• +

29 Replies - 3448 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Rant] My Java Teacher

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostOloty, on 15 November 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Well, I recieved a zero for submitting my project in an uncrompressed .zip, because she didn't know how to open it.

My faith is gone.

Did other people in the class have this problem? What did they do differently from you?
Rather than railing at the failures of this teacher, maybe you should think about finding ways to succeed.

because she didn't know how to open it

Really? Or was it maybe because she had specified a way to submit assignments, and you didn't follow instructions? Many CS teachers use automated assignment graders, and it's quite possible that she didn't feel like massaging your submission into a form that would pass the grader. Unfair? Maybe. Understandable? Definitely.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's a highschool teacher, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just being a pain in the ass.

At the same time there may be some validity to what jon says.

Don't have enough information either way.

Thing is bitching to us isn't going to change anything. Either follow the rules, or talk to a guidance counselor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Intro to programming classes suck. This is pretty much a universal truth. Nothing is stopping you from learning. Your assignments are just constraints on your time. You gotta do them and turn them in. Take this as an opportunity to prepare yourself for the AP CS exam or some sort of college exam to test out of the equivalent class when you get there.

As for your instructor, I can believe a high school teacher sucks that much. I've had phenomenal and horrid high school CS/Math teachers in my day. If you elect to complain to guidance, the administration, etc., class probably won't improve much, if at all. You're roughly halfway through the year. Don't expect them to fire the instructor this year. Even if the instructor gets fired next year, it won't be of any help to you.

I echo lordofduct's sentiments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

I feel your pain. In my introduction to object oriented programming class, our first program was to do ASCII art to put put "C++". It was essentially hello world.

So, for example:

cout << "*****" <<"  ** "<<"  ** "<< endl;
cout << "*     "<< "****"<<"****" << endl;
cout << "*****" <<"  ** "<<"  ** "<< endl;

I put spaces in between each cout, because I found it to be more readable and got a zero.
cout << -stuff-

cout << -stuff-

It was the only programming class I ever got a C+ in while I was at that school because of a ridiculous grading method. A lot of professors want to challenge you but they don't know the difference between challenging material and being petty about grading.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 15 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Exercises are usually designed to test if you have understood the latest part of the course. In a CS101 class, a fibonacci question wants to test you can do loops or possibly recursion. At this stage, memoisation is an unlikely outcome but would probably be welcomed by the instructor. Any idiot can look up Wikipedia and find a formula to calculate fibonacci numbers in constant time.

Is it just me or did you just site your own blog on that one? I haven't seen a solution expressed in that way before. Do you have a background in maths or something else that gives you a deeper insight?

The beginning of the class had us write a program that prints out our name.
Pretty simple: my program asked the user for their name and welcomed them ("Welcome {name}!").

Sounds harsh, and maybe it was. Is it also possible you misread the question? I see a lot of very capable students lose marks because they are careless with the requirements. It sounds like you might have written the wrong program, like being asked to calculate the interest on an account but writing a program to complete the tax return instead. These students often write programs that the rest of the class is incapable of but are so engrossed in their own plans that they miss key points.

Well, I recieved a zero for submitting my project in an uncrompressed .zip, because she didn't know how to open it.

No sympathy there, I'm afraid. Follow the submission guidelines and you won't run into problems like this. Maybe she can open zip files or maybe she can't. It doesn't matter because she has to mark a large class' work and nobody is a special enough snowflake to bother with if they can't follow the guidelines.

My faith is gone.

Mea culpa! Mea culpa!

On the bright side, if you engage with your teacher, show you can do the work as required and still push yourself to the limit, you might find she is willing to engage with you to help you further. Maybe as you say her technical skills are behind yours but she still might be able to help you find internships or college places.

But not if you alienate her.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

You're going to hate me for saying this, but whatever you do, DO NOT BE CLEVER. Do only what you need to, nothing more and nothing less. Project Specifications are the law of the land in Software Engineering, accomplish only what needs to be done. Getting into a habit of over-engineering and premature optimization is a bad idea.

Be clever on your time, outside of the assignments. Failing is not worth "sticking it to the teacher." Accept that know and it'll be a lot smoother of a ride. The biggest thing in the entire industry is to know people, and in this case the person you need to know is the professor. Know that he doesn't want clever, and that's unfortunate.

The people that have the hardest time in actual Engineering are the ones that are incredibly clever but have NO people skills or empathy to speak of. They make a lot of enemies because people just don't understand their supposed brilliance, rules, or anything else. It's a horrible slope to get on.

That being said, look into Sandi Metz's Practical Object Oriented Ruby and Code Complete 2 by Steve McConnell. They'll give you a good basis to work off of.

If you want to be clever, we can help you here. Just ask.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostNecroWinter, on 15 November 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

It was the only programming class I ever got a C+ in while I was at that school because of a ridiculous grading method. A lot of professors want to challenge you but they don't know the difference between challenging material and being petty about grading.

Now THAT'S ironic
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostLemur, on 18 November 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

You're going to hate me for saying this, but whatever you do, DO NOT BE CLEVER. Do only what you need to, nothing more and nothing less. Project Specifications are the law of the land in Software Engineering, accomplish only what needs to be done. Getting into a habit of over-engineering and premature optimization is a bad idea.

This is no different in the real world and is the sole reason I don't want to be a software engineer. Instead, I prefer prototyping and research, as there's a lot more freedom on that from. Also, I skipped the horrid Intro to Java course at GaTech, but I'm helping my friend through it now, and the requirements are a mite bit insane. But you gotta follow the guidelines!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 19 November 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostLemur, on 18 November 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

This is no different in the real world and is the sole reason I don't want to be a software engineer. Instead, I prefer prototyping and research, as there's a lot more freedom on that from. Also, I skipped the horrid Intro to Java course at GaTech, but I'm helping my friend through it now, and the requirements are a mite bit insane. But you gotta follow the guidelines!

Does a Carpenter take liberty to be clever in building? No, that's the job of the architect. The architect drafts and pulls together the plan. Depending on the architect, they may accept ideas or they may not. That's not your call.

Of course most skilled carpenters have ideas, but they have to inevitably become an architect to really see them shine. Whether that be by working their way up by proving worth or starting their own practice, they must make it to that level.

The same goes for Software. Most engineers have an inlaid desire for architecture, but need to develop it. Some leaders encourage this, others squash it.

I for one have a leader that encourages it. Again, it's all about the people and you'd be fooling yourself to think it won't be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

td;dr

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

*rolling my eyes* Really?

Are you advocating a 100% rebellion from everything in your life that may be similar to another persons, or any form of structure required of you to follow? It's an intro to programming class and not Tiananmen Square.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

I didnt know they taught how to make coffee in highschool
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

I was in a similar position as you, but opposite: After a year of Java, in which my teacher strongly encouraged us to go the extra mile, and rewarded it, my online C++ teacher penalized me for doing that. Craziness. "That wasn't in the spec. x points off"

Gagh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostOloty, on 15 November 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

My faith is gone.

If your professor doesn't know how to open a .zip file...maybe she shouldn't be a computer science professor.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +