8 Replies - 420 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2013 - 08:19 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

genetic algorithms to improve VCR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'm using "system.speech" library to recognize voice commands, but I want to use genetic algorithms to improve recognition, and I'm new to GAs and I've some questions:

How to implement this (what is the population in this situation? the genomes..)

Can this be done using the c# speech recognition library or should I use FFT....

Any other advice ll be apprecited. Thank you
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: genetic algorithms to improve VCR

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: genetic algorithms to improve VCR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

That seems like a silly broad topic and has a large chance of not being able to work with a closed loop of thet .NET namespace for speech recognition.

As it is - if I were to blindly approach this - I would think of what genetic algorithms are about. They take a large collection of values and apply a fitness rule to them to push the collection towards a better solution.

What is your solution you want to push them to? "Improve recognition" is hardly an explicit goal, right? Improve it how? In what context? Speed? Dialect to word translation? Broadness of recognition net?

Any regard - you would figure your collection is made up of grammar rules and you apply them to what ever fitness bar you have decided on by throwing words, dialects, etc at them... those that make it go on.. those that don't.. well.. don't.

I would highly suggest you do your research first.
http://ieeexplore.ie...umber%3D6109110

http://cdn.intechope...ral_network.pdf

https://www.scienced...957417411015909
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

I want to use GA to compare two wav files, one is already in the code and the other one is a voice command a user recored it.

I'm new to this field and I've no idea where to start from, and even if this is possible. Can you please tell me what you think about that.

Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

A few things...

Why genetic algorithms?
What do you expect is the function of the GAs?
What's the plan for the comparison?

If you do not know where to start then start describing the problem space, writing down direction/goals/milestones/actors/concepts/etc, and building a project plan.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Merging topics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

View Postmedlag, on 02 December 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Hi,

I want to use GA to compare two wav files, one is already in the code and the other one is a voice command a user recored it.

I'm new to this field and I've no idea where to start from, and even if this is possible. Can you please tell me what you think about that.

Thank you

While I'm all for throwing yourself into new concepts and learning as much as possible. It seems like you have a very rough concept worked out in your head but lack the understanding of how the details actually work. These are complex areas and an understanding of the underlying logic is essential to be able to successfully implement it.

I do not mean to be critical or put you down in any way, but I want to ensure you understand everything before proceeding, after all, you can't write a networked application if you don't understand basic networking. Theory interlaced with practice is a good path to success.

EDIT: I don't mean, don't do it, I mean, attempt to write simple GA's for simpler problems and build your way up to it.

This post has been edited by jhouns: 02 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Thank you for your answer

I finished working on an application that sends voice commands from mobile phone to my computer(WCF Server + Android client), it's working as it should, then my prof asked me to search on GA and how we can use them to improve VCR. It was the 1st time to deal with GA, after I did some search I told him it's not easy to acomplish, so he told me to take one command(ex: open), generate some “feature vectors” (vectors of numbers that represent their acoustic properties) from this wav file that contains the VC, the compare it to the audio from the user, he wants me to use GA to achieve this, but I don't know how to.

I understand the basics of GA, and I used them to find the maximum of some functions, but I don't know how to use them in this problem (what is the population in this case, the fitness....)

Can you please give me some links where I can find some useful information.

thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

Just say'n - it sounds like you need to do more research.

I literally put in "genetic algorithm voice recognition" and it came back with a dizzying amount of replies related to books, papers, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

At a guess, it sounds like you'll need to sample the wav file to determine the pattern, maybe pick the highest and lowest X number of points. Once you've practiced GA's a little, try to take the pattern of the wav (voice input), then make a fitness function that declares the strand of 'DNA' unfit if it is less than half the average deviation from the initial wav.

But I've never done anything that complex before so it's just a guess with no real foundation.

Genetic algorithms aren't hard to understand, the only real hard part about them is the fitness function. It seems you need to come up with a way to effectively quantify the wavs to a unique value mostly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1