3 Replies - 507 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Seeking Direction in Choosing Language/Method for Project

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi, this is my first post and I am new to web programming, as is quite evident if you look at the current state of my web site (www.picotopia.org.) My focus thus far has been on sys admin since I host the site on my own server but I want to develop my skills further on this available platform now that I've got it up and running.

I run a web site which serves only as an apache mirror and would like to develop it into something more as a means to learn IT skills in the areas of development, data management, security, and have my site serve as a project which exemplifies my abilities to potential employers, as I am seeking to re-enter the IT field.

For now I want to create an area something similar to myspace for musicians-- post several mp3 files as an album with cover image, song title, length, and most importantly, be able to easily get feedback in the form of a thumbs-up or + for songs people like (mySQL is my preferred database.) I don't want people to have to create any sort of account to do this but I would prefer to be able to differentiate unique visitors so as not to count one person's thumbs-up/+ more than once on a given song.

I'll assume I can do something like this with PHP or Python or Java servlets and that Java servlets might be overkill in terms of enterprise capabilities not necessary for a personal web site-- please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's also assume a preference for something entry-level in terms of not being an experienced programmer and my free time being very limited and valualbe, i.e., being able to get up to speed in the chosen technology quickly is a big plus, which means easily learned (stepping stone) and lots of available help online (free is best!).

What considerations should I have in deciding between PHP, Python, Java servlets, or any other solutions available? What can you recommend to me given my circumstances and why?

Thanks in advance for helping steer this noob in a productive direction!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Seeking Direction in Choosing Language/Method for Project

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Seeking Direction in Choosing Language/Method for Project

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

PHP and javascript.. it's tried and true route.

Python would be a separate ball of wax, and java servelets are limiting in scope and reasonable use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

If you had to start over from the beginning to learn PHP and Javascript, what resources would you recommend?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Grab a well rated book, keep the php docs website on hand for documentation, plan all the features you need, mark the ones that are gold plating, and set goals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1