2 Replies - 1367 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

can i get into a good school for comp sci with poor math grades

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

im in high school at the moment and i have taken two comp sci classes ( intro and AP) and have gotten a B or better in both. however, throughout my highschool career i have gotten shit math grades and high english / history grades. Will colleges care because im afraid since my math grades are in the c range they wont accept me ( i have a 3.0 GPA)

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 18 October 2013 - 08:12 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed vulgarity from the title

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: can i get into a good school for comp sci with poor math grades

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: can i get into a good school for comp sci with poor math grades

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Assuming you aren't trying to head somewhere really high up in the clouds/ivory tower.. sure.. it shouldn't be a large issue.. Though this is why you have school guidance counselors - sic them on the schools you are interested in and leverage their networking.

Of course some schools do require a math entrance exam as well.. that might screw things up if you are truly horrible at math.

edit: this of course excludes the SAT/ACTs.

edit-edit: any reason why you are repeating topics?
http://www.dreaminco...for-math-idiot/

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 18 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: can i get into a good school for comp sci with poor math grades

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Colleges look at GPA, class ranking, and SATs or other such metrics. The particulars are probably too particular for most admissions boards.

That said, if you don't have a firm grounding in mathematics now, a computer science degree program will kick your ass. Guaranteed. You don't want to be playing math catchup when there's new stuff to learn as well.

I'm not a math guy, either, and got a minor in computer science. ( I r da English majer. ) I work professionally as a programmer ( well, DBA/developer/resident nerdy bearded guy) and the degree itself never seemed to matter. What does matter, to most employers, is that you got a degree at all. The minor got me in the door with most places I wanted a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1