5 Replies - 681 Views - Last Post: 30 October 2013 - 10:57 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What can I do daily to improve abailites as a game dev

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hello guys, I have a question. What can I do daily to improve my game development abilities? I am a college student that does not have a lot of time to accomplish the things I want to do. I am currently taking 19 hours and homework gets in the way of everything. I am a computer science major yes, but My classes aren't going the route I want to go to. What little time I have a day what can I do to make it benefit me more towards a game development career?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What can I do daily to improve abailites as a game dev

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What can I do daily to improve abailites as a game dev

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Program games.

I don't know that there's an easy answer, but I do know that nothing is as important as practice and "doing".

Read every book on game programming you can find and make games. It would be nice if you could focus on the exact path you need, but I'm not sure that even the experts can agree on what that path is.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

I would second BBeck. Ultimately, you simply have to program. A lot.

Don't think you have to program game stuff. You can't focus until you have a strong foundation to work from. Don't assume all the CS abstraction you learn early on has nothing to do with game development; it does.

To be a good game developer, or any kind of developer, you must be a programmer first. And game development, simply, is some of the most complex and rigorous programming you can do.

There are no short cuts. Looking for some will only make you do more work in the long run. Learn to program. Take small, logical, steps and understand everything you do. Don't let "focus" be an excuse for "ignoring the fundamentals."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Agreed. The way to get to Carnegie Hall is: practice, practice, practice.

I am not sure how your college tallies up credits, but if you find yourself with little to not spare time with nineteen credit hours perhaps scale it back to a more manageable level. The alternative is to keep your heavy course load and cut out more non-school functions and substitute videogame design instead.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostKG3UNFORGN, on 16 October 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Hello guys, I have a question. What can I do daily to improve my game development abilities? I am a college student that does not have a lot of time to accomplish the things I want to do. I am currently taking 19 hours and homework gets in the way of everything. I am a computer science major yes, but My classes aren't going the route I want to go to. What little time I have a day what can I do to make it benefit me more towards a game development career?

To put a different spin on it other then just "practice", try finding little challenges. I freelance for a lot of small game studios, and in between jobs my main goal is to broaden my knowledge of every language I can think off. Your knowledge of programming can be thought of like a pyramid. The bottom needs to super wide to be stable. The problem most people make early on is they pidgin hole themselves into just game programming. The don't build a solid foundation and then keep adding.

Another thing to do is join a couple forums and help other people. You may find some problems there that advance your own knowledge just by reading real world code and issues with it. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

View Postaidenkael, on 29 October 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Another thing to do is join a couple forums and help other people. You may find some problems there that advance your own knowledge just by reading real world code and issues with it. Good luck!

OH! Yes. I forgot that point: one of the best ways to learn is to teach. I often jump into problems that someone is asking about that I don't really know the answer to, but figure I can probably find the answer, and I end up learning quite a bit from finding the answer for their question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1