2 Replies - 1252 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Critique of paper being written

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

I have an assignment to write a paper that is on how Object Oriented Programming works along with a brief description of object classes, class inheritance, methods, arrays, and ArrayLists. It needs to be 2 pages long. I would like a critique of what I have written so far - to see if it makes sense, if I have any of the ideas wrong, etc. It is for a beginning java entry level course.

This is what I have written so far:

What is Object Oriented Programming? How does it work? These are questions that are often asked by non-programmers. The technical answer is “Object-oriented programming (OOP) is a programming language model organized around objects rather than "actions" and data rather than logic. Historically, a program has been viewed as a logical procedure that takes input data, processes it, and produces output data.” This answer can be quite mind boggling to a non-programmer, but in layman’s terms is quite simple.

Object oriented programming (OOP) is a method where objects are built and describes the way the object works with other items. The way objects in the program interacts with each other is a “method” – a set of directions that tell what is done with an object. Think of it this way – let’s give you an apple. The apple is the “object” in object oriented programming and what you do with the apple is what is called a “method.”

Let’s pretend that you want to make an apple pie with the “object” apple using OOP. With OOP, you would need to “initialize” multiple objects before you actually start making the pie. Objects such as knife, pie crust, oven, sugar and pie pan would have to be created prior to your actually starting the pie.

Once you have created the objects, you need to describe what actions you take with them. These actions are what are called methods. A simple method would be what you would do with the object. In the case of making an apple pie and the apple, you would need to create a “method” of what to do with the apple – peal it, cut it up, placing it in the pie crust, etc.

What is interesting with OOP is that you can “inherit” code. With the idea of making an apple pie, you can tell the program that a strawberry is the same as an apple but you need to change such and such method to make a strawberry pie instead of an apple pie.

What are your thoughts on what has been written? The first paragraph has a quotation that the citation was lost in the copy and paste.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Critique of paper being written

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Critique of paper being written

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

It's a decent start. Overall I would recommend being more specific. It is ok to use examples in a paper, but to be effective, the example needs to expand upon and illustrate your explanation of the topic. You seem to be using the example in place of a descriptive explanation. I think someone with no understanding of OOP reading this will think "Inheritance turns apples into strawberries" and nothing more. Always include a straightforward explanation of the concept and why it is useful. After that you can start using examples.

Don't just do this for the terms that are required by the assignment. Every time you use a programming term, you will need to explain it. So, if you are going to talk about initializing or instantiation, you will have to describe those.

As for the examples themselves, I think you would want a fruit/food class that apple and strawberry inherit from. This better suits inheritance and would go well with an explanation you come up with.

You seem to have explained what an object is (again I think this could be done a little better), but the assignment requires you to describe a class. This should probably be the first topic you explain.

I've never written for a programming class, so I am not sure with how much you can get away with, but in any literary class phrases like the following are strictly forbidden.

"Think of it this way – let’s give you an apple"
"such and such method"
"Once you have created the objects, you need to describe what actions you take with them"

You need to be clear and specific. You are also not interacting with the reader. You are just giving a description. For example, the last phrase should be more like "Once objects are created, it is necessary to perform actions on them". It might seem a little awkward and you may have to adjust your entire writing style, but it can help make your paper much more readable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Critique of paper being written

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thank you very much for the critique. I appreciate it! Trying to do what you suggest and keeping it within the two-page, double spaced limit is going to be hard but I will do what I can. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1