[Rant] My Java Teacher

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 3715 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Rant] My Java Teacher

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

My high school teaches .Net before Java, so I skipped Programming I for Programming II (Java).
The beginning of the class had us write a program that prints out our name.
Pretty simple: my program asked the user for their name and welcomed them ("Welcome {name}!").

I got a zero.

Apparently my program was "too complex" and I needed to "stick to the guidelines".

I just finished writing an assignment on using a dynamic array along with solving for the Fibonacci sequence.
In her example she used simple x+y addition, but I used function that would solve for the Nth digit only using the number five[1].

I'm going to be pissed if I fail this assignment too, even though I finish the tests in less than a minute. :angry:/>

/End-Rant

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Rant] My Java Teacher

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: [Rant] My Java Teacher

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

I really dislike this type of teaching. You shouldn't be penalizing students who go the extra mile. Even though it's not point to point on the assignment guidelines, if the solution offers/demonstrates the learning outcomes of the assignment, the student should be awarded positively.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

I am getting.. that you know java then? Any particular reason you are taking the class and not just testing out or going into an independent study?

If your teacher is one of those "keep-the-huddle-moving-together-at-the-same-pace" types then why not do as the assignment asks, the way the class was presented, and keep your advanced code out of it?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 October 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

I am getting.. that you know java then? Any particular reason you are taking the class and not just testing out or going into an independent study?

If your teacher is one of those "keep-the-huddle-moving-together-at-the-same-pace" types then why not do as the assignment asks, the way the class was presented, and keep your advanced code out of it?

There are no other programming classes than .Net and Java, which I'm familiar with, but I need the credit to take the AP CS course.

Oh yeah, I'm also very hard headed. Honestly, I think she doesn't understand some of it since she blames everything on the compiler and the machine (no offense to basically everyone here).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

I remember being in the same situation. I was given a UML diagram to be implemented in Java yet I made some of the variables constant (as they should have been) but got marked down because I was going out of the given design document.

To be honest it was a lesson very well learned from then on (and it still applies now). In a commercial application you don't go adding new stuff that you think will make the system better (even if it does make it a lot better). There are a load of other factors to take into account such as wasted dev time if the client doesn't actually want that feature, extra testing etc etc.

Stick to the requirements given to you. No more, no less. As modi said, if you feel like making it better then keep it to the side and submit the worse program that confirms to the design docs.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Oh yeah, I'm also very hard headed. Honestly, I think she doesn't understand some of it since she blames everything on the compiler and the machine (no offense to basically everyone here).

Welcome to high school. I do feel bad for you. I've been in a similar situation, and I think a lot of people have been here as well. Grin and bear it for now. It gets better as you get into more advanced college classes. Perhaps talk with your instructor about extra work you can do to learn. As has been said, side projects are great! They keep you interested and learning, and less focused on the crappy assignments. Hopefully you'll take the attitude of getting them done so you can get onto more interesting work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

In the world of computer science, project spec is king. Don't give people less than they asked for, and don't give them more. If you learn to follow spec, then you won't have these problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like this isn't someone you really want to help out, but you could offer to be a sort of "TA" - help out with the class, run some labs or help tutor people who aren't getting it. If this isn't possible, you should talk to the person who teaches the AP CS course, and see if you can test into that one.

Clearly, you're wasting your time at this point, and I expect you can easily keep three jumps ahead of the class, so it's no good to anyone for you to suffer through it.

If these things fail, and you can't get around it, there are certainly plenty of things to work on.

There's good problem sets at projecteuler.net and rosalind.info. The rosalind.info people are running a course in bioinformatics on coursera, which looks like it'll be interesting (it's starting up in November, I think)

There's tons of math to learn - discrete math and linear algebra are going to be useful later on, so you might as well start taking a look at them now. Set theory and logic sort of runs alongside the math you're doing in school, and doesn't depend on anything you haven't studied, so you can do that if you want. Number theory is totally cool, and you can certainly start looking at it any time. You'll run into things that you don't know how to work with yet, but that'll just give you reasons to work harder on calculus or whatever.

There's no harm in starting to look at algorithms - there's some math required for the really formal study, which you probably don't have yet, but you can get a lot from a naive and practical understanding of the sorts and the basic structures and how they work.

There's a ton of stuff to learn. Pick something and start learning it. If there's other smart kids that you want to hang around with, start a computing club and learn some of these things together. If there's a math or science teacher who seems reasonably cool, tell them what's going on and ask them for advice. They've been there longer than you have, they know the drill, and maybe they'll have a good idea for you. If not, no harm - you can just keep on in your own way.

And if you still have to turn in a basic tic-tac-toe assignment once in a while, at least you'll know you're getting ahead on your own terms as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

I agree with the general consensus here, conform your code to the specifications because that is sometimes what the syllabus requires. Since you already know java to some extent (at least a little more than the course requires) I suggest you help out your peers who find the course difficult. I know that getting a zero on an assignment that works is pissing off ( I got marked down myself for using a different ER diagram notation in my DBMS class) but that is way the bureaucracy works sometimes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 ybadragon  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I hated teachers like this in high school. I failed quite a few assignments for doing work that was "to complex". Luckily when I got to college my professor didn't care how complex or simple your wok was so long as it completed the task at hand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

My high-school didn't have programming classes until after I graduated. Even then it was like Visual Basic or something lame.

You shouldn't have been scolded for showing off, & I agree that you should try to just test out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

Following directions is just as important as completing the assignment. Don't bring this attitude to work writing code. Your employer and fellow employees will not appreciate it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well, I recieved a zero for submitting my project in an uncrompressed .zip, because she didn't know how to open it.

My faith is gone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

If she doesn't know how to do her job, perhaps it's something to discuss with the principal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

i had failed a college intro to computers course before

reason I failed:
turned in all my assignements and took all my tests in 3 days-- didnt go back to class rest of the semester. He failed me because he said 60% of the grade was showing up for class which was not in the syllabus. I had got almost all perfect on tests and assignments.

School wouldnt let people to test out of this class...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +