14 Replies - 2321 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Major In CS

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hello everyone,
This is actually my first post on here, and I'm actually stoked that I found a rather active forum for people majoring/majored in CS/CIS.

On to the topic, I'm in my first semester in college (attending Valdosta State University) with my focus being a BA in CS.
I'm finishing up CS 1010 (basically its a Python programming class). But I started looking in to my checklist for graduation, it's pretty well rounded with programming courses (requiring a minimum of 50 hours of CS classes) the rest are math, and core classes. However looking in to the CS classes that give me the option of picking one from a few, I noticed UNIX programming on the list. Now this might sound odd (honestly idk) but I'm completely unfamiliar with UNIX. I intend on focusing on software engineering and game development. (Dream is to work for microsoft, square enix, bethesda, or any of the higher end gaming companies) Anyway getting off topic. I was wondering as to what exactly this class is, and if I am focusing on the software and game development side of CS, would it be a class worth taking or would something along the lines of Web Programming be more worth while?

Sorry for the long post, and don't let the topic limit you to what you talk about. I'm all for hearing everyones experiences and personal thoughts on things. This is my dream career so I want to know and learn everything I possibly can especially from those already in the field.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Major In CS

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Major In CS

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

That's the joys of college - your electives are available for you to explore. If you are unfamiliar with unix I would suggest looking into it and take a web dev class later. AS for what it entails - most universities teach it differently so I would hunt down the professor and ask.. or a counselor may know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

As modi said, Unix classes are taught differently all over the place. At my college, it was an IT administration class, which was a bit boring when considering most of the CS courses I took, but still an alright class. I'd find the prof who will be teaching the class and ask them. They are going to have the best idea of what materials will be covered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Is unix that widely used these days? I know that a majority of companies use C++ and JAVA. Just not really sure of the actual use of UNIX lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just not really sure of the actual use of UNIX lol.

I am not sure what the 'lol' was for, but you figure if you can get around in straight up unix then linux shouldn't be a problem.. and yes.. there are quite a few dev environments/uses for linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

lol = laugh out loud. I just meant that I am a bit ignorant to the use of it, which as a student of a CS major is kind of humorous to me.

It's been so long since I've even touch a linux, I honestly didn't know that they were still considered a good resource for todays tech world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I program almost solely on Linux machines (well virtual machines, running on a Windows host, but that's just because Microsoft Office is still the best office suite I have found -- libreOffice crashes all the time, and OpenOffice doesn't have all the features, though that's another topic altogether). The entire department I work in uses Linux as the programming environment with Windows for the Office suite.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Maybe you should spend the three months learning something new about programming in an environment different than what your used to and relatively popular, lol, instead of worrying if you're going to need this knowledge for your game development career that you've decided upon after finishing your introductory programming course lol.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

Having worked in both defense and for a large software development company, I can tell you that Linux is used anywhere. I currently develop and deploy on Linux and vastly prefer that to any Windows-based platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostGantz, on 23 November 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Maybe you should spend the three months learning something new about programming in an environment different than what your used to and relatively popular, lol, instead of worrying if you're going to need this knowledge for your game development career that you've decided upon after finishing your introductory programming course lol.

Ok Gantz,first off, don't be a dick. Secondly it's you're not your. Also my path post college wasn't decided after my introductory course, this was something I decided a few years ago. Also just because I stated I was ignorant to the use of unix, doesn't make me an idiot. I'm just not experienced in the unix language and had wondered how widely used it was. Honestly if you're going to post and just be a straight up dick, you can find another person to annoy. Also I'm not sure where you got three months from, but that is irrelevant.

@xclite and @Betawar, appreciate the input, I think I will actually take the course offered, if anything else, as a way to experience to language and see what it's all about. Even if I don't use it after college I think it will be worth knowing nonetheless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Modi was referring to your unnecessary use of chatspeak. Use standard english, and leave chatspeak back on facebook and texting. It's really rather annoying.

Either way, calm down on the names. It's also unnecessary.

Unix is the base of a wide range of Operating Systems. It's like saying learning how to program Windows would mean C# or .NET for example.

Unix is the basis of Linux, BSD, and Mac (FreeBSD). It would be at your own peril to ignore it, as even Microsoft uses it. The chances you use it are extremely high. If you use a Mac, and you know your way around Unix, you'll be substantially faster because of it.

Now most people will say that real programmers only use Unix, and they do have some point to that, but it's not such an extreme deal realistically. Unix will make your life a lot easier if you intend to do anything that's not .NET programming. Trying to get Rails or any other modern framework/language to play nice on Windows is like pulling teeth for me.

Simply said, ignore it at your own peril, it's a lot more widely used than you think.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:17 AM

First, not to sound like a dick, but you do realize that we are on a forum board, where things are typed out in a none formal manner, right? Meaning "chatspeak," as you refer to it, is technically what we are all doing. Also, the entire purpose to me asking about UNIX is because I do not know exactly what it is, which is why I am asking about it. So honestly I didn't know how widely used it was, henceforth why I asked. However with most of you stating that it is something that is recommended, then I more than likely will take it.

Also if someone is coming into the thread I started and is acting like a complete dick, then like it or not, I will call him/her as such. There is no need in making a reply just to be an ass.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Also if someone is coming into the thread I started and is acting like a complete dick, then like it or not, I will call him/her as such. There is no need in making a reply just to be an ass.

There is a report button you can use. Please avoid personal attacks. The moderation team will handle things appropriately, and the report button can be used to bring such issues to our attention.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostKlepic Mortis, on 03 December 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

If that's all it takes to get under your skin, you're in for a rough ride of life. Taking things too personally, or caring about trolls is ill-advised.

Giving credence to such things does nothing more than to diminish your image and reputation on the site, or in more layman terms: don't feed the trolls.

I will tell you that I personally will almost instantly regard someone as less intelligent and composed if they use excessive chat speak, curse excessively, do not spell correctly, and feel a compulsive need to defend against anything and everything that can be remotely construed as an attack on them. Does that mean others hold that same standard? Perhaps, perhaps not. On the same note, you're more than free to regard me as you will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostKlepic Mortis, on 03 December 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Also if someone is coming into the thread I started and is acting like a complete dick, then like it or not, I will call him/her as such.

Staying off the topic for just a moment: the fact that you started the thread gives you no ownership whatsoever. And here's a tactical tip: in the future, if you think someone's being rude to you, respond politely. It makes them look much worse.

As to your original question: you should take the courses that interest you. I'm very much a unix programmer, and I think it's the only environment in which to do any serious work, but if you're not interested, don't waste your time. It'll just annoy you. Do something that you can get excited about. Later on, you might wish you'd taken it - but if you take it just for that reason, you can be sure that the only difference will be that later on you'll wish you'd paid attention when you took it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1