds itself not only transporting this supposedly sacred rock, but also playing host to the martian 'Royal family' that ran the city we are trying to ally with.

Long story short, we got ambushed and our airship got shot out of the sky. By the time we all wake up, the stone is missing, as is one of the memebrs of their Royal family. We pretty much have the following options. One, go back to our base of operations on Mars and sit around for ages worrying about how we will rebuild our aerial flyer. Two, continue on to the city without the stone and find out what is going on there. Or third, question the members of the Royal family who are still here, then march off into a trap, and from there find our way into the Martian Inventor's Guild annual meet and greet where we spend something like 2 weeks (in game) building a new aerial flyer and pretty much ignoring all plot that came beforehand.

Of course, we took option 3, so by the time the GM reminded us there was a time limit on the whole Royal family, stone and alliance thing, we barely got to the city in question before the endgame started, and the dodgy people in the city tried to make a grab for power and invited an invading army in. Oh, fun days, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

Awww.. now you have me reminiscing about a brief foray into Spelljammer.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +